Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Was on a flight into Schipol on Saturday night back from Birmingham,  by the time we were ready to land a few people were either sick or crying round by me,  one bloke missed the bag completley.  (It was mega windy and they had cancelled over 100 flights that day allready (KLM)).

As we came into land at 20:30 on the main runway (I am in Die Hard 2 by now in my head) I saw the runway lights and he was just about to reduce the power when we got blown sideways and a bit skew,  we then went full power 45 degrees up and aborted the landing.  It was so loud from reducing power to max thrust.

It was quite scary to be fair (I was sweating a bit) ,  I felt I was in a film at one point as the plane went really quiet at one point,  I have flown 100's of times and that was my first and last plane story hopefully.  I then punched a nun and pulled a drip out of a little fellas arm.

We landed sort of safley on the far runway about half an hour later after circling for a bit.  Maybe it was becasue it was a really small plane,  that we got blew off course right at the last second.  (108 seat plane).  No crew were smiling as we all got off either, they were all white as sheets.

That's my nightmare.

I used to be a really bad flyer. These days I'm fine. Even if it's bumpy I have enough faith in the machine I'm in and the crew flying them that I'm comforted. I usually do that thing of looking at the cabin crew. If they're just going about their normal routine then I'm fine.

But your story would scare the shit out of me. If it was at the stage where even the crew were worried, I'd be a mess.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That's my nightmare.

I used to be a really bad flyer. These days I'm fine. Even if it's bumpy I have enough faith in the machine I'm in and the crew flying them that I'm comforted. I usually do that thing of looking at the cabin crew. If they're just going about their normal routine then I'm fine.

But your story would scare the shit out of me. If it was at the stage where even the crew were worried, I'd be a mess.

I have a similar story. Mid 1980s, small Air France jet, coming back from a French holiday into Heathrow. No crosswinds or anything, coming in to land, flaps down, wheels down, runway coming up fast, then suddenly stick back, wheels up, open throttle, steep climb, exactly as Neil described. No explanation. Back in the stack, round again. Second attempt. Exact same thing happens. This time we got an announcement, but the plane's PA was so crackly, we couldn't make out a word. By now the cabin crew were looking decidedly alarmed. Third time round, hearts in mouths, he managed to get it down, to much relieved cheering. Never did find out what the problem was. 

• Like 1

Now I don't mind a very occasional but of turbulence; it reminds me that I'm on a plane journey. Nothing more than the same sensation you get when you drive over a humped bridge a little too quickly and get the tingle in your guts. 

@Amsterdam_Neil_Dsounds like a nightmare for you though - sod that !

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

The front cover is from the Stones Exile sessions which was 1972. 

Well you're right that Exile was released in 1972, but the recording sessions at Nellcote started in the summer of 1971, so I guess the picture could have been taken then. 

EDIT: In fact the book has a chapter about said 1971 recording sessions, so it's legit. 

But on top of that, the title is taken from a Rod Stewart album which also came out in 1972. 

Edited by mjmooney

3 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Not too familiar with Old Rodney tbf. 

He's an insufferable oaf. But I was (and am) a big fan of his early solo albums. When he left The Faces and moved to the US (starting with the 'Atlantic Crossing' album), he just turned utterly shit, and has remained so ever since. 

It's Roderick, not Rodney, btw. 

Edited by mjmooney

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

To be honest when I saw them wearing no socks, I was surprised not to see stevo on there with them. 

I hate feet.

Not wearing socks is one thing. But actually showing your feet? Never.

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

On that subject I hate men wearing flip flops in town and cities.

100%

If you're on holiday, that's fine. I wear them myself on and around the beach.

But otherwise I hate it.

• Like 1

yep flips flops are shit in towns etc but on a beach or poolside on holiday they're a no brainer

as for no socks, no socks is better than those stupid ankle sock things, i'll spend the summer in espadrilles and no socks, winter in converse and socks, did used to work with a bloke who never wore socks, ever, he used to put like some plastic / rubber stick on things on to his soles, i didnt get that

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

yep flips flops are shit in towns etc but on a beach or poolside on holiday they're a no brainer

as for no socks, no socks is better than those stupid ankle sock things, i'll spend the summer in espadrilles and no socks, winter in converse and socks, did used to work with a bloke who never wore socks, ever, he used to put like some plastic / rubber stick on things on to his soles, i didnt get that

I wear ankle socks inside trainers, if they're with trousers/jeans that look better with the no sock look. I don't like wearing no socks with trainers because it makes them stink.

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the smells the battle but i cant do ankle socks they look stupid, they look like something that should be worn by someone in lonsdale trainers and three quarter length trousers

agree that the no sock look is better

well if you can see the ankle sock then it's pointless. I agree they would look stupid.

The ones I use you can't see them with trainers on. Which is the point.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

I live in Australia so flip flops are basically summer footwear for 90% of the population.

I can't do no socks, partially  because of the look but partially because I feel like i'll ruin my shoes more quickly. But again, I probably sweat more than you guys because it's Australia.

Â