Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Good deal in my books ..... let him go !

We tend to get too close to our players and, as a result, overvalue them. Downing has done pretty well this season compared to previous seasons here but that's it really ...... compared to previous seasons here where he has been dire if we were honest. The occasional glimpse of form in the odd game or £12M ? I know which one I'd choose !

Downing is very much part of the "dead wood" that needs pruning out from the club if we are to move forward.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would sell for 12 million, been to inconsistent this season, been MOTM in quite a few games, but has gone missing in too many for me. We could try to get A Johnson or simply put Young back on the left with albrighton on the right and get a Bentley or SWP on loan till the end of the season as cover. But ideally would want him to stay til the end of the season.

WTF!!!! People would seriously sell Downing now????

I don't for how much - the fact is Downing is one of the only players to be playing well this season....

Sunderland are currently in with a shout for Europe and we're in a relegation battle and so we should sell him to a) strengthen Sunderland and B) weaken us to ensure Chumpionship football next season?????

Madness

Definitely wouldn't sell in January, unless we get a top class replacement in, but in the summer, it maybe a different situation, but if we really going to lose Young in the summer, we can't really lose both left wingers

wouldnt like to see him sold, our best player for half this season, that said he's as bas as he's ever been for us in the last 2 games, didnt track back at all for both spurs goals and was utterly dire vs city, if he's not up for the fight then do we cash in on him?

Might be some legs to this story yet.

Bruce has been quoted as saying he's looking to spend maybe £12m on one player to improve their squad and a couple of Sunderland lads have allegedly seen Downing in the North East today. Could be complete BS but doesn't sound too far fetched.

Don't get me wrong DJ has been very good for us this season but if he wants to leave then I think it'd be for the best that he goes in January. His form is just too inconsistent to warrant a starting place. One good performance in every three games just isn't good enough IMO.

i dont see why if villa were to agree to sell him to sunderland theyd do it now, with chelsea tomorrow why would we let him there today? dont see how that benefits the club

This is just my opinion and i have no proof to back it up but maybe one of the alleged unhappy campers within the squad was Downing and his heart is no longer with Villa.

Given the dire situation we find ourselves in we need to display a toughness of character and a willingness to fight for the shirt and if a player no longer feels any affinity toward his club then recouping £12m is not a bad deal at all.

It's not ideal but if a player no longer wants to play for Villa then I don't want to see him anywhere near the pitch on Sunday.

Once again this is complete speculation on my part.

I am NOT going to skulk around the Sunderland training ground today, before anybody asks :D

I suspect they have a picture of a jiving cat with headphones on pinned up in their security office just waiting for you to show up again...

Â