Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

He doesn't look like a particularly quick footballer but when he guns it he can really leave people for dead. Which is strange for a winger known for crossing before beating his man. On paper he has all the attributes to be a devastating winger.
Yeah I can remember against Zhirkov at Wembley, he absolutely left him, I think he's similar to Carew in the way he runs, he's not too quick over the first few yards, but once he gets going he's deceptively fast.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Downing spent all of last season playing catch up. I'm looking forward to seeing him after a proper pre-season and hitting the ground running with the rest of them. I've always held the opinion that he was originally brought in to replace Barry but that Milner changed that. It may yet happen. One thing that surprised me most about him last season was his turn of pace. He doesn't look like a particularly quick footballer but when he guns it he can really leave people for dead. Which is strange for a winger known for crossing before beating his man. On paper he has all the attributes to be a devastating winger.

I agree with every word. I think the biggest issue with Downing is the mental side of his game.

He lacks a bit of bottle as I think everyone or most agree but I also think he lacks a bit of belief or desire to impose himself in games.

The ability is there and I think he is capable of far far better than he demonstrated last season.

I agree with that BOF i think he needs bigging up so he`s got the confidence to keep taking his man on. Your right about the pace aswell, he showed good speed last year. He should be quicker this season too with a proper pre season to get his muscles in the right shape early on. I bet he lost a bit rushing back half way through. I know from rugby that what you do in pre season can affect all aspects of your game especially your pace.

At least he recognises he hasn't reached any high heights with the Villa as yet. Good sign.

I think he'll come good. In fact, I have no doubts at all. He's a good player.

Straight into my fantasy team too! :D

I like him. He's shown glimpses of what he's capable of and it looks good.

I like to think he'll continue to improve and hopefully score a couple more goals.

Ditto on the comments about his pace. I reckon over 100m he'd be one of the quickest we've got. Very pacey when he gets into his stride, but not notably quick off the mark. Needs to work on his acceleration imho.

I feel that this year downing (tinkerbell) will do well and show the form what got him into the england squad.

He will now have a full pre season to get fully fit, and hopefully learn that if he does go into a tackle he wont break anything

• 5 weeks later...
Our best player yesterday for me.

I've always wanted Downing to do well. Mainly because I see him as one of these "hated" players, like Ashley Cole, who always gets stick - even when he plays well. (But it might be because he looks a little bit like a rat..)

I spent most of last year defending him each week on the match threads. I'm hoping that this year I wont have to!

:D

He's hit the crossbar 3 times in two games! A bit of practice on the training field and I'm sure he'll get one of those in sometime soon!

Ash's freekicks were great 2 seasons ago, but last year he skied a lot of them. Maybe Downing can be our new set-piece ace!

Â