Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Think they'll be more of the same. Some decent games followed by a fair few mediocre games. Shining when we're playing well and winning and disappearing when we're struggling for form.

Pretty optimistic I think that he'll have the same sort of season Milner did last season.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's hope with a good pre season he can really start to prove himself, it was a big ask for him last season, was out from May til November, then played pretty much all game every game til end of the season.

If he ent cutting the mustard by January I'd seriously consider getting rid.

But he HAS to be good this season! didnt he say he is going to have the magical preseason build up with his new teammates. Pile of poop. At the end of the season he should have been the most fit/energetic of our team due to not starting his season til October.

I just hope he isn't wasted on the right this season.

In my opinion AY7 is wasted as well on the right...

And of the two, I'd pick the latter.

It's ok though if they exchange positions during the match.

I like Downing. I spent a lot of last season defending him when people seemed to think he was the worst player at VP. I hope he proves me right this season.

he showed glipses of some class. some of his crossing was world class at times. over time sdire. needs to stick his foot in more and take players on more

Couldn't agree more, exactly what I thought of him last season.

This is all a bit silly IMO.

He had a slow half season, didnt move any mountains, but was no way as bad as some on here are making out!

Amen to that, brother!

(^^ It's the new "This"... I'm trying it out)

This is all a bit silly IMO.

He had a slow half season, didnt move any mountains, but was no way as bad as some on here are making out!

Amen to that, brother!

(^^ It's the new "This"... I'm trying it out)

Exactly, AND he was injured for 6 freaking months, give the guy a chance FFSnake

I wouldn't be suprised if this time next year we are in the same position with him as with Milner now.

Not impossible...but, i doubt it very very much!

If Id have said last summer James Milner will be 09/10 PFA young player of the year, and start 3 world cup games for England Id probably have got a similar response.

Downing spent all of last season playing catch up. I'm looking forward to seeing him after a proper pre-season and hitting the ground running with the rest of them. I've always held the opinion that he was originally brought in to replace Barry but that Milner changed that. It may yet happen. One thing that surprised me most about him last season was his turn of pace. He doesn't look like a particularly quick footballer but when he guns it he can really leave people for dead. Which is strange for a winger known for crossing before beating his man. On paper he has all the attributes to be a devastating winger.

He has a half decent shot in the right position as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing him on top form, and I think this season might be the chance for him to show it, as BOF says he spent last season trying to bed in and catch upto fitness.

Really looking forward to seeing him play if he can get his crossing consistant - he put in some sublime crosses at times last season, often better than Ash could manage in the same game imo, but there was no middle ground with them, they were either peaches or absolutely dire. But if he nails them, he'll be an enormous asset.

Â