The Dark Knight Rises - Spoilers marked please!

Chindie

I have not seen any of this trilogy so this was the first for me to see, yes you really have to put your self above some of the inconceivable stuff because its Batman not a documentry. but there is a lot of it.

Loved the Bain character it has to be said but a film well worth seeing

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stayed true to the over the top and sometimes cheesy comic book nature instead of going 100% serious

Eh?

Tons of cheese: Bane's voice, Robin, whole over the top prison thing, ending that was not a twist but more of a natural progression with a conclusion as opposed to a cliff hanger (like Inception), simulated violence as opposed to real violence (you don't actually see anything nasty the camera always pans away). Coming out of the cinema a few tools were complaining that it was a bit unbelievable. IT'S **** BATMAN!

:bang:

Saw it last night and have to say I was a bit disappointed. As someone mentioned earlier, the bar was set real high after The Dark Knight.

I'm not saying it was bad, but I was expecting a 9/10 and it was more like a 7 for me.

Lots of things I loved about it, but plenty I wasn't keen on.

Would still recommend it but it wasn't the classic I'd hoped for.

Well I finally saw it. First off I did like it. It wasn't as good as The Dark Knight but then TDK is one of my favourite films. There were plenty of groany cheesy lines and scenes, usually involving Hathaway in one way or another. Bane's voice took a while to get used to and I couldn't hear 100% of the words he was saying. Some of the less anunciated stuff got away from me, though it probably wasn't critical to hear it. I couldn't help thinking at the time that some of the dialogue, particularly from Gordon-Levitt, was spoilerish. Spoilers within it's own film. A novel touch I thought. But overall it was pretty much as I expected, so I wasn't disappointed. I did find myself looking at my watch a few times though which I didn't expect to do.

3 different 'twists' was a nice touch though. Granted, one was the big twist but still, I didn't see it coming tbh. I should've known. F**king French chick.

stayed true to the over the top and sometimes cheesy comic book nature instead of going 100% serious

Eh?

Tons of cheese: Bane's voice, Robin, whole over the top prison thing, ending that was not a twist but more of a natural progression with a conclusion as opposed to a cliff hanger (like Inception), simulated violence as opposed to real violence (you don't actually see anything nasty the camera always pans away). Coming out of the cinema a few tools were complaining that it was a bit unbelievable. IT'S **** BATMAN!

:bang:

I didn't find Bane cheesy in the slightest, prison yes I agree, a little contrived - Robin? Oh come on, it was just a name, we don't see him donning a mask in the movie do we?

Compared to TDK, this movie probably has more of a comic book feel to it but at no point did I think that anything was too over-the-top (apart from the prison, but that feeling dissipated after a while)

After watching it again last night, i'll agree with those who said it improves on repeat viewing. I let the (many) flaws wash over me and just enjoyed the spectacle.

I am being sent on an errand to pick this up today, if it looks any good I mite get one for myself as well

41mxxMp4BjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

In 2005, director Christopher Nolan redefined the Batman legend with Batman Begins, staring Christian Bale as the Caped Crusader. A fresh, dynamic reboot of the franchise, Batman Begins explored the comic book hero's origins and his evolution from billionaire Bruce Wayne to dark avenger who fights crime and corruption in Gotham City. A 2008 sequel, The Dark Knight, took those compelling character-driven foundations and raised the stakes, pitting Batman against a deranged master criminal, the Joker, in an all-out war for Got ham's soul. Now, the final film of Nolan's trilogy, The Dark Knight Rises, is the summer's most anticipated film release.

Show More

Show Less

As a big fan of what Mr. Nolan has done with the Batman character in his "Dark Knight Trilogy", this book is 300+ pages of pure joy! Every aspect of the filmmaking process is detailed in the book, accompanied by hundreds of photos (many of which I have never seen published before).

Here are the Chapters contained in the book:

1. Screenplay - how the concept of the films was born with Nolan & David Goyer, writing the scripts, and taking inspiration from the comics when crafting the story.

