Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Five.

vs West Brom

vs Blackpool

vs Wolves

vs Stoke

vs West Ham

1 in the Carling Cup against Burnley, not bad for a wide-man.

He obviously only scores against wuss teams and needs to man up and score against the bigger teams.

Though obviously 5 out of 6 goals came in winning games, come on DJ our lucky talisman. Way to go big man.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would love to see him have a go in the middle with Ash pulling out to the left. I think he has a real shot on him and this would see him getting more opportunities. He would need an enforcer/tackler alongside him and would probably be more suited to a three.

Would love to see him have a go in the middle with Ash pulling out to the left. I think he has a real shot on him and this would see him getting more opportunities. He would need an enforcer/tackler alongside him and would probably be more suited to a three.

He played in the middle at Middlesbrough a few times and looked really good in the middle.

When he runs at players full pace down the wing though they shit themselves, I wish he would do it more...keep the ball away from them on his left foot and run.

He played in the middle at Middlesbrough a few times and looked really good in the middle.

When he runs at players full pace down the wing though they shit themselves, I wish he would do it more...keep the ball away from them on his left foot and run.

Remember it well. If [can't remember their expensive striker] could have hit a barn door he would have had loads of goals and DJ would have had more assists than anybody that season.

I love the way that he runs at players as well although I don't think he has the natural pace of Ash and Marc. He is the best technical footballer that we have, with the possible exception of Bannan, and this is why I would love to see him at the heart of the team and build the team around him.

----------------------- DCM ------------------------

------------- Delph ---------------------------------

--------------------------------- Downing ----------

Marc ------------------------------------------- Ash

----------------------- Gab -------------------------

OK I admit it, I'm starting to warm to him. Still wish he'd show more commitment in the challenge, but he is now becoming very effective. However we will not be able to play the personel as Barry'sboots advocates until we get a defence that can stand up to an aeriel bombardment like we received yesterday. We would conceed goals galore from set pieces.

Adam Johnson is a cracking player. He is a right winger though and is a lot more attacking and direct than Downing, he's better in a 3 man attack on the right I feel rather than straight 4-4-2. Downing gives the ball away a lot less, better defensively and just as productive even if his product is alot more simple, see West Brom than say Johnson going on a mazy run.

I'd enjoy both of them in our team!

OK I admit it, I'm starting to warm to him. Still wish he'd show more commitment in the challenge, but he is now becoming very effective. However we will not be able to play the personel as Barry'sboots advocates until we get a defence that can stand up to an aeriel bombardment like we received yesterday. We would conceed goals galore from set pieces.

Warming to him? You should be loving him ,he has been our player of the season so far.

Remember it well. If [can't remember their expensive striker] could have hit a barn door he would have had loads of goals and DJ would have had more assists than anybody that season.

I love the way that he runs at players as well although I don't think he has the natural pace of Ash and Marc. He is the best technical footballer that we have, with the possible exception of Bannan, and this is why I would love to see him at the heart of the team and build the team around him.

----------------------- DCM ------------------------

------------- Delph ---------------------------------

--------------------------------- Downing ----------

Marc ------------------------------------------- Ash

----------------------- Gab -------------------------

Alfonso Alves you thinking of?

I've thought this as well about Downing. He's far more direct in his approach play than Ash. Ash is all about trickery, sending a player one way then the other whereas Downing just sees the space and drives into it. I think he's got a better shot on him than Ash as well. However he'd certainly need two CM's behind him to play that role. But i do think him and Albrighton have been our two best players this season, far better than Young who seems to be getting alot more of the credit.

Been very impressed with Downing. Would be crazy to change him from where he is at the minute, definitely him and super marc are the two stand-out performers so far this season. Hopefully he keeps up the good work. If we were to try Downing in the middle, personally, I'd try it in the cups, its a safer way to test it out. AY needs to improve, he' gone from one of the top performers to one of the weakest.

Been very impressed with Downing. Would be crazy to change him from where he is at the minute, definitely him and super marc are the two stand-out performers so far this season. Hopefully he keeps up the good work. If we were to try Downing in the middle, personally, I'd try it in the cups, its a safer way to test it out. AY needs to improve, he' gone from one of the top performers to one of the weakest.

I don't think Ashley is one of the weakest at all, sure he isn't setting the world a light with his play in that roll, but he closes down the defenders well and links up play well also...Always gives 100% which you want from all your players.

It's odd how I come away from a match with a completely different opinion to others.

For me - Young was the standout player on Saturday. He was excellent, and I thought he was a shoe - in for the man of the match award that he got from the sponsors.

I actually thought Downing floated a few too many crosses waywards, but still an excellent performance.

Where as my mrs was waxing lyrically about Lichaj, who she renamed "Ly-chee", amusingly.

And the Guy next to me said Cuellar.

It's odd how I come away from a match with a completely different opinion to others.

For me - Young was the standout player on Saturday. He was excellent, and I thought he was a shoe - in for the man of the match award that he got from the sponsors.

I actually thought Downing floated a few too many crosses waywards, but still an excellent performance.

Where as my mrs was waxing lyrically about Lichaj, who she renamed "Ly-chee", amusingly.

Albrighton was a contender, too.

Albrighton was a contender, too.

Agree. I'd have put him at a close second to Young.

Â