The Dark Knight Rises - Spoilers marked please!

Chindie

No idea where to shove this really, and any thread will be dead by the time the thing comes out, but since the last one was so popular...

Dismissing Hollywood's current wave of 3-D movies, the 40 year-old said he was not planning to shoot the film in the popular format, instead using Imax and high-definition cameras.

The film, due in cinemas next summer, will also have new characters.

After the director disclosed the film's new name, Warner Bros confirmed the new title for the third adventure about the DC Comics vigilante.

While declining to disclose many of the new film's details, he did confirm The Riddler, one of the key bad guys in the comics and past film and TV Batman tales, would not feature.

The character was played by Jim Carrey in Batman Forever, the 1995 film that was panned by critics.

"It won't be The Riddler," the British director told the Los Angeles Times.

"We'll use many of the same characters as we have all along and we'll be introducing some new ones.

"This is not starting over, this is not rebooting."

He said he wanted "the look and feel of the film to be faithful to what has come before".

Tom Hardy, the British actor who starred in Nolan's latest film Inception, is tipped to play a villain in the new movie.

Sir Michael Caine, who played Bruce Wayne's butler Alfred in the first two films, also seems likely to reprise his role.

The previous release in the Batman franchise, 2008's The Dark Knight, is the seventh highest-grossing film of all time.

Warner Bros agreed with Nolan's argument that the sequel should resist the 3-D craze, he told the paper's Hero Complex blog.

Earlier this year, Nolan said he would not resurrect the Joker, the cackling villain played by Heath Ledger, the late Australian actor, in "The Dark Knight."

Ledger won a best supporting-actor Oscar for the role, a year after he died of an accidental overdose of prescription drugs.

The new film is due out on July 20 2012.

Link

So, it's not in 3D (yay!), it hasn't got the Riddler (yay!), and it's called the Dark Knight Rises (er... cynical connection to Dark Knight that seems overly pointless for me but hey). Tom Hardy isn't a bad addition to any cast but, if he is playing the villain, **** knows who they're going for. At least it isn't the Riddler who was always a bollocks Batman villain, who unless done perfectly ends up being Joker-lite.

2 years to wait!

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zsasz has already appeared in the Nolan series and would be a spectacularly boring villain. Unless Nolan wants to turn Batman into a police procedural film and really challenge himself to make that something special.

He's a better villian than you give him credit for.

Can't think of many others that would fit in Nolans style though, too many of Batmas villains are a tad far fetched. The Ventriliquist would be good though, if done right.

carolgees.jpg

Zsasz is simply a hackneyed serial killer. Not the kind of thing that is going to make a Batman film wow audiences.

I feel they might struggle for a villain though. The notable ones won't work in a realistic setting, and the ones that will (to an extent) are shit or no-ones heard of them.

It's funny actually how many superheroes have bollocks enemies outside of a select few.

Shame. I like to think Nolan could have done something quite clever with The Riddler in the context of the last two films... I suppose the fragrance of Carrey's bigfoot's dick of a Riddler is too fresh in the memory.

The Penguin it is then. Played by Danny Dyer.

I assumed it would be the penguin. I'm sure Nolan could blend the penguin in withhis style.

Hope it's not a let down, loved the Dark Knight and Batman Begins is a very good film too, so a nice third to tie it all off would be great.

"resurrecting the joker" would be a **** terrible idea. No-one would be able to play it like Ledger did (which was perfect in my opinion) so what would be the point?

I think the idea of resurrecting the Joker was down to Nolans films being influenced by 'The Long Halloween' Batman comics, in which after Batman stops The Joker he plans an escape from Arkham Asylum, in which a fuckload of baddies leg it lead by Mr Dent.

A lot of people thought Nolan was following this storyline, and it isn't a bad one.

The Riddler also plays a big part in this though, and Nolan has already cancelled him, Mr Freeze (dammit!) and the Penguin out (apparently).

I think Catwoman will be in it though, she's just as important as Joker/Two-face in Batmans world. She's just had a few shit portrayals. In Frank Millers comics she's a dirty whore. So Marion Cotillard as a skanky cat burglar. Yes please.

Oh, and there will also be a big **** open ending for WB to cash in on a few years down the line.

The Dark Knight was honestly one of the best films I have ever watched, it was brilliant, Heath Ledger's joker was dark enough to be one of the best movie villains.

Not a big fan of 3D, it okay for a lighthearted kid film, but Dark Knight was brillant without it, so don't see why we need to change it.

Nolan's expressly said he won't film it in 3D. It even says so in the article. He believes 3D ruins the picture (which it does) by dimming it, so won't indulge the current false desire for it on a solely technical level.

I assumed it would be the penguin. I'm sure Nolan could blend the penguin in withhis style.

Hope it's not a let down, loved the Dark Knight and Batman Begins is a very good film too, so a nice third to tie it all off would be great.

"resurrecting the joker" would be a **** terrible idea. No-one would be able to play it like Ledger did (which was perfect in my opinion) so what would be the point?

The Penguin is a problem because you either have to play him incredibly straight (in which case he's just a funny looking gangster) or really camp and kitsch, in which case you may as well just cut in scenes of Danny Devito from Batman Returns.

Just further highlights the problems with the Batman villains. He could do what he did with Begins, where he picks a a villain nobody's heard of and neglects the more extreme parts of their characterisation (Ra's Al Ghul in the comics is effectively immortal for instance), but I'm not sure which ones you'd pick which aren't so defined by their outlandish gimmicks that they'd be fairly pointless putting in. Honestly though, check out the full roster of Batman villains, they're largely bollocks.

I would imagine that a role will be found for Jospeh Gordon-Levitt as well as Hardy. Really top performances in Inception.

Always thought he would be the perfect replacement for Heath Ledger's Joker tbh. They share a very similar look.

128874806770315975.jpg

Â