The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

2 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

We just spent 140 million and have nothing to show for it. So... we might make some good purchases, but I wouldn't let a gem like Jack go. I'd build around him.

Nothing to show for it? We’ve built a premier league squad that will hopefully keep us up and has got to a Cup final.  Hardly nothing to show for it!! I wish people would start forgetting we had 2 first team players after promotion!

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Left years ago to a team lower than us probably, it’s only in the last year or two that bigger teams have noticed him with only Spurs putting some money in front of us.

So being with us since a kid, all the investment we have put in over the last twenty years and then leaving after a couple years of progressively showing his talent and this the first year properly in the PL....yes that would be bailing.  We aren’t a club that should be developing talent for them to leave so quickly when they show real talent.

As for me....NO....my dream as a Villa kid was to lead Villa to glory, it was never my dream to play for Villa and then as soon as I showed my talent to bugger off to another club.  As a fan I would’ve loved to help Villa, lead Villa back to heights.  Realistically I know moving to a bigger club would likely be likely if I was that good but not at the first real whiff it wasn’t...he’s only 24, even if he left at the end of next season he would only be 25... to help his boyhood club climb back up the table....well it would’ve been my dream

I'm positive Wes and Nasser didn't buy the club to be that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Nothing to show for it? We’ve built a premier league squad that will hopefully keep us up and has got to a Cup final.  Hardly nothing to show for it!! I wish people would start forgetting we had 2 first team players after promotion!

Nothing like Jack I meant, nothing special. Sorry for being imprecise.

Edited by AVTuco

Just now, AVTuco said:

Nothing like Jack I meant, nothing special. Sorry for being imprecise.

Fair enough. Jacks pretty unique and to have a chance of signing anything near him we’d have to spend at least 30m plus per player. Stay up and we can potentially do that.  In the summer we just needed 2 many players so was impossible.

Wesley and Mings were our only big money signings really. The former disappointed but the later is worth more than we paid for him already.

• Like 1

TBH if I was the owner there is absolutely no chance I would entertain letting him go in the next 2 years whilst we rebuild. Regardless of division.. 

His commercial value alone will rocket once he gets that first cap. It's most likely risen ridiculously this season already and will for the next few years. If the owners really want the venture they claim then assets like Jack don't get let go for a few quid. They become the template for the image the business wants to portray. 

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Do you get paid 50 k plus per week to play with those shit players, if you did, would it soften the blow?

Is the team you play for deeply entrenched in your family history?

Has that team been instrumental in your development and given you a platform to become the player you are while earning top coin?

Do the fans love you?

Is the "Owner" of your team a powerful multibillionaire who has promised that things will improve with further investment in better players, and you are aiming to be among the elite clubs in Europe, whilst getting you even richer in the process?

Etc Etc Etc

you have got to get real mate

yes jack loves villa and his family is deeply connected to the club, yes the club has been instrumental in him becoming a top player.

Jack is a footballer and needs to play at a standard above what we can offer him for  now and in the mid term.  Our fate is unknown  but we are going to continue building for some time to come even if we stay in the prem  .FFP will not allow our owners to splash the cash  as other clubs have in the past. Even given that you have to attract the players , that takes time and will be difficult  until we establish ourselves in the division. Europe if you have seen us play recently is some way off.

Jack is a very special player who i would love to stay at the club. But you cant hold this type of player back he needs to continue to develop and play at a higher level. Claret and blue glasses on we cant expect him to remain based on loyalty or the money we pay him!!!  Reality is he will go  and we will hopefully collect a decent bung to invest in the club and balance the books. 

villa fans who watched this lad develop will not be  happy  but he will go and good luck to him . THATS FOOTBALL it wont change!!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

I already mentioned that they're different sports and I acknowledge that they cannot be compared as such. What I'm saying is that Edens is Edens in US and UK... Villa is therefore different from before. I don't think case Milner etc. mean anything at this point. 

