Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

2 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Who, dear? Kenneth, dear? Gay, dear? No, dear!

The 70s were a strange time.  TV was full of "camp" gay characters like John Inman and Kenneth Williams.   But the papers would regularly "out" someone as being gay and portray it as shameful.   But Morecombe and Wise could share a bed together on TV and no-one gave it a second thought.   If someone was outed by the press it could mean they would never work again.    Williams' biography is undoubtedly written with his own viewpoint and in a manner that protected his career.   

Not so sure about the KW story covering up his sexuality. I think it's possible he may well have been an abstainer from sex no matter what his actual feelings. I remember an interview with Parky iirc where he was describing his absolute fear of germs, he used to go everywhere with these paper circles to put over toilet seats (many years before they became a thing), he wouldn't use a toilet without them and given that I suspect that the germs involved in bodily exchanges may have made it rather impossible for him to enjoy sexual encounters

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Screen ones drama "Hancock "  was quite good  , seems all of them , James , Hancock, Williams were troubled souls 

Fun fact: You know that Al Stewart song from the 70s, "Year of the Cat"? OK, some of you won't, but it's up there with (the somewhat similar) "Baker Street" as an oldies radio favourite. "On a morning from a Bogart movie, in a country where they turn back time/You go strolling through the crowd like Peter Lorre contemplating a crime/She comes out of the sun in a silk dress, running like a watercolor in the rain..." etc.

Well it originally had completely different lyrics, and was all about... Tony Hancock. The record company hated it, and made him totally rewrite it. I'd love to hear the original. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

3 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Who, dear? Kenneth, dear? Gay, dear? No, dear!

The 70s were a strange time.  TV was full of "camp" gay characters like John Inman and Kenneth Williams.   But the papers would regularly "out" someone as being gay and portray it as shameful.   But Morecombe and Wise could share a bed together on TV and no-one gave it a second thought.   If someone was outed by the press it could mean they would never work again.    Williams' biography is undoubtedly written with his own viewpoint and in a manner that protected his career.  

The morality of public school, innit

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

I often wonder if sketches like these were genuinely laugh out loud funny at the time to viewers.  Whenever I read "comedy" I think back to my early exposure to the genre; growing up in the 90's I had the emergence of risky and 'extreme' comedy and legendary sketch shows like The Fast Show and Harry Enfield.

I can't imagine the Carry On movies raising anything more than a smirk....and the occasional erection, of course.

I'm of the same era, and I've never seen a fully Carry On film, just odd clips here and there like the above. If that's the funniest scene, it feels like a lucky escape, it's painful to watch.

Maybe my age and a love of comedy of a certain vintage but I loved all of the Carry ons. I watched and creased up to them, certainly as a man in my twenties I found them ridiculously funny. Over familiarity means I will smile now but not laugh. As a reference at the time of the Young ones etc, I never found that funny at all. 

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

Maybe my age and a love of comedy of a certain vintage but I loved all of the Carry ons. I watched and creased up to them, certainly as a man in my twenties I found them ridiculously funny. Over familiarity means I will smile now but not laugh. As a reference at the time of the Young ones etc, I never found that funny at all. 

I would agree with your assessment of Carry On Films as I'm in that boat but The Young Ones used to have me in absolute stitches. It was without doubt the most important thing on telly when I was a kid. 

If people think Carry On hasn't aged well they need to watch some other 60's / 70's comedy.  It's not exactly PC now but compared to a lot of what was going on at the time it was virtually WOKE. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Screen ones drama "Hancock "  was quite good  , seems all of them , James , Hancock, Williams were troubled souls 

It’s often the way with “funny” men. Robin Williams a more recent example.

• Like 2

Just now, Genie said:

It’s often the way with “funny” men. Robin Williams a more recent example.

He was a very ill man . Very funny and likeable, but near the end you could see his pain . Great actor and all round funny man . 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I don’t get today’s humour . Rising Damp is a big favourite of mine . Steptoe , Some Mothers Do Ave Em’ as well . The Young Ones I enjoyed , but I didn’t find it that funny either , it was just entertaining. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I don’t get today’s humour . Rising Damp is a big favourite of mine . Steptoe , Some Mothers Do Ave Em’ as well . The Young Ones I enjoyed , but I didn’t find it that funny either , it was just entertaining. 

70's humour like "Are you being served?" and "It ain't half hot Mum", wonder how they would be viewed today, in the latter case probably not at all.

11 minutes ago, Sid4ever said:

70's humour like "Are you being served?" and "It ain't half hot Mum", wonder how they would be viewed today, in the latter case probably not at all.

Both were on tv a lot in my household as a kid. I didn’t like neither, especially the latter. Black Adder was another I couldn’t take to. Some of it is very racist by today’s standards. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I'm of the same era, and I've never seen a fully Carry On film, just odd clips here and there like the above. If that's the funniest scene, it feels like a lucky escape, it's painful to watch.

I've seen about half a dozen of them, and you're not missing much IMO. They fall into that bracket where there's no way you'd want to watch them because they're good, but also they're just a bit too good and professional to get campy enjoyment out of watching them because they're shit.

46 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Young ones was hilarious when i was 14  , 50 year old me thinks it just hasn't dated well 

Some Mothers do ave em' i don't remember ever being funny , but maybe i'd need to watch it again before passing judgement 

7 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Young ones was hilarious when i was 14  , 50 year old me thinks it just hasn't dated well 

Some Mothers do ave em' i don't remember ever being funny , but maybe i'd need to watch it again before passing judgement 

508AB603-FEBC-4A73-856F-0D5A8D780FC2.jpeg

Â