Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

6 hours ago, Xela said:

I do like Barack Obama. He seems likes a really nice bloke.

He is when he's not mass surveilling innocent civilians without a warrant or drone bombing Yemeni wedding parties.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, maqroll said:

He is when he's not mass surveilling innocent civilians without a warrant or drone bombing Yemeni wedding parties.

Hey, nobody's perfect!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, maqroll said:

We all make mistakes. I once drove at 36 in a 30 zone :)

• Like 1

Received this email from my old school - whilst I always had ambivalent feelings to the whole public school bit ( great small classes for education, but some monumentally repellent posh twits and anachronistic traditions ) - this just made me laugh - it is just so excruciatingly conforming to my perceptions of it's old fashioned eccentricities.  Seems like something Bertie Wooster would get up to. 

Dear Me, 

It is with great pleasure that I invite you to join me at B School for 'Call My Wine Bluff' - an evening which promises to be highly entertaining.

'Call My Wine Bluff' is a game of seven rounds, usually divided into teams of ten. Each table is given a wine to taste without the benefit of sight of the label. The distinguished panel, led by T... S... from the Oxford Wine Company, describe themselves as 'brilliant and erudite experts' and they each give an amusing, informative and convincing description of the wine. Two of the panel are unashamedly lying through their teeth and the teams have to decide which of the panel is innocent of such deception. Points are awarded for getting the wine right and also for guessing its price. Prizes are awarded, and the Captain of the winning team is introduced to the fine art of removing the cork from a bottle of champagne with a sabre. A selection of savoury and sweet buffet foods will be served at each table throughout the evening to accompany the wines.

Please join us in the dining hall from 7.30pm for a drinks reception and 'Call My Wine Bluff' will begin at 8.00pm. Places are £38 ( !! ) per person (tables of up to 10 people can be accommodated).

• Like 2

I honestly wouldn't be that surprised. The end of year ceremonies were vomit inducing and would go on for ever. Some of the chanting certainly made me suspect they were big into cult worship :/  But it was weird, I think it only ever appealed to about 5% of the pupils. Most of us were bored / fascinated / embarrassed by it all. 

Let's not take our eye off the ball here, Rodders was a public school fag.

Boys2.jpg

I was at a 'do' once. An architect's award evening. I was in the queue for my scran mid way through the evening when the lady behind me in the queue asked what school I'd attended. I proudly announced 'Barry Boys'. She was silent for about 10 seconds, then put down her little plate and walked away, forsaking her place next to me in the queue.

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

Received this email from my old school - whilst I always had ambivalent feelings to the whole public school bit ( great small classes for education, but some monumentally repellent posh twits and anachronistic traditions ) - this just made me laugh - it is just so excruciatingly conforming to my perceptions of it's old fashioned eccentricities.  Seems like something Bertie Wooster would get up to. 

They really are a separate species. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Let's not take our eye off the ball here, Rodders was a public school fag.

Boys2.jpg

I was at a 'do' once. An architect's award evening. I was in the queue for my scran mid way through the evening when the lady behind me in the queue asked what school I'd attended. I proudly announced 'Barry Boys'. She was silent for about 10 seconds, then put down her little plate and walked away, forsaking her place next to me in the queue.

And if you'd said Barry's Gentlemen Of The New World Order you'd have had a new friend. Elementary error!

No fagging at this place, but it was the place where if you punched someone in rugby you'd be invited to a calm down tea with a staff member. Have consensual heterosexual sex and you were expelled. Old school manners, what.

• Like 1

I knew a public school kid.

When there was a fight, instead of chanting "fight! Fight! Fight!". They used to chant "Have a fight, see who's the best! Have a fight, see who's the best!" :crylaugh:

I earn more money than him now, so i win (only kidding).

Â