Richard

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as a loss as Osbourne. So huge.

Lmao

Gotta say this guy has taken the mick out of us as a club

He wasn't wanted where he was but didn't have the bottle to say no to being a make weight in another deal so we end up holding the baby, literally.

I respect him even less than Unsworth

I'm astounded by this.. What has he done that's "taken the mick out of us as a club"?

He hasn't once badmouthed the club, the manager or his colleagues in the press. He has turned up for training when asked to, he has trained with the reserves and youth team when asked to.

He signed for a club in crisis, with a caretaker manager and was nothing but complimentary about the club when he signed. He WANTED to come here. It was a culture shock to him, leaving the club he had been at since the age of 15 but he WANTED to sign for us. He refused to sign for Sunderland and Everton and signed for Villa.

The only thing that he is guilty of is poor performance in the few games he has played for us. There are mitigating factors but people on here have decided that, since he's not James Milner, he's shite and a waste of money. When he signed, everyone knew he was of fragile character. Everyone knew he was a confidence player.

So, why was it so surprising that his performances dipped when his manager castigated him to the media? When his manager told him, to his face, that he was not wanted at the club his performances suffered. Why is that a surprise? He refused to request a transfer, because he wants to stay here and earn his place in the team.

He was told 2 weeks ago the club did not want him to go on loan, that there was a clean slate awaiting him when his knee injury cleared up. After hearing that news, he was elated. Overjoyed. Chuffed to f**k.

Finally, he was able to start the ball rolling on moving permanently to the midlands. His missus, who has been waiting nervously for confirmation of where they would be living for the next 3 years, started making plans to move to the midlands. Now, that's all scrapped and they have to move up here to Newcastle until May.

60k a week is all well and good, but when you're being dicked around and lied to no amount of money makes you feel better about it.

However, in spite of all of this, he has told AVFC that he wants to come back to the club in the summer and try to change his manager's mind about him.

Now, tell me PLEASE, what has he done to take the mick out of AVFC??

Great post and fully agree! Unfortunately, we've lost our most creative and technically astute midfielder and didn't even get the chance to see the best of him.

I'd have given anything to see Ireland line up with our current squad in our current mood. I don't even count prior performances as, like someone else said, our entire starting eleven was shite. Ireland would thrive in our team right now.

Wow. Having just read all that, I suddenly feel really really sorry for the guy and I'm starting to feel really bad about some of the things I've said about him to.

I genuinely hope he now rediscovers some of his old Man City form at Newcastle then comes back and does a good job for us.

I'm happy to admit I've been a bit of a hypocrite where Ireland's concerned. I was absolutely bloody elated when we signed him in the summer, come January I couldn't wait to get rid.

I guess I'm just fickle, Shame on me.

Any chance there is a fee agreed for purchase in the loan agreement?

No, he's coming back in Summer and will be given a chance to feature in our first team. In a better squad with Makoun now signed he will be a lot better in my opinion. Remember he was playing with alot of reserves and injured players in the side - compare that to his best season at Man City when he had some class players around him. With everyone fully fit and some new signings he will, IMO, be a great player, and like a new signing.

Finally, he was able to start the ball rolling on moving permanently to the midlands. His missus, who has been waiting nervously for confirmation of where they would be living for the next 3 years, started making plans to move to the midlands. Now, that's all scrapped and they have to move up here to Newcastle until May.

Well, I'm not trying to take a pop at the kid after he's gone elsewhere but hold on. He signed a long contract with us quite a while ago now. If you are truly committed to a team you move. What's this "nervously waiting for confirmation" business? He confirmed when he signed the lengthy, very lucrative contract with us and should have got his and his family's asses down to Little Aston or some such sumptuous place.

Had he done so he might have actually settled in and felt he was part of the place and part of the area.

Very hopeful that by the summer he is full of confidence and playing the football we all know he's capable of. I didn't know half of what Glaston posted above about his time here, and although I've been critical of his work ethic - fairly, imo - if he returns motivated and with the determination to succeed then he would be an excellent addition for next season. If he can get his head straight then his best years are still ahead of him.

Is that because the manager wants to give him a chance to show something? It is the club giving him a great opportunity but still it turns out as a moan from him and 'his missus'

Having said that I can understand anyone being unhappy at having to live in Newcastle with all those Geordie types :)

Goes down for me as the most disappointing signing since Collymore how it's turned out but in way glad it's a loan as it does give us a chance to see if he can do us a job .

However the likelihood is he will settle in Newcastle and get a permanent move there and at least we may be able to recopu the best part of the 8 mill .

Do think there is a player in there without doubt but aint sure he is mentally tough to handle the Managers like GH and Mancini .

