Stephen Ireland

Richard

Firstly i wasnt expecting anything big from him or any of the players last night baring in mind they had been cooped up on a plane for hours 2 days previous and the substantial time difference no one was going to be to sharp. for me purely this was a fitness exercise.

Secondly anyone who has played football at a high level will be aware following a long term injury it can take time to get your game back, ireland has played competively for almost 2 years realistically so i wouldnt be to worried by his performance to date. Also he was injured prior to saturdays game so cant expect to be 100% fit for this game.

Irelands ability is unrivalled by most players in the league not to mind the club, i reckon there will be alot of ppl eating some humble pie once he gets his season going. Its ridiculous the writing off of villa players that goes on on this site before the season even starts.

Have some faith.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I repeat at Walsall in a three man defence with Petrov, Makoun & himself in normal conditions... Ireland looked very good and fed Bent some

brilliant balls for the 40mins he was on the pitch.

Albrighton has looked absolutely gash pre-season far worse than Ireland. Bet he'll still be fab for us this season at some point.

I really hope AM doesn't lay into Stephen Ireland - GH tried that and it just caused ructions. I'm sure McLeish will encourage him

and hopefully get him playing well. He is a very talented player but he needs his self esteem boosting not booting methinks.

Agreed and once he has 2 natural wide players in nzogbia and Marc outside him who he can put the ball in behind the full backs for (really excels at this) which will give him the opportunity to bomb on and support bent his confidence will rocket and performances will improve. I'm sure amc is also aware that makoun delph and Ireland never played together before if I'm not wrong

See SAF as a great example of how to manage footballers - with an iron fist.

Not quite true, AF is a great example of a man with an iron first but will pander to the footballer that needs it. You never see him ranting at rooney, he would never rant at Ronaldo as thats not the way to get the best out of them.

Its ridiculous the writing off of villa players that goes on on this site before the season even starts.

I want Ireland to come good as anybody does, but this comment is ludicrous.

Didnt we give him a chance last season??

I also have an issue with this...

Irelands ability is unrivalled by most players in the league not to mind the club

What a joke.

I think you will find we did, but he was so non existent that Ged just had no confidence in playing him again.

Also went to Newcastle and spent most of his time out on the piss.

I hope he comes good - just feels like clutching at straws though.

Ireland has had opportunities to at least make an effort on the pitch - and when you see him jogging around looking completely disinterested in playing for us, you think; why should we **** bother?

I have no time for him and his stupid childish attitude - I don't ever want to see him in a villa shirt again and hope that we **** him off sooner rather than later.

I disagree. After a couple of matches the knives were out, and he never stood much of a chance, never got a chance for a good run of games in his best position to settle himself at the club.

Even given that it's possible he might not have succeeded. But he wasn't given it.

I also disagree about the jogging around thing. He has a languid kind of style, he's never going to track back and win a sliding tackle in his own box, and I'm pretty sure he didn't charge around like a lunatic when playing his best football for Man City. He's there to be creative. Ideally he'd be able to tackle like Bobby Moore too, but I'd rather concentrate on getting him doing things right in the last third for now.

This is problem people have they cant seem to forget the past. Dont think it matters how well Stephen Ireland might play if he does one bad pass theres always going to be a few people in the stand shouting f**k off u useless blah blah. Same with Heskey, against Walsall i thought he played well he did one bad pass and the bloke behind shouting f**k off u useless donkey. Albrighton who hasnt had a good pre season game will not get ne abuse because well i dont know why!!?!?! I dont think his beat one full back all pre season and people dont have a go at him. Some Villa fans once they dislike someone regardless of what the player/manager does it will never be good enough. Same goes for Mcleish i dont think he'll have a chance. As soon as Derby scored on wednesday fans behind me were shouting f**k off u useless blue nose word removed.

If you are given a chance in a Premiership team then you need to take it, Ireland had chances, Newcastle, Sunderland, Chelsea, Burnley, Bolton, Liverpool, Blackburn, Vienna he didn't take any, he didn't even have a couple good games in there. Chelsea was about as good as it got and even then, take away the first 5 minutes and he was barely involved.

What about Angel? Had we of got shot of him after his dreadful 02-03 season we would have missed out on his 20 goal 03-04 year.

If after a couple of months he is still poor then slag him off but new manager and a clean slate. Lets see what happens.

All he needs is a goal in front of the holte, bit of a crowd cuddle and he'll be back.

I just think he needs to feel a bit of love from us. I know his not the sharpest tool in the shed but I'd say he's got a fair idea that most fans are against him.

His here now, lets back him and if his still done feck all by xmas then by all means lynch him.

One stephen Ireland!!

I think you will find we did, but he was so non existent that Ged just had no confidence in playing him again.

Also went to Newcastle and spent most of his time out on the piss.

I hope he comes good - just feels like clutching at straws though.

I think after Fulham, we will be looking at other straws to clutch, whilst on here, we will all be going around in the same circle we did last season, on numerous occasions!

We need Ireland to come good in not ten games time, but from the off. I just dont see it happening, and i just dont think we have the middle pairing that can feed him the ball, to give him a chance to do that.

In all fairness during the period Ireland was playing for us last season, certainly under Houllier, 90% of the players were under performing/the manager was failing to get anything like the best out of them, so he was not alone in that. He was however made a scape goat most notably by the manager.

He now has a chance to come good so lets hope he can take it.

In all fairness during the period Ireland was playing for us last season, certainly under Houllier, 90% of the players were under performing/the manager was failing to get anything like the best out of them, so he was not alone in that. He was however made a scape goat most notably by the manager.

He now has a chance to come good so lets hope he can take it.

I hope you're right, but as I said his performances in pre season friendlies don't fill me with too much confidence.

I hope you're right, but as I said his performances in pre season friendlies don't fill me with too much confidence.

Whats he played? 30 mins against Walsall before going off injured, 45 mins against Chelsea when to a man we were absloute garbage, and against Derby alongside a bunch of kids/reserves.

I'm not sure if he will or won't come good this season but lets give the lad a fair crack of the whip and a number of games before totally writing him off. He has shown in the past he can perform extremely well in the Premirship so we know there is a very good player in there. Its just getting the best out of him that has become the issue so lets hope Eck can.

Ones things for sure given the size/quality in our squad an on form Stephen Ireland is certainly something we need.