Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope a few people are eating their words about Downing.

I was last night because I've been calling him a pussy :winkold:

I think hes brill last few games, but i still think hes a pussy :lol:

The lad just cant tackle for toffee!! And even before his injury, that was the feeling of many Boro fans, so its nout new.

At the moment though, and the way he is starting to play, im happy to overlook it. So its, keep up the good work DJ 8)

To be honest he got a fractured foot. I'm an aggresive tackler in football, but in Yr. 8 I ruptured knee ligaments and it took me a year to be throwing myself back in like i used to. I can understand his unwillingness to cripple himself again.

I think and have thought for sme time that Downing is a confidence player, and I think like Heskey, his game is raised with a manager that keeps his chin up.

Undrstudy,

I too have played the game, and my knees and ankles swell when i do to much, due to the damage done to them from playing. I still kick a pigs bladder around the park on occasion, so its nout i dont appreciate!

But he was the same BEFORE his injury at Boro!!

Im happy with him at the moment, and dont really give two flying fcuks whether hes a pussy or not. Its just an area of his game where he is weak. Like Carew is sluggish, Dunne sometimes switches off, Gabby not reading the game, ect, ect, ect.....

Not having a dig at him at all, honestly!

Undrstudy,

I too have played the game, and my knees and ankles swell when i do to much, due to the damage done to them from playing. I still kick a pigs bladder around the park on occasion, so its nout i dont appreciate!

But he was the same BEFORE his injury at Boro!!

Im happy with him at the moment, and dont really give two flying fcuks whether hes a pussy or not. Its just an area of his game where he is weak. Like Carew is sluggish, Dunne sometimes switches off, Gabby not reading the game, ect, ect, ect.....

Not having a dig at him at all, honestly!

Yeah I can understand where you're coming from, its just people often don't realise how a bad injury can affect you mentally

D4E.... is that true?? Wasnt eexpecting that!

• 3 weeks later...

An excellent goal last night!

Downing's been playing well this season (though I don't see many differences to how he played last season, he's always been calm on the ball, put in decent crosses and been good positionally).

(Mods.. if you don't like having so many Downing threads. Please close the stupidly titled "Missing - Downing's balls" thread. Thanks)

(Mods.. if you don't like having so many Downing threads. Please close the stupidly titled "Missing - Downing's balls" thread. Thanks)

At least that one is grammatical.

My vote goes for removing the one that STILL has the embarrassment of including the non-word "THILLER". :angry::angry:

Stewart Downing insists timing was everything as his long-range rocket in extra-time helped Villa see off Burnley in the Carling Cup fourth round encounter.

Downing was a frustrated onlooker in the first half, watching his team-mates fail to make their dominance pay as he sat out the opening period on the bench.

The wing wizard had a funny feeling the tough tie might go all the way to penalties after seeing Villa spurn a number of good chances.

So he was thrilled to come up trumps for Villa in the added 30 minutes and help dump the Clarets out of the competition.

He said: "I was delighted with the goal - and the timing of it too.

"It was a frustrating night for long periods. We missed a few chances, they made it hard for us and I thought it was going to be one of those nights where penalties decided it.

"So my goal coming when it did was good timing and I was pleased to score.

"I just thought on the edge of the box the ball could do anything - go in or even take a deflection and go in. I just thought it was worth having a go.

"Thankfully it flew in and that puts us in the next round of the competition.

"From what I've seen of it since on the replays, the keeper parried it in which made it look even better.

"But the ball moved quite a lot in the air. It's hard for the keeper but the good thing is we got the luck and it went in."

Downing also paid tribute to Burnley's dogged determination and the good football they produced throughout the game.

He added: "It exploded into life in the second half.

"We knew it was going to be tough because they did exactly the same last season - they made it difficult.

"They passed the ball well and they're a good team. They didn't lump it. They passed it around and moved too.

"Looking on from the bench it seemed a bit frustrating for our lads. We just didn't get that final pass or that final shot right but at least we kept trying and creating - and it paid off in the end."

http://tinyurl.com/3a3onhl

• 1 month later...

Fair play to Stewart, by his own standards this season he'd had a quiet couple of games. Then after the Liverpool debacle he spoke out in the press about how we needed to step it up.

I fully expected this to be standard OS rubbish that the genericly attach to a player ie Dunne and Warnock have both spoke

In the press only to put in a truly forgettable performance the following game.

While he didn't get chance to excel going forward today, thought he did some great work for the team, probably the grittiest performance I've seen from him.

Well done DJ.

Â