Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Struggling Browns reportedly considering Condoleezza Rice as new head coach

'The Cleveland Browns’ incompetence is legendary in the NFL. They have failed to win a championship in the Super Bowl era, have not reached the playoffs since 2002 and have won a grand total of seven games in the last four seasons. So maybe it’s time to start looking for radical solutions, although most people would think appointing the former Secretary of State of the United States as the team’s new head coach would be taking things a little too far.

According to ESPN, the Browns are considering interviewing Condoleezza Rice, who became the first female African American Secretary of State when she served in George W Bush’s administration, for the vacant head coach’s position. “She’s an amazing person,” a Browns source told ESPN.

According to the report, it is unlikely that the Browns would offer Rice the job but it could lead to her being appointed to another role within the organization. If the Browns do go ahead with the plan, Rice would be the first women to interview for an NFL head coaching role.

Rice is not as unlikely a candidate as she first appears. She is a lifelong Browns fan – she grew up watching games with her father – and has appeared in public in a Cleveland shirt.'

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/nov/18/condoleezza-rice-cleveland-browns-head-coach-nfl-interview

When the name Condoleeza Rice comes up my mind always goes to Immortal Technique's statement that whilst working for the Bush administration she was just a new age Sally Hemings. That may be harsh but I think there's truth to it, in a metaphorical way. Being the first African American women to hold a position is just a title, it's what you do with it and what you stand for that gives it meaning. Again, harsh, considering that I believe Rice's heart was in the right place and that she was genuine in her desire make the world a better place. But titles mean nothing to the people who actually pull the strings and make the decisions. The First African American woman to this or that, sounds great on paper but you take a step back and racism is still a part of everyday reality and the Bush administration only gave it a safe haven.

With the exception of some gay men, as far as I'm aware, no one with a penis actively participates in nail art at the beauty parlor or activities that women would prefer remain exclusive to their gender, not due to being sexist or any prejudice, because it's their time to themselves and they enjoy it that way.

Without wanting to limit the world to stereotypes I don't see a woman coming in to the testosterone filled environment that is the NFL and taking the world by storm unless she truly is one of the best football minds going around. I'm sure Rice is an amazing woman, and I mean that. But I don't see her having much success in the NFL and it would just be another meaningless title added to her name. What good is that from anyway you look at it? She gave it a try? I could give pregnancy a try but I wouldn't be any good at it because I'm not equipped for it.

The reality is that men are more proficient at sport as a general rule. I'm not saying there's no place for women in sport. I'm saying positions should be obtained on merits and not for the sake of having the first title and acting like it's some liberating movement.

I have no issues being coached by women, I'm the first born of a single mother myself and my Mum is one of my heroes but the only useful advice she's ever offered me in sport has been to quit smoking cigarettes if I am serious about continuing at a professional level.

This doesn't cheer me up at all. Even if Lerner is still at the helm of the Browns.

6 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

When the name Condoleeza Rice comes up my mind always goes to Immortal Technique's statement that whilst working for the Bush administration she was just a new age Sally Hemings. That may be harsh but I think there's truth to it, in a metaphorical way. Being the first African American women to hold a position is just a title, it's what you do with it and what you stand for that gives it meaning. Again, harsh, considering that I believe Rice's heart was in the right place and that she was genuine in her desire make the world a better place. But titles mean nothing to the people who actually pull the strings and make the decisions. The First African American woman to this or that, sounds great on paper but you take a step back and racism is still a part of everyday reality and the Bush administration only gave it a safe haven.

With the exception of some gay men, as far as I'm aware, no one with a penis actively participates in nail art at the beauty parlor or activities that women would prefer remain exclusive to their gender, not due to being sexist or any prejudice, because it's their time to themselves and they enjoy it that way.

Without wanting to limit the world to stereotypes I don't see a woman coming in to the testosterone filled environment that is the NFL and taking the world by storm unless she truly is one of the best football minds going around. I'm sure Rice is an amazing woman, and I mean that. But I don't see her having much success in the NFL and it would just be another meaningless title added to her name. What good is that from anyway you look at it? She gave it a try? I could give pregnancy a try but I wouldn't be any good at it because I'm not equipped for it.

The reality is that men are more proficient at sport as a general rule. I'm not saying there's no place for women in sport. I'm saying positions should be obtained on merits and not for the sake of having the first title and acting like it's some liberating movement.

I have no issues being coached by women, I'm the first born of a single mother myself and my Mum is one of my heroes but the only useful advice she's ever offered me in sport has been to quit smoking cigarettes if I am serious about continuing at a professional level.

This doesn't cheer me up at all. Even if Lerner is still at the helm of the Browns.

I realise now that my post may have been open to misinterpretation, but the reason I put this in the 'cheer you up' thread is because it made me laugh at how risibly ridiculous the Cleveland Browns are, not because it's some great triumph of overcoming the odds. 

It was probably the wrong thread; thinking back 'news story of the day' would have been a better vibe. 

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I realise now that my post may have been open to misinterpretation, but the reason I put this in the 'cheer you up' thread is because it made me laugh at how risibly ridiculous the Cleveland Browns are, not because it's some great triumph of overcoming the odds. 

It was probably the wrong thread; thinking back 'news story of the day' would have been a better vibe. 

Did Randy sell them to Dr Tony as well?

Edited by sharkyvilla

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

My bad. It's your post mate and I wouldn't have you put it anywhere other than the thread you thought apt.

I got the vibe that you thought the calamity at the Browns was made more ridiculous by this news piece.

My post was probably an unnecessary tangent and equally open to misinterpretation.

Normally bureaucracy is a pain in the arse. 

However, my passport expired with me still in Poland.

Applied online for a new one, took my own photo, paid, sent my old one off and the new one is on its way.

All within 2 weeks.

Easy.

Last night Mrs Lifeboats and I were at a restaurant. The couple at the next table were on a date that wasn't going well. 

Him: Shall I get you a gin?

Her (grumpily): I don't drink gin. 

Him (grumpily): You told me you were a vegetarian but that's your second plate of meatballs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Last night Mrs Lifeboats and I were at a restaurant. The couple at the next table were on a date that wasn't going well. 

Him: Shall I get you a gin?

Her (grumpily): I don't drink gin. 

Him (grumpily): You told me you were a vegetarian but that's your second plate of meatballs.

We should celebrate, you just came out of the closet :mrgreen: 

Australia. Upon learning that there was a town rejoicing in the name 'Humpty Doo', I of course had to look it up on Wikipedia, where I learned that it is the home of the 'Big Boxing Crocodile' . . .

Big_Boxing_Croc.jpg

. . . 'one of the many famous "big things" found around Australia', per Wikipedia, which also contains this spectacular line, under 'notable residents':

'More recently, Nev Sharp gained some prominence as a challenger to the UK's Paul Hunn's Guinness World Records-record of loudest burp'.

Fascinating country. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humpty_Doo

• Like 3

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Australia. Upon learning that there was a town rejoicing in the name 'Humpty Doo', I of course had to look it up on Wikipedia, where I learned that it is the home of the 'Big Boxing Crocodile' . . .

Big_Boxing_Croc.jpg

. . . 'one of the many famous "big things" found around Australia', per Wikipedia, which also contains this spectacular line, under 'notable residents':

'More recently, Nev Sharp gained some prominence as a challenger to the UK's Paul Hunn's Guinness World Records-record of loudest burp'.

Fascinating country. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humpty_Doo

Boxing crocodiles and burp contests. The epitome of culture.

Â