Stephen Ireland

Richard

Ive no sympathy for SI at all, he was clearly a problem since day 1. Ok GH was prob not right to lay into him infront of the media, but for him to do that he must have been taking the piss..

He must have been taking the piss? Really? You can't see any alternatives?

(It was still the wrong thing to do even if Ireland was taking the piss, to be honest. We'll probably lose a potentially very useful player, of he'd been handled better, for not very much money, and that doesn't benefit Aston Villa any way you want to look at it.)

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive no sympathy for SI at all, he was clearly a problem since day 1. Ok GH was prob not right to lay into him infront of the media, but for him to do that he must have been taking the piss..

(It was still the wrong thing to do even if Ireland was taking the piss, to be honest. We'll probably lose a potentially very useful player, of he'd been handled better, for not very much money, and that doesn't benefit Aston Villa any way you want to look at it.)

Cmon' mate, his performances were awful and looked like he couldn't be bothered and had just turned up to be paid. He had obviously had some form of ding dong with GH for him to be ignored. SI obviously has a bad attitude problem, glad he's gone and dont feel sorry for him one little bit.

Cmon' mate, his performances were awful and looked like he couldn't be bothered and had just turned up to be paid. He had obviously had some form of ding dong with GH for him to be ignored. SI obviously has a bad attitude problem, glad he's gone and dont feel sorry for him one little bit.

I disgree. His performances weren't brilliant, but a lot of players - players who'd been at the club much longer - were poor as well. I thought there was some promise there even if stuff wasn't quite coming off. And he didn't look not bothered to me, he looked like someone whose confidence was shot and there was nobody around trying to rebuild it.

His problem is'nt even with being at Villa. He believed his own press and found the fact that citeh were prepared to ship him out as a makeweight too much to take. We just inherited the problem.

If nufc fans have patience, who knows, he might come good. But I get a feeling it will take a while yet to get his confidence back and the remaining games possibly won't be enough.

I disgree. His performances weren't brilliant, but a lot of players - players who'd been at the club much longer - were poor as well. I thought there was some promise there even if stuff wasn't quite coming off. And he didn't look not bothered to me, he looked like someone whose confidence was shot and there was nobody around trying to rebuild it.

Aww poor Stephen, his confidence was shot. Maybe a quick check at his bank balance would help him out. AVFC is not a baby sitting joint mate. In the real world that I work in, if my confidence is bad then its upto ME to sort it out not my boss.

Your right, a lot of the other players were playing poor aswell. But we dont see what goes on behind the scenes do we? GH does, and clearly wasn't happy with it, we have to trust the guy when he says something wasn't right. Did he not vanish at City as well? Maybe he had these kind of problems there..

Aww poor Stephen, his confidence was shot. Maybe a quick check at his bank balance would help him out. AVFC is not a baby sitting joint mate. In the real world that I work in, if my confidence is bad then its upto ME to sort it out not my boss.

Your right, a lot of the other players were playing poor aswell. But we dont see what goes on behind the scenes do we? GH does, and clearly wasn't happy with it, we have to trust the guy when he says something wasn't right. Did he not vanish at City as well? Maybe he had these kind of problems there..

If you think confidence is related to bank balance then I very very strongly disagree. It's a bit like the arguement that Stan Collymore can't suffer from mental issues because he's loaded. Utterly ridiculous.

If we just have to trust everything GH says then we might as well close down these board really.

Look Ireland hasn't performed due to where we were, niggling injuries and he is a luxury player who does not suit our style due to where we are, his confidence is frail as he's a character who needs to be loved but we spent too long comparing him to Milner. He needs games and we've sent him on loan to do that. Hopefully he comes back in the summer gets into pre-season gets some friendlies and fits into a new style of play.

Look Ireland hasn't performed due to where we were, niggling injuries and he is a luxury player who does not suit our style due to where we are, his confidence is frail as he's a character who needs to be loved but we spent too long comparing him to Milner. He needs games and we've sent him on loan to do that. Hopefully he comes back in the summer gets into pre-season gets some friendlies and fits into a new style of play.

I hope so too. Actually thought he might benefit from playing with Makoun, with that crisp one-touch passing.

Now they have 35Mill perhaps they can give us some of it for him in the summer. Trouble is he has 4 months to show them and everyone else just how crap he is
Or how good he is, i just hope we didn't agree a fee already.

All these bloody loans piss me off as these shit players will get sussed out and value goes down.

As with Stephen "I'm a fruitcake" Ireland, well I hope he never comes back as he is a liability as he needs handling with kid gloves all the dam time!

