Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a touchline view I always felt MON never offered much motivation to Downing compared to our other wingers. Of course he is a pretty experienced guy so he shouldn't need constant encouragement, but players such as Ash and Milner would often get their compliments. This meant we rarely saw Downing happy to take players on and often cut inside rather then cross the ball.

Yesterday I saw a confident Downing, who linked very well with Warnock. His set piece delivery was superb, some of the corners in the first half were constantly put into dangerous areas, leading to Green flapping many. His crossing still needs to improve but it's getting better.

We all knew he had the ability to be a good player for us, it was his performances last year and the goal against City were he stood on the line and watched Adebeyor, that really annoyed a lot of people.

To be fair though people have been saying he will come good this year. After his performance on Saturday and pre-season he very well is on the road to proving a lot of people wrong - including myself!!

does anyone think that perhaps being settled on one wing for pretty much the whole game helped too?

it remains to be seen whether he has found a bit of steel for those wet wednesday night games in december but he could have done no more than he did on saturday so i second what a few have already said about him on this thread - i am very happy to have been surprised by his performance and i really hope he can keep proving us who doubted him wrong!

does anyone think that perhaps being settled on one wing for pretty much the whole game helped too?

it remains to be seen whether he has found a bit of steel for those wet wednesday night games in december but he could have done no more than he did on saturday so i second what a few have already said about him on this thread - i am very happy to have been surprised by his performance and i really hope he can keep proving us who doubted him wrong!

I really think you've hit the nail on the head with this one. Last season Ashley, as senior winger, dictated which wing he occupied. SD does not look good on the right in my view, but Ashley prefers the left. Giving Ash a free role and having Super Mark on the wing allowed SD to dictate positioning more. He certainly looked a lot better for it. He appeared more committed as well, however I still have my doubts, but hope I'm proven wrong.

Pleased he had a good game, very much a confidence player as other have said.

Scored one on saturday and could've easily had another two. Wouldn't surprise me if he took a few penalties aswell, he did for Boro didn't he and was decent at them.

Aston Villa ace Stewart Downing wants to become the club's next England regular following James Milner's protracted exit.

Downing is desperate to get back into his England suit after starring in FA adverts this summer despite being overlooked for the World Cup.

Winger Downing, 26, failed to make Fabio Capello's squad for South Africa even though he was still then used in several high-profile M&S adverts promoting England's official team outfit.

"I didn't get the suit," moaned Downing.

"I don't know what it was for but we did it.

"If I had got the suit I would have been happy!

"Obviously the World Cup was disappointing for England but I'm sure there are a lot of players who are thinking that they've got a chance of getting back in the squad.

"That definitely includes me. I'll never give up on England. I would love to play again. It's great playing for your country. I'll just keep my head down, play well and if he gives me a chance I've got to grab it."

http://tinyurl.com/2dt4fz9

• 1 month later...
JONATHAN Hogg has developed a driving ambition to succeed at Villa – from former Middlesbrough mate and claret and blue chauffeur Stewart Downing.

Downing’s Villa Park presence has given Hogg a lift on and off the pitch as he tries to make the journey from reserve-team regular to first-team player.

The 21-year-old midfielder knows Downing from their Boro days and was delighted when the winger joined Villa last summer.

Hogg is also grateful to his club-mate for regularly driving the long treks home to their native Teesside.

“We’re local lads up there so we knew of each other at Middlesbrough,” said Hogg.

“I supported them and he was coming through and making a name for himself so it was great he came here. We’re good friends.

“We used to train around the same areas. My dad and his dad always used to speak to one another and go back and forth with each other.

“He helps me get home on the weekends. We share lifts and he normally drives. He was a brilliant signing.”

Hogg might be five years younger than Downing but he has been at Villa five years longer, having first arrived in his mid-teens.

Unlike his older colleague who became a Boro favourite, Hogg had to leave his boyhood club to try to launch his career in professional football. But they also have serious injury battles in common, with Downing recovering from a fractured foot and Hogg overcoming a knee problem.

“I started at my local team and played for my county and then I was at Middlesbrough for five or six years from eight to 13,” said Hogg.

“It didn’t work out, then Keith Noble, who took me to Middlesbrough, got a job here and luckily brought me straight down. After a couple of weeks I had signed.

“To leave your hometown club is tough but I was lucky to get another chance straight away so I was delighted to come here.

“I like to work hard, tackle, get box to box and keep it simple. My career has been up and down with injuries and my knee kept me out for two years but that’s all behind me now.”

Hogg is hoping for a chance under Gerard Houllier after Kevin MacDonald handed him his competitive Villa debut with a start in the draw with Rapid Vienna in Austria.

The former Darlington loanee impressed that evening and was also given his first Premier League experience as an unused substitute for the defeat at Stoke.

“I’ve been with the first-team squad since the start of pre-season under Martin O’Neill but when Kev came in he tried to push us young boys through,” he said.

“Hopefully it’s a stepping stone. I just want to keep on going. Any appearance in the cups would be appreciated.

‘‘I want to push on and work as hard as I can to get a couple more bench appearances or even appearances.

“Hopefully, Gerard Houllier makes his mind up and he likes me.’’

http://tinyurl.com/2uh5xk7

I hope a few people are eating their words about Downing.

I was last night because I've been calling him a pussy :winkold:

I think hes brill last few games, but i still think hes a pussy :lol:

The lad just cant tackle for toffee!! And even before his injury, that was the feeling of many Boro fans, so its nout new.

At the moment though, and the way he is starting to play, im happy to overlook it. So its, keep up the good work DJ 8)

Â