Stephen Ireland

Richard

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I mean in general, we just need top 8

Top 8 and he signs? ouch... thats going to be tough, definitely do-able... but tough. Sunderland 6th and 7 points ahead of the closest rival (atleast from what i remember)

With Liverpools hefty investments, I'd expect them and Sunderland to fight over 6th and 7th. Which leaves us needing to overtake Blackpool, Bolton, Blackburn, Everton, NEwcastle.. Yes we are a better team and tbh we cant still get into that top 6 or 7.

Top 8 and he signs? ouch... thats going to be tough, definitely do-able... but tough. Sunderland 6th and 7 points ahead of the closest rival (atleast from what i remember)

With Liverpools hefty investments, I'd expect them and Sunderland to fight over 6th and 7th. Which leaves us needing to overtake Blackpool, Bolton, Blackburn, Everton, NEwcastle.. Yes we are a better team and tbh we cant still get into that top 6 or 7.

I'm not sure the relevance of finishing 8th? If he'd said Europe I would understand (and maybe start planning for his departure), but 8th? Why?

I think it's doable, but if we happen to finish 9th whilst showing the sort of form we have done and he still left, I'd be annoyed.

I'm not sure the relevance of finishing 8th? If he'd said Europe I would understand (and maybe start planning for his departure), but 8th? Why?

I think it's doable, but if we happen to finish 9th whilst showing the sort of form we have done and he still left, I'd be annoyed.

Shows progress and a strong finish, realistically no lower than 7th.

Hi Sellyoak regarding what you posted above,if we hopefully have a strong finish to the season do you feel and/or believe that AY is happy or interested in signing a long term contract with us?? Thanks if you have any info :winkold:

Shows progress and a strong finish, realistically no lower than 7th.

Ok. There may only be 3 points between us and 7th, but there happens to be 6 teams as well. We can't control their form, unless we play them, so we could do that (show progress and finish strong) and still finish 9th.

I'm not doubting your knowledge, just seems an odd stance.

Can I just add the words of top 8 haven't come from his mouth, I'm just saying the club are aware we will need to finish top 8 or realistically no lower than 7th to keep him... this also hinges on how quick we make moves in Summer and who we buy.

anyway this is Stephen Ireland thread... sorry for taking it off topic

Can I just add the words of top 8 haven't come from his mouth, I'm just saying the club are aware we will need to finish top 8 or realistically no lower than 7th to keep him... this also hinges on how quick we make moves in Summer and who we buy.

One step at a time.

It's relevant to Ireland I'd say. Because if what you're suggesting is correct, there's still a good chance Young won't be here come August.

Regardless, I hope Ireland does well. If he doesn't we're stuck with a player worth very little and still unhappy. If he does well, whether we want him or not he has value again either financialy or on the pitch.

Trying to think of a situation where this works for us.

Possible scenarios

1. Ireland plays well. Toon want to keep him but he comes back and we have a rejuvenated player

2. Ireland plays well. Toon or someone else signs him for 8m and we break even

3. Ireland plays badly. No one wants him, we get an even more frustrated player back.

4. Ireland plays ok, we dont want him back, we get rubbish offers for him and make a loss.

Obviously 1 or 2 is preferable, (2 is my option, I do like him) but then he could help them finish above us!

Loaning to a club in the same league unless you are a top 4 side and the team you are loaning too is clearly not, is very odd!

As much as a loss as Osbourne. So huge.

Lmao

Gotta say this guy has taken the mick out of us as a club

He wasn't wanted where he was but didn't have the bottle to say no to being a make weight in another deal so we end up holding the baby, literally.

I respect him even less than Unsworth

Lmao

He wasn't wanted where he was but didn't have the bottle to say no to being a make weight in another deal so we end up holding the baby, literally.

I'm astounded by this.. What has he done that's "taken the mick out of us as a club"?

He hasn't once badmouthed the club, the manager or his colleagues in the press. He has turned up for training when asked to, he has trained with the reserves and youth team when asked to.

He signed for a club in crisis, with a caretaker manager and was nothing but complimentary about the club when he signed. He WANTED to come here. It was a culture shock to him, leaving the club he had been at since the age of 15 but he WANTED to sign for us. He refused to sign for Sunderland and Everton and signed for Villa.

The only thing that he is guilty of is poor performance in the few games he has played for us. There are mitigating factors but people on here have decided that, since he's not James Milner, he's shite and a waste of money. When he signed, everyone knew he was of fragile character. Everyone knew he was a confidence player.

So, why was it so surprising that his performances dipped when his manager castigated him to the media? When his manager told him, to his face, that he was not wanted at the club his performances suffered. Why is that a surprise? He refused to request a transfer, because he wants to stay here and earn his place in the team.

He was told 2 weeks ago the club did not want him to go on loan, that there was a clean slate awaiting him when his knee injury cleared up. After hearing that news, he was elated. Overjoyed. Chuffed to f**k.

Finally, he was able to start the ball rolling on moving permanently to the midlands. His missus, who has been waiting nervously for confirmation of where they would be living for the next 3 years, started making plans to move to the midlands. Now, that's all scrapped and they have to move up here to Newcastle until May.

60k a week is all well and good, but when you're being dicked around and lied to no amount of money makes you feel better about it.

However, in spite of all of this, he has told AVFC that he wants to come back to the club in the summer and try to change his manager's mind about him.

Now, tell me PLEASE, what has he done to take the mick out of AVFC??

Lmao

I'm astounded by this.. What has he done that's "taken the mick out of us as a club"?

He hasn't once badmouthed the club, the manager or his colleagues in the press. He has turned up for training when asked to, he has trained with the reserves and youth team when asked to.

He signed for a club in crisis, with a caretaker manager and was nothing but complimentary about the club when he signed. He WANTED to come here. It was a culture shock to him, leaving the club he had been at since the age of 15 but he WANTED to sign for us. He refused to sign for Sunderland and Everton and signed for Villa.

The only thing that he is guilty of is poor performance in the few games he has played for us. There are mitigating factors but people on here have decided that, since he's not James Milner, he's shite and a waste of money. When he signed, everyone knew he was of fragile character. Everyone knew he was a confidence player.

So, why was it so surprising that his performances dipped when his manager castigated him to the media? When his manager told him, to his face, that he was not wanted at the club his performances suffered. Why is that a surprise? He refused to request a transfer, because he wants to stay here and earn his place in the team.

He was told 2 weeks ago the club did not want him to go on loan, that there was a clean slate awaiting him when his knee injury cleared up. After hearing that news, he was elated. Overjoyed. Chuffed to f**k.

Finally, he was able to start the ball rolling on moving permanently to the midlands. His missus, who has been waiting nervously for confirmation of where they would be living for the next 3 years, started making plans to move to the midlands. Now, that's all scrapped and they have to move up here to Newcastle until May.

60k a week is all well and good, but when you're being dicked around and lied to no amount of money makes you feel better about it.

However, in spite of all of this, he has told AVFC that he wants to come back to the club in the summer and try to change his manager's mind about him.

Now, tell me PLEASE, what has he done to take the mick out of AVFC??

Shock you're sticking up for him...he has blatantly taken the mick out of us. Everybody has a bad game every now and again, fans understand and accept that but Ireland is guilty of putting no effort in what so ever in games that he has played in...he looked about as interested in playing for us as I am interested in the royal wedding...60k a week and no effort in return is a complete piss take!