Stephen Ireland

Richard

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm bored of all the negative crap about Ireland he is one of the few players we have with a bit of quality and has done nothing wrong this season, he needs to get a run in the team to prove his doubters wrong but McCleish is afraid of being to creative so it may never happen.

if you read the boards you'd be hard pressed to find a Villa player anyone does actually like, so many used to brand Gabby 'not good enough' now he's our best player.

I love this club, but there are two many fans who are totally delusional with unrealistic expectations, not saying its not realistic for us to do better than we are now and have a better manager than McCleish. But we no longer have the squad or the budget to be anymore than a team that finishes 10th or lower. Gary Gardener and other youth players aren't going to change that either and we are not in transition we are just doomed to be average for many years to come unless Randy sells us.

it was only a few years ago we had a certain youth in midfield playing regularly who we all knew liked the white powder

I hardly think Peter Whittingham's fondness for Sherbert Dip-Dabs is comparable to this.

I honestly cannot believe there are still people who think Ireland is going to come good - are you blind or something !.

18 months of taking the pee out of the Villa.

Before that - 18 months of warming the bench of Man City reserves !!!.

The kid had one good season and that was 4 years ago - the guy has an attitude problem big style. The guy has NO guts. Arsenal was the perfect example.

"Sorry boss, I'm feeling a bit wheezy, I can't run anymore !" - my arse !!!!. Christ almighty, we had a goalie breaking into tears every five minutes a few weeks ago because his best mate had died - and he carried on - but Ireland - "sorry, I've stubbed my toe - I can't walk anymore".

Just get him out of the club pronto !!!!

I presume the same people still think Stefan Moore is going to come good as well !!!

Agree with the above.. I think people are clinging on to something that isn't there with Stephen Ireland.

I keep hearing he has the "quality" but when have we ever seen it? Man City fans will tell you that he had one decent season at the club and is living off that.

I don't think he will ever be good enough.

it was only a few years ago we had a certain youth in midfield playing regularly who we all knew liked the white powder

I hardly think Peter Whittingham's fondness for Sherbert Dip-Dabs is comparable to this.

Gary Gardener is partial to a cola cube so that is likely the reason he's not in the team presently. That and the fact sir gary cahill doesn't rate him.

To be fair looking back over this thread it seems to be the same three or four people constantly having a go at him, these are the same people that have a go off him in the match day threads before any of the few games he's started aswell and probably hope he has a bad game just to be vindicated.

The crux of the matter this year is by all accounts Ireland is an excellent trainer, hard working and reliable, has played above average in any game he's played in and gets praised by management and then completely dropped inexplicably even though he has been on the bench and available for numerous games not to be called upon.

Holtelower above has completely forgotten that ireland hadn't played even as a sub for many games before being dropped in at the deep end at arsenal, anyone whose played at a decent level knows no matter how hard you try it is very hard to mimic match intensity in training. Ireland pushed himself hard, closed down well and played at a high tempo for 40 mins, add to this he had a virus the week before. He pulled up with muscle tightness, a common problem for players returning to match fitness. I couldn't fault him for that.

He is contracted to villa for the next 2 years, he should be given an opportunity to stake a claim for a place in the team and supported by the fans.

hard working and reliable

Really? you honestly think this?

has played above average in any game he's played

Sorry but I totally disagree.. he has played below average if anything.

gets praised by management

Maybe it has something to do with the fact he is probably one of the higher earners and they want more from him so feel praising him might work.

Heskey gets praised by a fair few too.

I don't personally think it matters what Ireland does he is never ever going to be McLeish's type of midfield player, largely because he isn't a defender.

Given the way the club are conducting themselves of late I'm sure from McLeish upwards their is a concerted effort to move Ireland on and save on those wages. I doubt we will see much of him over the second half of the season so frankly it doesn't matter what he smokes.

In fairness to Ireland i cant really remember any stinkers he has played. maybe the Anfield debacle last season but was a woeful midfield that night think was him, Clark and Hogg

Well I cant remember even a half decent performance, he's either been meh or anonymous. He is nothing special and pound for pound the worst signing the club has ever made.

He will never come good, I hope we can off load, but no one will want him anywhere near half his current wage, we are stuck with him.

I don't personally think it matters what Ireland does he is never ever going to be McLeish's type of midfield player, largely because he isn't a defender.

Given the way the club are conducting themselves of late I'm sure from McLeish upwards their is a concerted effort to move Ireland on and save on those wages. I doubt we will see much of him over the second half of the season so frankly it doesn't matter what he smokes.

Agreed.

I never expected Ireland to be a regular in a McLeish side.

Well I cant remember even a half decent performance, he's either been meh or anonymous. He is nothing special and pound for pound the worst signing the club has ever made.

players need momentum. cant ever really remember him stringing 2 or 3 games together either through injury or because of manager

Firstly, a player shouldn't always need momentum, obviously a run of games help but there are plenty of players at this club who don't play, come in and do a very good job. Or at least have an impact. If he had the quality, it would have shown by now.

Whether from the bench or starting, he's just never done it.

There is a reason he doesn't get a run of games, he's not good enough. Especially mentally.