Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fabian-delph-called-manchester-city-6048418

Fabian Delph sensationally called off his move to Manchester City after deciding he couldn’t break his promise to stay at Aston Villa.

The 25-year-old England midfielder scrapped his £8million move after a sleepless night reading angry reactions from fans of the Midlands club.

He had been due to take a medical at the Etihad Stadium Saturday morning, but instead stayed home and rang boss Tim Sherwood at the team’s pre-season camp in Portugal to say he had called the deal off.

A source said: “Fabian was in two minds about the move and rang a couple of the players in Portugal on Friday night to talk about his fears over whether it was right for him.

“He was shocked at how some fans had turned on him when it emerged he might be leaving so soon after signing a new contract and talking about his loyalty to the club."

"Twitter trolls" made him change his mind apparently. Nobody in the media seems to know what an internet troll is.

Edited by abdomlahor

I dont get it. He virtually gave us 8million and owes us nothing. He could have let his contract run down for 3 months but he was descent. Him and downing shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence

I just want to put it on record i never slagged him and don't owe him an apology. Av1 liked my post yesterday so he doesn't either

Just saw an interview with Ashley Westwood in Portugal saying as far as any of the players were aware he was never going anywhere. He spoke with them yesterday and said he wasnt going anywhere.

Just seen that and seemed genuine enough. Also, I was surprised that was his real voice. Don't know what I expected but, but, but, I just can't get my head around it

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fabian-delph-called-manchester-city-6048418

"Twitter trolls" made him change his mind apparently. Nobody in the media seems to know what an internet troll is.

Doesn't surprise me after dropping the "loyalty still exists" line after signing a new contract it would have been close to blasphemy had he left. It would seem twitter reminded him of this. 

Is he still average now he's staying?

I'd say he's still an 'average to good' player. He's better than a lot of our other players, but that's nothing to shout about.

He's a tireless runner, who scores the occasional goal, has improved his defensive game over the years and has a solid, if unspectacular, passing game.

I don't think many of the comments made about his abilities were that bad, to be honest.

Unfortunately, for him, he's probably not good enough to cement a place in Man City's midfield.

Agree with this.

I totally disagree with this. Fab's fab in each and every way.

I do agree with those saying we shouldn't look back at old posts. No need for any of that.

Edited by AVTuco

OK, I was a bit strong earlier, I have had a nice sleep since and shall have a break from the Pims. I still do not get why Delph changed his mind, It wasn't just press speculation, it was on.  I don;t know, but I think maybe his preggers wife reminded him of his principals or something but unless we have been taken over it cannot be a money decision, for all the shite pR this was always a money decision, and why not.

I think Fab is Fab

Didn't make any sense why he would go to Man City but I suppose anythings possible when money is involved

Just reckon it was tabloid bulls@@t as usual just to sell a few papers

Very glad he's staying

On Talk Sport a reporter suggested that someone at Villa Park had leaked the story of Fab's departure and then suggested the deal may yet go ahead :angry:.

Could it be that someone at Villa just assumed he would go to Citeh once £8m was offered by them?

Or was that reporter just trying to make the press in general look better after running a story that had not been checked with the player or with either club?

Or did our custodian make him an offer he could not refuse?

Frankly my Delph, I don't give a damn!  

• Like 1

To be honest, i'm surprised that there are people who still think there was absolutely nothing in this. either they haven't been following the stories, and the facts the whole way, are deluded, or just over the moon that there was a U-turn!

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

Obviously Citeh didn't give him assurances of playing time and sense has prevailed. Don't mug yourselves off though Delph would have gone, support the club not the players.

That's obvious to you but not to me. Can you provide evidence for that?

No evidence at all I'm reading between the lines, citeh need home grown players, Delph is cheap and a decent squad option hence the interest. There's no smoke without fire as they say it would be incredibly naive to just assume he loves us, I'm pleased he's staying because it strengthens us short term, long term I'd question the wisdom of building a side around him as frankly I don't think he's good enough to be a world class player and the ambition of the club has to be to oneday be champions of England and Europe (I know we're a long way off) but what's the point Otherwise? I'm 30 now I've seen Villa achieve the square root of naff all for the most part of that time and I've seen us get dumped on too many times by players, I'd love the game to be different but it's simply not true to suggest that players share out love of our clubs anymore anymore, the only loyalty is from us the fans. I'll cheer his goals and his efforts but I'll never love him or any other player player, the modern game broke that years ago.

Some absolutely embarrassing posts in this thread. Glad to see mostly everyone acknowledging themselves :)

The moral of this story is abundantly clear - don't believe anything until you hear it straight from the horse's mouth.

Long Live King Delph

• Like 1

Obviously Citeh didn't give him assurances of playing time and sense has prevailed. Don't mug yourselves off though Delph would have gone, support the club not the players.

That's obvious to you but not to me. Can you provide evidence for that?
I think some of it comes from the words of Micah Richards who warned him about the dangers of being signed just to make up the numbers.

That's just another man's opinion surely? We don't know Delph met anyone from City, or what was going through his head at the time or indeed at any time.

Personally, I don't have any opinion other than the facts; that despite the supposed interest and speculation Fabian Delph has stuck to his word. Just as he said he would. How he has reached that conclusion is utterly irrelevant.

• Like 1

I get the binary nature of football, delph stays therefore he is a saint, we win a game 1-0 therefore we are doing well etc etc. But Delph was taken off the marketing images, we announced Gueye (when we didn't need to) all because the club thought he was leaving. What we do not yet know is why he stayed and it is a key point in terms of how Delph is revered IMHO.

On Talk Sport a reporter suggested that someone at Villa Park had leaked the story of Fab's departure and then suggested the deal may yet go ahead :angry:.

Could it be that someone at Villa just assumed he would go to Citeh once £8m was offered by them?

Or was that reporter just trying to make the press in general look better after running a story that had not been checked with the player or with either club?

Or did our custodian make him an offer he could not refuse?

Frankly my Delph, I don't give a damn!  

I think media is just trying to save their faces after getting caught with their pants down on their ankles.

What we do not yet know is why he stayed and it is a key point in terms of how Delph is revered IMHO.

Why?

I could not give a shit myself. You will likely never find out why. So it's best to make peace with it IMO.

Fine. But I whinged to the wife for 24 hours about him leaving, it was upsetting.

Â