Stephen Ireland

Richard

and against Derby alongside a bunch of kids/reserves.
Not having a go at you Mark as we mostly agree on everything (politics aside ;-) ) but it gets me when this is said. That team of mostly kids and reserves is basically our first team squad for this season. People need to realise that

Ones things for sure given the size/quality in our squad an on form Stephen Ireland is certainly something we need.
Absolutely it is and as I have said for me that is the equation Mcleish is weighing up. Get 2M for him now that he weill not reinvest, or keep the player and try and get him to perform for us. As hard as the second bit will be he has to try it. Needs must.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not having a go at you Mark as we mostly agree on everything (politics aside ;-) ) but it gets me when this is said. That team of mostly kids and reserves is basically our first team squad for this season. People need to realise that

Totally see where your coming from Richard and I do realise that they do make up a fair chunk of our first team squad. It doesn't change the fact that they are a bunch of kids/ what were/should be considered reserves and if at some stage we have to play a few of them at the same time in a Premeirship fixture then, like against Derby, I believe we will struggle and be found wanting.

Ones things for sure given the size/quality in our squad an on form Stephen Ireland is certainly something we need.
Absolutely it is and as I have said for me that is the equation Mcleish is weighing up. Get 2M for him now that he weill not reinvest, or keep the player and try and get him to perform for us. As hard as the second bit will be he has to try it. Needs must.

Yeah, minus the entire defence and goalkeeper, our major summer signing and our central midfield.

Other than that though it's our starting 11.

wake up.

worked hard when came on, 3 or 4 good tackles/interceptions and some nice passing, movement off the ball was great. Should of got a little longer given gabby and bents input in the second half. Not enough to start next week though

Seeing Ireland play for the last 20 mins or so against FV Braga, he definitely wasnt anonymous. There was nothing wow about his performance but he certainly got stuck in. Was nice to see him track back and get stuck in with the defense. had sum good touches here and there. Hopefully he finally his mind in the right place. He probably will go missing in some games but think he will be important player so long as we feed him the balls that we need.

side note, emile of the heskey didnt play too bad on the wings, who would've thought that!

He looked good tonight because there was a clever technical player alongside him (Bannan) with some people behind him prepared to give him the ball (Makoun). It would have been good to see Bent as the striker and N'Gog on the wing because they are all clever footballing players.

Remember how good he was when he had Robhino alongside ? I know Bannan isn't Robhino but I am referring to technical footballing brains.

------------------Bent

--------N'Zog-----Ireland------Bannan

--------------Makoun-----Petrov

---Back 4 + Keeper

That would be my lineup to get the benefit of having creative technical players who can pass and move. It is narrow but if things dont work so well, Gabby, Heskey, Delph and Albrighton off the bench and have the creative elements of Gardner to come to.

Its not all doom and gloom.

Ireland is more than capable of pulling strings in midfield. He needs solid people behind him to hold the fort though, and I'm not sure we have that at the moment.

---------- DM ------ DM -------

Albrighton - Ireland - N'Zogbia

----------------Bent----------

Would be a great formation. But I can't see anyone in our squad occupying those 2 'DM' positions in any reassuring way.

I think Makoun could fill one CM slot as we still need someone to get that ball out of our half and start our attacks, however we do ideally need a defensive minded (agile) player, which we haven't got.

We and the management just need patience with him, he needs to be treated as just another player and get fully integrated in to the squad instead of being looked upon to do something special each and every time he touches the ball.

If that happens then in time we might start to see the talent he has.

What most of the fans don't realise is in his good season at city he wasn't playing just off the front man, he actually played right of a 3 man narrow midfield with a license to go up and down which he excelled at as his fitness was excellent. Contrary to belief his tracking ability is actually ok and although he doesn't smash into tackles like delph etc he has a decent ability to nick/intercept possession as he reads the game quite well.

Any player will struggle to play off the front man in our squad for two reasons

1. Bent doesn't take the ball to feet, he plays off the shoulder of the last man making it hard for the player in the no 10 role to link with him

2. The gap between the midfield and man supporting bent is to large and the ball doesn't come to him fast enough as gabby found out yesterday.

Anyone who watched the game yesterday could see Ireland was playin on the left of a 3 and not directly off front man and both aspects of his game benefited from this. An added problem he has is his head drops when he hasn't strong a couple of passes together and his mind goes wondering so it is important to have his closer to the action early on, and maybe push him on later on as his confidence grows.

Playing in "the hole" can be very deceiving to fans because from experience you usually spend half if not more the game closing down defenders in a game of 4 v 2 possession, most defenders worth there salt won't be dispossesed in this situation, plus our defenders have a habit of bypassing midfield and banging it long. hence it's a fruitless position.

All said I don't think this is the right position for him or any player in our squad but have no doubt about the players ability