Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One think i like about him is he gambles at teh back post all the time and this is why he has so many goals this year.

Also him and Albrighton do have a very good combination

Was thinking this on Saturday.

Albrighton & Downing both gamble at the back post, something our wingers rarely used to do.

If Albrighton could head the ball a bit better, he'd have had a couple more goals from this route.

STEWART Downing has tipped Marc Albrighton for an England call-up after his fellow wideboy continued his special delivery service against Albion.

Downing opened the scoring from an Albrighton cross with Villa’s second goal then coming from the Tamworth tormentor’s ball to Emile Heskey.

“I am sure the way he is playing, England won’t be too far away,” said Downing.

“He is a good kid who listens and learns with a good future ahead of him.

“He has waited a long time for his chance.

“Ashley Young has been playing in his position so it took him a bit of time to come in.

“I think he is a very good player. He is learning all the time and getting better and better. If we can keep him in form and the other lads in form we have a chance.

“When he whips balls in it is hard for defenders, as you saw against West Brom.”

Downing admits Villa and manager Gerard Houllier have been hurt by the stick they have received recently.

“It is a good result for us as a team and personally for the manager,” he added.

“He is experienced enough to deal with pressure and all the flak he has been getting.

“He told us to stick together and ignore the flak that is going around. Criticism hurts everyone but we have stuck together quite well and tried to block out as much as possible.”

http://tinyurl.com/2akzctw

• 3 weeks later...
Sunderland manager Steve Bruce is planning a January swoop for Aston Villa winger Stewart Downing.

With Manchester City unwilling to do any business over Adam Johnson and Nedum Onuoha, and Wigan placing a £15million tag on Charles N'Zogbia's head, Bruce is ready to turn his attention to former Middlesbrough winger Downing.

And if Villa are not prepared to sell the England international in the winter transfer window, Bruce will wait until the summer to lure him back to the North East with a £12million offer.

The Sunderland manager said: 'We are now in a position where we can add one quality player and if Adam Johnson came along I hope we would be in the market.

'We are at a stage where if I am going to get £12m I would spend it on one player. We are at that level now where that can make the difference. That is the way forward for us now.'

Sunderland have accepted a bid of £1.5m for Paraguay defender Paulo da Silva from Mexican team Cruz Azul and he is talking to his former club.

Bruce is expecting Andy Reid and Nyron Nosworthy to join Sheffield United permanently, despite their change in manager. He is also looking to tie up a permanent move to Leeds for George McCartney.

DailyMail

We are in a position now where, to get better than what we have got - for instance, if there was X amount of pounds to spend, I would spend it on one player," he added.

"I would think we are at that sort of level now. But to get a player like that, who I have in mind, they are simply not available. I wouldn't have thought they are available, anyway.

Patience

"We will just have to be patient and wait for the right one.

"Sometimes in January, you have to give yourself an injection or give your club a lift.

"I don't think we need that at this particular moment unless the right one becomes available - and if he does, believe me, I will knock on the chairman's door.

"I don't think the players we are looking for in January will be available, so if they are not available, I am not going to go and just add to the numbers.

"We will have to be patient and look and wait until we can do something, which is possibly in the summer."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11695_6623639,00.html

Sunderland manager Steve Bruce is planning a January swoop for Aston Villa winger Stewart Downing.

With Manchester City unwilling to do any business over Adam Johnson and Nedum Onuoha, and Wigan placing a £15million tag on Charles N'Zogbia's head, Bruce is ready to turn his attention to former Middlesbrough winger Downing.

And if Villa are not prepared to sell the England international in the winter transfer window, Bruce will wait until the summer to lure him back to the North East with a £12million offer.

The Sunderland manager said: 'We are now in a position where we can add one quality player and if Adam Johnson came along I hope we would be in the market.

'We are at a stage where if I am going to get £12m I would spend it on one player. We are at that level now where that can make the difference. That is the way forward for us now.'

Sunderland have accepted a bid of £1.5m for Paraguay defender Paulo da Silva from Mexican team Cruz Azul and he is talking to his former club.

Bruce is expecting Andy Reid and Nyron Nosworthy to join Sheffield United permanently, despite their change in manager. He is also looking to tie up a permanent move to Leeds for George McCartney.

DailyMail

£12m, you wish Brucey.

Â