Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

At this stage of his career if he isn't even good enough to be considered at least a valuable squad member in this team of ours and is being palmed off to free up wages for another the writing is very much on the wall for him. I don't see how taking a step back now is in any way positive for him.

I can't fathom how you can't see it? at 22 he has time on his side. His injury really affected him, he needs time to regain his touch and confidence. The premier league isn't the place to do that. A few months out the lmelight and out of a side desperate for points is what he needs.

If we free up wages to get someone in who will battle to keep us up in the short term then it's a no brainer.

I still think he was rushed back by houllier, partly due to the fact we had no one else.

Good move for him.

At this stage of his career if he isn't even good enough to be considered at least a valuable squad member in this team of ours and is being palmed off to free up wages for another the writing is very much on the wall for him. I don't see how taking a step back now is in any way positive for him.

I can't fathom how you can't see it? at 22 he has time on his side. His injury really affected him, he needs time to regain his touch and confidence. The premier league isn't the place to do that. A few months out the lmelight and out of a side desperate for points is what he needs.

If we free up wages to get someone in who will battle to keep us up in the short term then it's a no brainer.

I still think he was rushed back by houllier, partly due to the fact we had no one else.

Good move for him.

He's played 40 odd games at that level, what he needs another 10 and he'll be ready? His injury wont have robbed him of what he learnt in those 40 or so games. He got fit and up to speed in the reserves. He now needs to gain experience in the Premier league IMO.

Hopefully Grayson will give him games in his proper position/role as a box to box/playmaking CM'er unlike the clearing in the woods that we currently have managing us who wanted to convert him to a DCM because he couldn't balance his squad properly in the summer.

I really feel for Delph and I can see why he would want to get away from Villa and, more significantly, McLeish.

Oh well League 1 then, point still stands, he has enough lower league experience and should stay here IMO.

The problem is, he isn't exactly making moves towards becoming a first team regular this season and has slipped down the pecking order. This is normally (at the Villa) because of one of two things:

1. His confidence/form is shot.

Symptom: If this is the case he is not going to get near the first team until it improves. Playing regularly is the only way he will recover confidence/form, and there is no point sacrificing another player who is performing regularly in the current team - that is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Solution: A loan deal would be a good opportunity to get out there, play games in his preferred position and prove to McShitbag that he has what it takes to make it in the Premier League. Leeds would be the ideal destination as they will be fighting fiercely for promotion, and lackadaisical performances will not be tolerated.

Result:

i. If he plays regularly and comes up with the goods, we get a good player back who has beaten his issues.

ii. If he plays regularly but doesn't look like he is going to cut it at the level we require, he has had a chance to demonstrate to lesser teams what he can do and his resale value is increased.

iii. If he is shit, he is shit. It concludes he isn't worth dropping another player just to accommodate in our team.

2. The manager has fallen out with him / doesn't rate him.

Symptom: We will never know unless it is publicised. I doubt this is the case, Delph has never come across as a Billy Bigspuds in his time here. We don't get to see the training sessions though, and in the same breath McShitbag and the players have been saying for ages that Ireland is the 'best in training', Delph might not actually be that good; whether it be skill or effort we would never know.

Solution: If he has to play, he is not going to play first team football under these circumstances. He will be stuck in the reserves. This will do nothing for his confidence. This is usually referred to as the 'rot in the reserves' plan.

Result: A player shot of confidence and form who no other team has seen play for months/years. The resale value of a player like this is nominal/negligible (see Peter Whittingham, who was sold for a huge £350k yet is playing some very interesting football for Cardiff).

I can't see an argument against sending him out on loan. He is 22, he has 10 years ahead of him.

Manure seem to send their players out on loan until they are 22-23 before they even get a look in; why do Villa fans write players off if they have not become a first team regular by the time they are 21?

Also, IIRC, Delph's fee was £6m, rising to £8m with targets hit, like England caps and goals scored. Like the Crouch deal...

Would expect any loan fee to be mitigated by Leeds cancelling any outstanding add-ons.

True. But I guess at least getting some/all of his £20k/week wages off the books may go some way to allowing us to loan someone in for the remainder of the season.

Would also be interesting to know if we got anything from the Cahill transfer to put towards any deal.

No doubt this was all splurged on signing Keane.

Hopefully Grayson will give him games in his proper position/role as a box to box/playmaking CM'er unlike the clearing in the woods that we currently have managing us who wanted to convert him to a DCM because he couldn't balance his squad properly in the summer.

I really feel for Delph and I can see why he would want to get away from Villa and, more significantly, McLeish.

Delph has been shite from day one at the Villa. You can't blame McLeish for this one.

what trash....... the manager who spunked £6m quid on him played him there as well, and not very often either........ just another stick to beat mcleish with !!

Blaming Mcleish here is just wrong. Pointless bashing of him.

Delph has been shite from day one at the Villa. You can't blame McLeish for this one.

No he hasn't. He has looked quality in a few games where we have set the team up properly to allow him to play the role that he plays best. He looked awesome at home to Man U in his first season with Petrov behind him and Milner linking to the striker.

what trash....... the manager who spunked £6m quid on him played him there as well, and not very often either........ just another stick to beat mcleish with !!

I didn't think O'Neill used him properly for the most part as he typically would play him in front of Stan as DCM and, as a pair, they are not dynamic enough BUT he never played him as the DCM from what I remember.

He is a box to boxer/playmaker that needs a strong DCM alongside and a link to the striker. I could also see him playing wide left as a left midfielder rather than a winger. I think there is a lot of similarities with him and Bannan (and, for that matter, Makoun) in terms of job they can do for the team.

Â