I think he's mad, too unstable

Kicking in chairs and knocking down tables

In the restaurant at the training ground

Call the police, there's a madman around

Running round in a pink Rolls Royce

Shouting gran's dead again in his Irish voice

If nufc fans have patience, who knows, he might come good. But I get a feeling it will take a while yet to get his confidence back and the remaining games possibly won't be enough

Im sure their fans are worse than ours for patience

He has turned up for training when asked to, he has trained with the reserves and youth team when asked to.

So, why was it so surprising that his performances dipped when his manager castigated him to the media? When his manager told him, to his face, that he was not wanted at the club his performances suffered.

Finally, he was able to start the ball rolling on moving permanently to the midlands. His missus, who has been waiting nervously for confirmation of where they would be living for the next 3 years, started making plans to move to the midlands. Now, that's all scrapped and they have to move up here to Newcastle until May.

1) So he should turn up for training and train with who he is told to.

2) You make it sound like he actually played well at some point when he didnt

3) Boo bloody hoo, i'm sure his wife eased her nervousness when she had to continue to concentrate on breathing and blinking.

I was excited when he signed and I do think he is a good player so this Newcastle loan will hopefully be a win win for Villa, whether its a player coming back in good form or in the guise of a transfer fee. But he needs to sort his head out because like I said before the only person who has personal problems is Stephen Ireland with Stephen Ireland.

My reference to him turning up for training etc was not an attempt to get him sympathy. I was merely trying to pinpoint what exactly he has done to get the reputation for having taken the piss out of the club?

He started 7 games for us, and came on as sub in 5. 3 of those sub appearances were for less than 10 minutes. He has completed 90 mins for us twice, his debut vs Newcastle and the defeat to Liverpool.

Having watched him closely, I accept unreservedly that he has been poor. I don't believe that he was playing in his best position, and I believe that he and his colleagues were on different wavelengths.

He played 85 mins vs Chelsea, in a team performance widely agreed to have been disciplined and efficient. Was he awful that day? I think he was effective. Clearly not at his best, but he must have done something right if he was part of such a good team performance.

However, I think by the time of the Liverpool game there had been an improvement. He no longer had to drop as deep to receive the ball, his passing was crisp and creative and the players around him were making runs which allowed him to show his passing skills.

He was one of our better players vs Liverpool, in a game which was a watershed (IMO) for the relationship between management and playing staff.

My point remains that he has done NOTHING, in my opinion, which can be seen as taking the piss out of the club. People who expect him to tear about the pitch in a Rooneyesque fashion will be waiting a long time for that to happen.

Accusations that he was disinterested or refused to track back are, again in my opinion, very very wrong. I remember one example (vs Arsenal I think) where he sprinted back, beating Ciaran Clark along the way, to attempt to retrieve the ball after Clark lost it. Clark was jogging, Ireland was sprinting. Does that mean Clark was taking the piss?

I think it's a very small-minded view to say that simply because a player is earning 60k a week that he should be, at all times, hugely motivated and happy and always running themselves into the ground for the entire time they're on the pitch. Any person, in any job on any salary, can feel undervalued and demotivated. It's down to management to discuss this with the player, attempt to pinpoint the issues and make an effort to resolve them. A manager who refuses to do that is wasting a potentially valuable resource. Washing your hands of a player without making the effort to understand them, particuarly a player valued at £8m on the balance sheet, is very poor management.

He has been taking the piss since the second he stepped through the door. THE UTTER PISS

The flim flam some people are bandying around as excuses for him are bordering on the pathetic. ALL he needed to do to show his worth was WORK HARD.

And he FAILED.

Gazton, I respect the fact that you're standing up for him but whether you care to admit or not you are continuing to make excuses for him.

You say you agree that he's been shite but then say it's due to him not playing in his favoured position when he actually did play a couple of times in his 'favoured position' and was equally as poor.

You state that he played in the Chelsea game which was a good team performance but then fail to mention that his only two starts coincided with two of our worst three performances all season!

We get it, you have a relationship of sorts with Ireland, you want therefore to see him do well just as any of us would if we knew a player who then signed for the club we all love. Just don't let it blind you to what's actually happened.

Ireland has had chances, as much chance as Bannan, Hogg, Clark etc have all been given, the fact is simply that he hasn't done enough with his opportunities to warrant sympathy.

I don't think he warrants sympathy for his performances, I have accepted repeatedly that he has been poor.

He does not, however, deserve to be castigated and have people say he has been taking "the utter piss".

SI is guilty of not being James Milner, IMO.