Stephen Ireland

Richard

I thought Ireland was playing well first half and playing some good passes. I thought it went wrong in the second half especially when bannan started trying to play his hollywood 50 yard passes like he normally does. i don't rate bannan at all, somebody needs to tell him he is not David Beckham!

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Ireland was playing well first half and playing some good passes. I thought it went wrong in the second half especially when bannan started trying to play his hollywood 50 yard passes like he normally does. i don't rate bannan at all, somebody needs to tell him he is not David Beckham!

Undoubtedly he's got an eye for a pass but he needs to learn that sometimes a 5 yard pass can be as effective as the 50 yard Hollywood pass.

I think Ireland played well first half and we missed him a lot in the second.

Bannan seems to have gone backwards since the drink drive thing and is having an Albrighton kind of season. I still have hope that both can come back stronger, but I wouldn't put my house on it.

Ireland missing was the difference in the 2nd half.

He was an outlet in the first half that would control the ball, keep possession and pass on the deck - even if it was just a short one. There was one piece of play in the first half where 4 short crisp passes between Ireland, Keane and Bent carved them open. More of that please!

Bannan, however, was guilty of lumping it forward which was hugely disappointing. The lad has such good control and can beat a man in close quarters but keeps opting for the hollywood "half the field" pass.

McLeish confirmed he was injured and wouldn't take Ireland off for swearing at him because he isn't petty.

But everyone might not choose to believe him. He might want to say that in order to keep what he sees as an internal disciplinary matter in-house, for example. And he might want to quash a story before it turned into some much bigger player revolt thing (as was starting to happen).

Bannan, however, was guilty of lumping it forward which was hugely disappointing. The lad has such good control and can beat a man in close quarters but keeps opting for the hollywood "half the field" pass.

very true but at least hes trying to go forwsrd

What apparently happened

Aston Villa boss Alex McLeish has played down reports of a touchline row with Stephen Ireland, insisting he substituted the midfielder at Newcastle because he was injured.

Ireland was taken off at half-time by McLeish at St James' Park on Sunday as Villa crashed to a 2-1 Premier League defeat.

The Irishman appeared to rant angrily at the manager after being blamed for Newcastle's opener.

McLeish felt Ireland should have prevented Danny Guthrie from crossing for Demba Ba to score in the 30th minute.

But the Scottish boss insists the midfielder was substituted because he had picked up an ankle knock.

Injury

He said: "I know he spoke back but, at the same time, players don't like to hear the manager screaming at them from the touchline.

"But I kick every ball. I'm passionate and I care. I wouldn't be so petty to take a player off for something like that if he is doing a fantastic job.

"When Guthrie side-stepped him to put the cross in, I thought Stevie should have been making that tackle or at least put a block on the cross.

"But it was clear at half-time that he didn't have the capacity to get close to people. He had an ankle problem."

He does that all the time. He seems to think he can catch the eye by trying to hit 50+ yard passes and then fails 99% of the time. I thought he was awful yesterday.

Telling the manager to **** off is not the smartest idea but I can see why he must be frustrated.

Our entire back 4 has been out of position and consistently shit for months yet Ireland gets a bollocking for not defending. He probably should have tried a bit harder, but is AMC also bollocking Dunne, Collins, Cuellar, Hutton & Warnock for defending like retarded women? Ireland is the scapegoat, but things are not helped by his history I'm sure.

Yes Ireland has the responsibility to track back and he did, he tried to stop the cross but he's not a true defender it was Hutton's job and he was no where to be found. Did Hutton get shouted at? No, yet Ireland did for actually trying to do something.

Im not Irelands biggest fan but no way was he at fault for their first goal yesterday.

We had 3 defenders in and around the 6 yard box when it was falling to Demba Ba. The fact that they are just so slow and cumbersome to react cant be Irelands fault can it??

Agreed it is unrealistic to expect that we wont have any crosses into the box during a game. It was how we dealt with the cross that was the issue.

Don't know why AM went so mental over it. Can only think he is really feeling the frustration of having a crap set of defenders but not being able to drop them because he has no adequate cover.

That said Ireland has been stupid to react in the way he did and done himself and us no favours.

Black mark against AM and SI for me