Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

5 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Can’t take to him that much. Mr Bean was ridiculous, but there was some funny moments .

When he goes shopping for a frying pan and whops a fish out of his jacket pocket to see if it fits 😂 I'm easily amused but that had me in stitches.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

In our new house (first house Mrs MNVillan and I have ever owned) we created an awesome library room. Has bookshelves with all of our books, a TV, a couch & coffee table, and a fireplace (which gets used a decent amount, it gets cold in Minnesota). It’s a really great vibe that always makes me feel better after a long day

I have a similar thing in my house. Prior to moving my vinyl was in the attic, CDs spread around a couple of rooms, and books in another room. Now it's in one and I sit in there a lot. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

In our new house (first house Mrs MNVillan and I have ever owned) we created an awesome library room. Has bookshelves with all of our books, a TV, a couch & coffee table, and a fireplace (which gets used a decent amount, it gets cold in Minnesota). It’s a really great vibe that always makes me feel better after a long day

Sounds very comfortable👍

I have something very similar with a mini-bar also that actually came with the house and have a pool table as well( Even though I am far from talented at actually playing pool😆)

• Like 1

The thing which made me laugh more than anything was an Only Fools and Horses moment.  Not the falling through the bar which seems to be most people's highlight,  but the Chandelier.  I thought I was going to die laughing. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The thing which made me laugh more than anything was an Only Fools and Horses moment.  Not the falling through the bar which seems to be most people's highlight,  but the Chandelier.  I thought I was going to die laughing. 

Apparently that chandelier cost a fortune...

27 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

How the merry **** do you ever find a record with all the spines in random colour order?

Alphabeticalized

10 hours ago, sidcow said:

Only Fools is superb comedy. That episode you just knew what was going to happen but it didn’t make it any less funny. 

4 hours ago, rjw63 said:

We had to downsize (a lot) when we moved, so my PC, vinyl and memorabilia is in "the guest room" ;)

spacer.png

How old are you ? You have Beach Boys pictures on your wall 😂 

cant say much though, as we have our own rock n roll wall of fame in the living room. Still some to add, although can’t add too many more 

1C36FFA2-4F4C-46F1-8A86-3EDED40F5066.jpeg

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Only Fools is superb comedy. That episode you just knew what was going to happen but it didn’t make it any less funny. 

This might possibly be why it was the funniest for me.  It was a fairly early episode (with Grandad) so I would still have been a kid and definitely did not see it coming. 

Maybe that's why it's funnier for me than others. 

A bit of classic British comedy for our overseas posters 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

This might possibly be why it was the funniest for me.  It was a fairly early episode (with Grandad) so I would still have been a kid and definitely did not see it coming. 

Maybe that's why it's funnier for me than others. 

A bit of classic British comedy for our overseas posters 

There’s also the less memorable moments when trigger was on about his broom being so many years old. It’s had two new handles and 3 new brushes or summat along those lines. The little moments like that used to crack me. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

There’s also the less memorable moments when trigger was on about his broom being so many years old. It’s had two new handles and 3 new brushes or summat along those lines. The little moments like that used to crack me. 

It's a very, very old joke/riddle/thought experiment. 

In one of the most iconic scenes in British television comedy, Trigger, the butt of so many ‘Only Fools and Horses’ jokes, proudly reveals that he has used the same road sweeping brush for his entire career. “This old broom”, he says “ has had 17 new heads and 14 new handles”. We, the audience, are laughing at his apparent stupidity long before Sid points out “how the hell is it the same bloody broom then?”

But, on closer examination, Trigger is maybe not quite as daft as a brush (pardon the pun) after all.

When Roman writer Plutarch published his ‘Life of Theseus’, he described how the Athenians had maintained the ship of their famous king in the harbour as a museum piece. Every year, Plutarch tells us, rotten planks were replaced with new ones such that, over time, every part of the ship had been replaced. So, was it still Theseus’s ship? (Yes, according to Trigger and, indeed, the Athenians!) If not, at what point did it cease to be his ship? It was, said Plutarch, a philosophical problem that had divided thinkers for generations.

In my mind, a similar question arises in relation to the Cutty Sark which had to undergo major restoration work following a serious fire in 2007. How much of the original fabric of the ship would have to be replaced before it ceases to be the Cutty Sark or will it always be the Cutty Sark regardless of how much of it is replaced, like Trigger’s Broom?

While I have got you thinking, I will leave you with this thought experiment posed by the Philosophy Foundation : if every wooden piece of Theseus’s ship had gradually been replaced over time by a metal part, could it ever be said that the eventual 100% metal ship was still Theseus’s?

Link

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â