Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

that video, lol

fair play to him for scoring so many at a young age, but c'mon, as con said, theres no closing down, and, most of them goals are from distance, before even approaching the defense line, keepers are really sh ite in the lower leagues

id like to see him score for us, but cant see it happening from open play, this isnt the championship

I've been a ripping into delph pretty much since he signed, injury prone, always getting booked and doing bugger all on the pitch.

What a turn around in the last 8 months, credit to him for turning it around, and credit to Lambert for getting him playing well.

Could be O'Neills best signing

Best player for us in the games I've seen so far this season, once he gets that first goal he's going to go on a run.

On Saturday did anyone else see the tackle against him where he was on his knees still trying to run to get the ball? I think he did win the ball back but the ref called the free kick. Was almost Messi like

Best player for us in the games I've seen so far this season, once he gets that first goal he's going to go on a run.

On Saturday did anyone else see the tackle against him where he was on his knees still trying to run to get the ball? I think he did win the ball back but the ref called the free kick. Was almost Messi like

You have made 14 posts so welcome to Villa talk and I hope you post more... have to criticise this though.

Messi scores goals and makes assists. The most in the world ever. Delph hasn't gained a goal or an assist in the last two seasons at Villa. He hasn't ever scored a goal in the Premier League and I wouldn't be surprised if he has zero assists in the Premier League. How can you conclude he is "almost Messi like?"

Delph's style of play is nothing like Messi, so as a player  he is nothing like Messi, and he doesn't even play in his position. Against Liverpool, Bacuna was in the position closest comparable to Messi's.

Do you think Bacuna and Delph are in direct competition for a place? I don't think so. Delph appears to have the defensive side to the midfield game nailed.

Edited by Con

You have made 14 posts so welcome to Villa talk and I hope you post more... have to criticise this though.

Messi scores goals and makes assists. The most in the world ever. Delph hasn't gained a goal or an assist in the last two seasons at Villa. He hasn't ever scored a goal in the Premier League and I wouldn't be surprised if he has zero assists in the Premier League. How can you conclude he is "almost Messi like?"

Perhaps you should read his post again slowly. All he said was that Delph's hunger at one point to get back to his feet after a tackle so that he could chase after the ball was 'Messi-like'. Not his overall play. :bang:

Attention, all. Fabian Delph is not particularly like Lionel Messi. He doesn't even play the same position, nor is his hair similar in the slightest. Thank you for your cooperation in clearing up this difficult and confusing issue.

Getting back on your feet after a tackle isn't a move that Messi invented. I'm surprised his name was mentioned at all. 

First of all, Mart-L7 warmed us up with "once he gets that first goal he's going to go on a run." To the crowd to celebrate? I agree, he'd deserve that.

A run of goals? Unlikely. Delph's attacking product, if there is to be any, is a bonus in addition to the real playmaker we need to have in the midfield. 

Delph's style of play is nothing like Messi, so as a player  he is nothing like Messi, and he doesn't even play in his position. Against Liverpool, Bacuna was in the position closest comparable to Messi's.

Do you think Bacuna and Delph are in direct competition for a place? I don't think so. Delph appears to have the defensive side to the midfield game nailed.

676_make-it-stop.gif

My point is you don't see many players getting tackled and continue to try and get the ball like he did on Saturday, this is something Messi does a lot ( hence the Messi like bit ). Most players get clipped fall down then roll around a bit then cry or moan to the ref.

• Like 1

My point is you don't see many players getting tackled and continue to try and get the ball like he did on Saturday, this is something Messi does a lot ( hence the Messi like bit ). Most players get clipped fall down then roll around a bit then cry or moan to the ref.

I thought using Messi was a provocative example. However, I can understand how you did it because Messi's a prominent player and it's easier using examples with prominent players. I've done this before myself. Pot kettle black as someone said. I have previously compared Bannan's play to Iniesta.

Let's get the discussion back on track. I agree with you that it was impressive how Delph has so much passion to get forward and attack, and to play the game, that he doesn't Bail Out and try to con the ref every time he gets breathed on. That shows his ball skill is high enough that he is confident of dribbling out of any situation - like Messi! However, Delph's close control at speed is not at the same level as Messi.

I'm sure he will score. He's capable of getting more than one goal for us this season.

Edited by Con

Â