The Dark Knight Rises - Spoilers marked please!

Chindie

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been avoiding everything related to TDKR over the past few days.

I've just discovered that I can't actually have Friday off either. To combat this I have decided to go and see TDKR at 5am on Friday morning in the IMAX with some mates. We're pulling an all nighter as the first two Batman films are on at the IMAX from 11:30pm the night before. Basically it's all three Batman films back-to-back in the IMAX. It's going to be a long time in the cinema and I'll be going straight to work after it, yet it just has to be done...

By the way kurtsimonw, I don't think anywhere in the UK is showing it at midnight as they're going for w worldwide launch. If it was at midnight then we would be able to see it before those in the States.

The Hollywood Reporter review is apparently spoiler central, avoid.

Other haves been dropping, Empire and Total Film both award full marks though both also point out it's not without it's flaws and also that it is not a film that betters it's predecessor, but I think we expected that anyway.

Both are slightly odd reviews actually, the Empire one in particular seems very cautious about giving anything away and hints that theres more than we might have expected from the film... but then also says that if you know the comic lore you're not going to be surprised by anything in it. They're curiously coy on Bane, barely mention Hardy's role. There are numerous references to the film being 'Bond-esque' across the reviews, which is interesting and makes me wonder exactly what they're getting at with that. I wonder if it's to do with the more global aspects to the film - we know that for a considerable amount of the film Wayne is abroad...

Either way both point out that it's a superb film regardless of any small flaws (which include a baggy middle - which I expected) and we should once again, be excited. The only poor word so far seems to be coming from a bloke who just hates Nolan's movies anyway, who's not put out a full review yet but has said it's not as good as TDK and calls it hollow.

EDIT - as for seeing it, depending on other circumstances I might do what I did for the Avengers and pop off to see it on Friday early afternoon on my tod. My mates won't be happy but I'll see it again regardless...

The Daily Heil awarded it a glorious 2/5. With the curious verdict of 'Spectacular - but overly long and incomprehensible'.

Given what the Heil knows about... er... anything, it must be incredible.

Roger Ebert awards it 3/4 and you couldn't pay me enough to read what he's actually said about it because since he got ill he has a habit of putting out the entire plot at some point in the review.

I've been invited to an advanced screening to watch this film this evening but I probably won't go. I know someone who went to an advanced screening in America last night and he said it was boring. This person is a huge batman fan so I was very surprised to hear him say that! Personally I don't see what all the fuss is about. It's just a film! Batman hasn't appealed to me since I was a kid. I honestly thought the last one was shit for the majority of it. Don't cry though lads, it's only an opinion! If I do go to this advanced screening I will post my spoilerless thoughts when I get home. The fact that I'm not that bothered about batman films and that it is on for near enough three hours will almost certainly be enough to put me off going.

Just got back in from watching it, I was impressed, does not feel long at all, much more watchable all the way through then TDK in my opinion. That's all I will say until everyone else has had a chance to watch it.

Just got back in from watching it, I was impressed, does not feel long at all, much more watchable all the way through then TDK in my opinion. That's all I will say until everyone else has had a chance to watch it.

Did you think TDK was good?

Roger Ebert awards it 3/4 and you couldn't pay me enough to read what he's actually said about it because since he got ill he has a habit of putting out the entire plot at some point in the review.

Bah, Roger Ebert. Rarely agree with his opinions these days, plus he's as obnoxiously snobbish a person as I have ever seen. Anyone who gives crappy movies like Immortals or Real Steel good reviews doesn't deserve my respect :evil: :D

Ebert does waiver into crazy on some of his reviews these days. He's usually fairly on the money for me (although increasingly pretentious too) but once in a while he comes out with a completely crazy review - Prometheus was 4/4 and basically given a review suggesting it was not only a great piece of cinema, but an important one too.

Harry Knowles from Ain't It Cool News is 'profoundly disappointed' with it. I'm not even going to contemplate reading any more because he has a habit of no holds barred with spoilers in his write ups and also because he's a rabid fan boy it'll be full of stuff I don't give a toss about.

Harry Knowles from Ain't It Cool News is 'profoundly disappointed' with it. I'm not even going to contemplate reading any more because he has a habit of no holds barred with spoilers in his write ups and also because he's a rabid fan boy it'll be full of stuff I don't give a toss about.

Worried, Chindie? :D

Not at all.

I'm confident that Nolan will have put out a really good film. The only question all along has been where in the trilogy it will fit in terms of quality. Initially I was sure it would be the weakest. In time I've been coming round to the fact that it might settle in ahead of Begins (helped by a rewatch of Begins last week that enlightened me as to that film's faults) in second. I think TDK is fairly unsurmountable, it has a pretty perfect storm of elements and has inspiration from incredible source materials (both the comic arcs that inspired it, and the movies that are clearly in it's DNA - TDK has the influence of Heat dripping off it and I love that) and even the faults it has can be brushed over.

Harry Knowles I guarentee will be whinging about it not being Batman-y enough for him. It won't have enough of the comics in it for him. As much as I am a comic fan, I also understand that Nolan's doing his own swing on things and there are elements/inspirations taken from the comics and he's bent them to his own vision. I'm alright with that. His Batman isn't the same beast that was in the comics. His Batman is rather more the masked vigilante than the comics focus on him being a little more than that. Batman in the comics is scary, if you're a criminal - he'll hide in the shadows and pick you off, you're not entirely sure if it is just a guy in a suit. Nolan's only touched on that once in the entire run so far, his first full appearance as Batman in Begins at the docks. He wholesale chucked the idea away in TDK - and I didn't really care, I was still convinced by this Batman and I enjoyed it, it's just one of any number of takes on the character. His Joker has select elements of the traditional character but twisted to the world he wanted. His Bane will no doubt be similar. There's always been enough of the original characters in these movies for me to enjoy them as both a comic geek and a movie fan.

I think Nolan might have stepped a little further away from the accepted wisdom of the characters this time, and that's going to be what will really piss off the fanboys. For me, the things I've heard about the film from the select reviews I've read have me increasingly interested in what the film is and not just excited. It's been described as having Dickensian elements, for instance. Thats an interesting premise.

Â