2. Production Design - building the sets, scouting & dressing locations, designing Batman's vehicles. Includes some concept art.

3. Cast - casting the characters, insight into the actors' process. One of the best aspects of the films is that Nolan assembles a very strong cast, even in smaller supporting roles. Obviously, much of the focus is placed on selecting Christian Bale to play Bruce Wayne.

4. Costumes & Makeup - discussion about the costumes of the film, including plenty of costume sketches. Includes detail about the evolution of Batman's suit, the Joker's makeup, Bane's mask, etc.

5. The Shoot: Batman Begins - a chronicle of the 129-day shoot, Nolan's directing style, filming on location, shooting the Tumbler chase, etc,

6. The Shoot: The Dark Knight - filming in Chicago, IMAX cameras, the hospital explosion, etc.

7. The Shoot: The Dark Knight Rises - filming in Pittsburgh and India, shooting the opening plane sequence practically, destroying a football stadium, etc.

8. Special Effects & Stunts - insight into the stunt work with effects coordinator Chris Corbould. This covers most of the big fight sequences and stunts in the three films and how they were achieved.

9. Editing, Music, and Sound - Lee Smith on editing the films, and specifically how be cut effectively between parallel story lines and action. Scoring the film, including quotes from composers Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard. Designing the film's sounds and mixing them effectively with the music (they discuss the clarity issue of Bane's voice).

10. Visual Effects - It seems like these films used every method of visual effects available, from models and miniatures to computer-generated effects. Specific topics include creating digital bats and the monorail crash in Batman Begins, the ferry boat sequence from The Dark Knight, and the stadium explosions in The Dark Knight Rises.

11. Marketing - A discussion about the promotion of the films. This includes traditional methods like posters (with over a dozen poster images in the book) to the unique "viral marketing" that emphasized social media to get the audience to participate in the marketing. Other topics include screening the IMAX prologues and San Diego Comic-Con.

The book also includes a foreword by Christopher Nolan and an introduction by Michael Caine. Also, printed at the end of the book is a tribute that Nolan wrote about Heath Ledger, titled "Charisma as Natural as Gravity" (originally published in Newsweek in 2008).

This is the best book about the Batman films I have ever seen, and it is one of the best "making of" movie books in general. The detail in both the text and the photographs is very impressive, and I am so excited to be able to have this wonderful book in my collection.

You're not, I just saw those in a store today and thought it was pretty amusing that they were making kids' toys based on a trilogy that's so dark and often deemed "not suitable for kids."

But are they actually toys or are they the kind of toys that geeks buy and keep in the original package?

Pah, geeks these days are buying these. If they can afford them... The days of the collectible kids toy are largely over.

finally saw it last night.

loved it. Slots in at number 2 for me, 1>3>2. Glad it dialed back the action of 2 and had more of the character stuff of one. Very satisfying conclusion. Had no problem with it at all really, although I want to see it again because the main twist caught me out entirely, so will be interesting to see if it was telegraphed earlier on.

Had no problem with it at all really, although I want to see it again because the main twist caught me out entirely, so will be interesting to see if it was telegraphed earlier on.

for me the moment you saw her scar during the fireplace scene they'd given it away, i knew she was up to no good, dont know why they did it

Had no problem with it at all really, although I want to see it again because the main twist caught me out entirely, so will be interesting to see if it was telegraphed earlier on.

seriously? that was the most predictable twist ive ever seen. would have been a major twist if it turned out alfred or fox was involved. no-one would have expected that

Hooray!

I can finally re-enter this thread.

Saw it last night at "The Giant Screen"

Really enjoyed it. Loved it in fact. It might be the weakest of the 3, in my opinion, but it's still bloody good.

No spoilers, but I didn't get "the twist" until about a minute before it happened, they'd made it pretty obvious by then.

And I totally confused myself at the end by somehow missing something

I somehow managed to tune out for the brief moment they discovered he'd got the autopilot to work, so when he turned up in Italy where Alfred goes, I was thinking "Well that's bullshit, he survived an atomic bomb?!".

My housemate had to explain it to me on the way home :D

Â