Of course there is a human story, but there always is. Part of the sacrifice of being a footballer is never really settling, but that's the nature of short term contracts. I just have little sympathy with someone who plays the game we all love, gets all the pampering and priviledge that goes with it, and pockets a quarter of a million pounds a month.

Stephen Ireland played a little part in the story of our disasterous season. Don't expect many to feel sympathetic just because he "trained when he was asked", that's the minimum you give for your £60k a week? And regarding wiping the slate clean and the subsequent loan, the club cones first, and I would suggest we needed Bradley's steel more than Irelands indifference at present, and that takes priority over indulging him during our fight for survival?

I really hope he finds confidence, returns and is a huge hit, but most people would swap his lot at the drop of a hat.

Of course there is a human story, but there always is. Part of the sacrifice of being a footballer is never really settling, but that's the nature of short term contracts. I just have little sympathy with someone who plays the game we all love, gets all the pampering and priviledge that goes with it, and pockets a quarter of a million pounds a month.

Stephen Ireland played a little part in the story of our disasterous season. Don't expect many to feel sympathetic just because he "trained when he was asked", that's the minimum you give for your £60k a week? And regarding wiping the slate clean and the subsequent loan, the club cones first, and I would suggest we needed Bradley's steel more than Irelands indifference at present, and that takes priority over indulging him during our fight for survival?

I really hope he finds confidence, returns and is a huge hit, but most people would swap his lot at the drop of a hat.

This.

I was really pleased when we signed Ireland - it softened the blow of losing Milner. I think he is a very technically gifted player, unfortunately his attitude is all wrong. There is no chance of me feeling any sympathy for him; I actually thought Gazton's post was a little embarrassing - expecting us to feel sympathy for a lad on 60k because he is being made to fight for his place and handled a little robustly.

I'm glad he's is off our wage bill (which I hope he is). Although I'd love him to sort his head out and come back as the player that we know he's capable of, given what else we know of him, I think there is very little chance of us seeing him pull on a villa shirt again.

I hope Newcastle sign him. They've got money now and he's never, for one moment, looked like he can really fit in here and his on the pitch performances have been **** laughable.

He is a pisser and a piss-take - we are well rid of him for now.

He has turned up for training when asked to, he has trained with the reserves and youth team when asked to.

So, why was it so surprising that his performances dipped when his manager castigated him to the media? When his manager told him, to his face, that he was not wanted at the club his performances suffered.

1) So he should turn up for training and train with who he is told to.

2) You make it sound like he actually played well at some point when he didnt

3) Boo bloody hoo, i'm sure his wife eased her nervousness when she had to continue to concentrate on breathing and blinking.

I was excited when he signed and I do think he is a good player so this Newcastle loan will hopefully be a win win for Villa, whether its a player coming back in good form or in the guise of a transfer fee. But he needs to sort his head out because like I said before the only person who has personal problems is Stephen Ireland with Stephen Ireland.

... he's coming back in Summer and will be given a chance to feature in our first team.

That may be the understanding now, but what if he does really well for the barcodes, the fans love him, they have a great second half to the season and finish above us....Is he going to want to come back?

On the other hand, if he has a crap time up there, can't hold a place in the side, are we going to want him back?

I'd like to see him do well for Villa long term, but I don't feel confident that he will want to come back and be wanted back, or that he will manage to break his way into our midfield next season.

I fear for him at Toon, to be honest. Pardew supposedly isn't much of an arm around the shoulder manager, they've just sold the one decent striker they had that he could provide service for, and they haven't got the technically able players in the middle of the park to get the best out of him (like Man City had in his best spell there: Elano, Robhino etc.)

I suppose that Ireland having seen Joey Barton's "renewal" at Toon thinks it might work for him. If Ireland thought driving down from Cheshire to Bodymoor Heath every other day was a pain, just wait until he has travelled across the pennines and up to toon town a few times in the snow and miserable rain. It'll make the trip to BMH look like a day out at Alton Towers..... wait a minute ......errrr... ummmm

Ive no sympathy for SI at all, he was clearly a problem since day 1. Ok GH was prob not right to lay into him infront of the media, but for him to do that he must have been taking the piss..

If someone paid me 60 odd grand a week to play football Id do anything and everything they asked of me, he obviously did not.

Hope he does a good job for Newcastle and they take him off our hands, regardless of Gazton's sob story about his Mrs wanting to move to the midlands blah blah.. he can move where he wants when he wants for the money he has in the bank. And Im sorry but `no amount of money can make you feel better about being messed about' kind of quote is a load of shit, they have not got a clue about the real world. He seemed pretty happy being messed about at City with all that money or he would have asked to leave.