Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

I am and long have been of his biggest and most consistent critics, I've not changed my mind on him yet but he has improved dramatically in the last few games. If he keeps it up I may have to revise my view on him.

Yep, this is where I'm at too. He has been excellent lately, but about four games back I'd have been happy enough never to see him play for Villa again. If this is the new Ciaran Clark, though, we're onto a winner.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has basically been playing as the de facto captain in these last few games. A huge presence on the field now.

I agree. It's like he is now a man playing out there rather than a boy.

Of course he's still going to make errors now and then, but he looks so much more composed now and has a nice aggression to his game as showed in the tackle on Ulloa at the end of the first half. I loved the look he gave him afterwards as well!

I know I have said this before, but I always noticed that he mostly did the talking during the huddles.

I think he loves the responsibility.

I think so too. He thrives with it.

This may also explain why he hasn't done so well coming off the bench and playing with Vlaar. He is in a way second choice then, and doesn't feel comfortable. When he is expected to lead, he will. And does it real well.

• Like 3

ElatedTenseBellsnake.gif

:clap:

Sometimes moments like these change the course of games and I think it was perhaps the case today.

A few weeks ago against Spurs we blew the game when they got physical. Their CB clattered Westwood (not a coincidence if you ask me, I think he was targeted in both games), Westwood himself was too honest and got up and the rest of the players were too nice and didn't press the ref to send him off.

Instead we lost our heads, Benteke gets himself sent off and Weimann gets booked for mouthing off at the lino and we got beat.

Today Westwood is on the end of one and Guzan was out of his goal and players were over from all over the pitch and not just because he was hurt.

Then a couple of minutes later Clark did the above and quite clearly put a bit more than was needed into the challenge than was necessary.

Coming as it did just before half time I think it was a really key moment in the game, their striker and main goal threat pretty much decided there and then that he didn't fancy coming back out for the second half.

Goals win games but moments like these change them.

Hopefully the team have learned something from the Spurs game because I know they got a blocking for being too nice after it. Today they looked like they were more willing to go toe toe and its a brave man who does that with Hutton.

I love tackles like that but the modern game has made that physical aspect a risky option. I'm sure we've all seen players booked or sent off for tackles like that when they have been deemed overly aggressive. Either way, cracking challenge and fair play to Ciaran for taking his chance, his spot to lose now.

ElatedTenseBellsnake.gif

:clap:

You know, the way that tackle woke up the home support was just great to see/hear. The commentators here were talking about the quiet atmosphere earlier in the half, which picked up just a bit with the goals, but when Westwood went off on a stretcher it got dead quiet. Then Clark makes this tackle -- and you can kind of see from the replay, he could have won the ball cleanly, but he gives it just a tiny little extra jump as he goes in, just to make sure Ulloa knows he's there. And suddenly Villa Park was rocking. For the short remainder of the half, Clark got a cheer every time he touched the ball. He's maturing into a real leader and a solid defender too. Keep it up, Ciaran!

I am and long have been of his biggest and most consistent critics, I've not changed my mind on him yet but he has improved dramatically in the last few games. If he keeps it up I may have to revise my view on him.

Yep, this is where I'm at too. He has been excellent lately, but about four games back I'd have been happy enough never to see him play for Villa again. If this is the new Ciaran Clark, though, we're onto a winner.

To be fair, he's been here before (in terms of good performances) and suffered.

I don't think we can discount the effect Karva and Culverhouse had on members in the squad last season. We really had some decent players turn to rubbish during their stint.

Long may his current form continue.

top bloke and top performances of late - well done Ciaran.... one thing he has been from his very early days is a clear leader on the pitch....

I remember seeing him play here in hong kong on several occasions with bannan, albrighton, steiber, forrester, weimann, delfouneso  and he was always a man among boys and the one they look to on the pitch....

its great that his play is what people are talking about nowadays - with that going well, you can see the confidence coming back into the lad... brilliant stuff....

and that tackle was a thing of beauty - half a second either side and we were in a world of trouble, but well done, sir...

• Like 1

Loved the tackle. Exactly what was needed after Westwood's Injury. Unfortunate Ulloa got Injured but it was good for the team and the fans. Gaby got the blame for injuring him by the commentators second half anyway.

I think a big part of Clark & Baker's improvement, isn't down to them at all, but Cissokho. Previously the left backs caused them both to be out of position too often.

I love tackles like that but the modern game has made that physical aspect a risky option. I'm sure we've all seen players booked or sent off for tackles like that when they have been deemed overly aggressive. Either way, cracking challenge and fair play to Ciaran for taking his chance, his spot to lose now.

Under McLeish, a challenge like that would have been labelled as 'disgusting'. I remember Hutton doing a few similar firm-but-fair challenges, which were immediately met with calls of 'thug'.

Keep it up Ciaran and Hutton, we've been needing that nasty streak for a while.

• Like 1

The worrying thing about that tackle was Sanchez getting brushed off far too easily and not tackling

He saw Clark coming. If you watch the whole thing he's busting a gut, sees Clark and eases off because he knows what's coming!

• Like 1

Under McLeish, a challenge like that would have been labelled as 'disgusting'. I remember Hutton doing a few similar firm-but-fair challenges, which were immediately met with calls of 'thug'.

Keep it up Ciaran and Hutton, we've been needing that nasty streak for a while.

I agree re the nasty streak but disagree with regards Hutton.

The only time I recall people calling a tackle of his disgusting was the one on Shane Long and in fairness it was.

There is a fine line between being hard but fair and dangerous/reckless, Clark's was the first Vardy's was the later as was Hutton's on Long.

• Like 1

Under McLeish, a challenge like that would have been labelled as 'disgusting'.

I really don't think it would have.

And I hated McLeish as much as anyone

We'll agree to disagree then lads, because I definately remember people blasting Hutton for challenges other than the Shane Long one. He was very much a scapegoat in McLeish's season, in my opinion.

As someone who gave McLeish a chance, right up until the end, I remember finding myself disagreeing with many people who jumped on every firm challenge he made.

Best bit about the tackle that I liked is the way the Villa players just walked off as if nothing had happend.  A DIstinct 'Dont mess with us message'.

Also Gabby's Challenge on Ulloa appears that he lowered himself to make sure his knee caught his calf.

It has been a long time since we have had any sort of grit in the team so long may it continue.

The worrying thing about that tackle was Sanchez getting brushed off far too easily and not tackling

He saw Clark coming. If you watch the whole thing he's busting a gut, sees Clark and eases off because he knows what's coming!

Appreciate that but it happened to Sanchez before like that almost exactly the same in the Southampton game I think it was

Â