Stephen Ireland

Richard

^ Cheers Rob ^

How in the land of **** did he miss that!?!?

That's just a damn good save in my opinion, it wasn't the easiest chance as he had to wait for it to come down, he hit it hard and true and on target but the keeper flung himself out and narrowed the angle well. I don't think that was a bad miss, he did most things right, just a good save.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Cheers Rob ^

That's just a damn good save in my opinion, it wasn't the easiest chance as he had to wait for it to come down, he hit it hard and true and on target but the keeper flung himself out and narrowed the angle well. I don't think that was a bad miss, he did most things right, just a good save.

I think it was more luck than judgement on the keepers behalf. Either way you would expect someone of his quality to do better, and i would guess if he had the same chance another 10 times, 9 attempts would end in a goal.

Im still confidant he will come good and end up playing an important role in our season.

Matbe AM is just teasing him to get him 'chomping at the bit'?

^ Cheers Rob ^

I think it was more luck than judgement on the keepers behalf. Either way you would expect someone of his quality to do better, and i would guess if he had the same chance another 10 times, 9 attempts would end in a goal.

Im still confidant he will come good and end up playing an important role in our season.

Matbe AM is just teasing him to get him 'chomping at the bit'?

Yeah he got a bit of luck and I think if Ireland hit the same shot as he did he would score 9 out of 10. It was a bit like he hit it too well, if he'd scuffed it slightly it would have gone in. Think he needs a bit of luck himself to lift his confidence then hopefully he will become a big player for us.

Considering the number of games he has actually played 1. in general over the past 2 years 2. at villa 3. with the players around him he was looking sharp last night, some good little runs and balls through and could have easily scored in the first half.

A lack of confidence is holding him back slightly but that can be said for Albrighton, Makoun and to some extent Delfouneso

I just wanna see what the guy can do given a run of games, then if he isn't good enough people can be justified in writing him off. I don't believe he should be written off just yet from what I have seen of him. He needs games, confidence and the fans behind him in my opinion.

That was their sub keeper. I get the impression he'll be starting from here on.

I think you may be right BOF!

Someone said he is on loan to the Bulls from Swansea. Interesting cos they also have Vorm who I've been really impressed with as a GK.

Dont know what certain fans want from him. His performances are never good enough for some fans. Bannan probaley gave the ball away more times than ireland but he doesnt get any stick.

I'm not sure on that one to be honest, they were both like Makoun quite careless in possession last night at times.

As for the comparison to Bannan, well if you want me to be critical of him I think he tries to do too much at times, he tries the killer ball too often which is why he gives it away. I can live with that though especially in a players so young.

I think expectations are rightly totally different for Bannan to Ireland which is why their performances last night are viewed differently. Bannan is a young player making his way in the game, Ireland is an established PL player, a player who cost us circa £8m and a player who we've seen is capable of some pretty good football.

So far we've not seen it, we've seen nothing of the form he showed for Man City a couple of years ago. So a performance like his last night, though an improvement on what he has done previously still falls a little short of expectations especially given the opposition.

With Bannan on the other hand their aren't really the same expectations and as such is viewed differently.

I still think he will come good for the villa but i dont think he'll ever win some fans over. His in with the petrovs and heskeys of this world. No matter what he does it will never be good enough to certain fans!

I don't agree. The cases of those two are different, they have both performed to the best of their abilities for the majority of their time at the club, the issue with these two is some people simply don't rate them as players which is fair enough.

Those who don't rate them are never going to change their minds because these players have peaked, they are both in fact past their peaks and so aren't going to improve their performances greatly if at all.

Ireland on the other hand hasn't even got close to his best football for us so I think there is every chance if he can find some decent form the vast majority of fans would change their view of him.

I Agree with Trent's comments

That was their sub keeper. I get the impression he'll be starting from here on.

He's Swansea's 'keeper apparently - is there on emergency loan. Thank God it didn't go to penalties....

(Although we did have Guzan who's no slouch in CC shootouts)

Mat Kendrick's tweet last night about Stephen Ireland summed his performance up.

MatKendrick

Ireland showed flashes of brilliance, still a bit rusty though, should have scored from a couple of chances #avfc #hufc

Would love it if Ireland came good.. if he plays like he did during that season at Citeh then we have a star on our hands.

But we've been here before with numerous players, Curcic, Collymore, Milosevic even Angel to an extent, players who were better on paper than they were on the pitch

I just dont think he'll ever be first choice at any point this season so I cant see him getting a good run of games. Barring an injury to Delph.

Delph will get injured, more likely suspended :lol:

Im sure Ireland will get a chance at some stage.

We'll have injuries/suspensions throughout the season so he'll get a league start. **** me even Pires got a few starts last season. When he does get a chance its then up to him. He did well against Hereford and it was a toss up between him and Bannan who was the man of the match. Granted it was only Hereford but unlike say Makoun he at least shone.

Didn't look great from what I saw of the highlights (2 mins on SkySports), missed two sitter and didn't seem bothered when we scored.

Still hope he comes good, especially when you consider what Villa are paying him.

Didn't look great from what I saw of the highlights (2 mins on SkySports), missed two sitter and didn't seem bothered when we scored.

Still hope he comes good, especially when you consider what Villa are paying him.

:lol:

Take a look at the rating and reactions thread, the folks who attended the game seem to think different in most part.