(...and maybe not perfectly until this year, but yeah :))

It'll be never be perfect with Lopez stinking up the place /rage

I agree with you re:the owners, though. It's a passion project for them and they're used to being successful in their endeavours - I think they're ambitious and aren't going to let an asset like Jack go easily. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Comparing Heskey and Mcleish, to homegrown (Villa through and through) talent which could turn out to be the best player we have ever had, yeah seems legit.

I'll ask again, have Aston Villa done anything for Jack Grealish? Do we have any responsibility in Jack Grealish development, career and profile?

This is his first (2/3rds of) a season playing consistently in the Premier League.

To slightly address the other angle, clubs actually DO tend to take care of their homegrown players who remain loyal in one capacity or another.

If you were "shit" at any job in the world, no, no one would care as much about your loyalty.

No surprise you've missed the point. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Nick, just being devils advocate......what if we never had much money to spend last summer, what if the league money was consumed by club deb'ts.

What would have happened then, would the promotion have just been in vain.

just saying a what if?

ps I do understand the **** we got ourselves in, worse than we thought.

It's a great question.  I assume we would've had to sell Jack and probably only got about 30m, he would've had no choice really but to go.  With that 30m, we would've had to bring in bargains....no Heaton so Nyland/Steer would've got a run.  Chester would've stayed as we had no Mings, and probably partnered with Hause because we couldnt afford Engels or Konsa.  Luiz we may have loaned but no Nakamba...may have tried to loan somebody instead of Trez and Wes.  Then a scattering of small buys to either replace loans or fill out the squad.  It would've been incredibly tough. 

Again it would've been survival the target for this season but it would've been a lot harder with those kind of signings and without Jack.  Sheff Utd have shown what you can do without much spending but they had a settled squad, whereas Norwich have shown the opposite.  I think the money invested will reap some rewards, a better squad and key that we kept Jack.  A couple of seasons for some of these players will make the world of difference because they are potential signings....it's arguable now who those would be.

I'll throw it the other way because this is a good discussion.  What if Chelsea hadnt had had their transfer ban and Tammy was still left out in the cold because they brought (for arguments sake) Cavani.  Tammy came to us instead of Wes, I'd like to think that we would be more mid-table now, and keeping Jack (on this forum) was more reasonable, that one or two players this summer would mean challenging for Europe next season or at least top eight.  Improving our goals against ratio with the new signings and suddenly with a better defence, then Jack, Tammy and another attacking player and then McGinn and Luiz in the middle.  Keeping Jack more than one more season (next season) seems more reasonable.

So in answer to your question, we would've had to sell Jack, which would've done us no good and he probably wouldn't have got a great team that he deserves.

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I disagree. There isn't the same notion of "big teams" in the NBA as there is in football. The biggest market is probably the Knicks, but they've been probably the worst team in the league if you aggregate the last decade.

Right now, Giannis has probably the best shot of winning a championship on the Bucks compared to any other team. When big players move around as free agents, it has more to do with who's also making moves rather than how big the team is as seen with KD and Kyrie with the Nets or Kawhi and Paul George with the Clippers. If Wes and the Bucks show they're still committed to fighting for titles, I'm sure Giannis will stay. Not sure this applies to the same degree with Jack as there's always the lure of the "big" clubs, regardless of how ambitious we may claim to be.

Players tend to go to the big markets rather than teams. New york, Boston, California. Superstar players tend to move, they don't stay in small market teams or choose to join them. 

The biggest one I can think of, which I guess is similar to Jack in some ways, is Lebron. He stayed in Cleveland and returned to Cleveland because that was his home town club. But even then he left to join Miami to win his championships before heading back and he's left again to join a big market team. 

At the moment, we can't offer Jack the glory or the money. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Players tend to go to the big markets rather than teams. New york, Boston, California. Superstar players tend to move, they don't stay in small market teams or choose to join them. 

The biggest one I can think of, which I guess is similar to Jack in some ways, is Lebron. He stayed in Cleveland and returned to Cleveland because that was his home town club. But even then he left to join Miami to win his championships before heading back and he's left again to join a big market team. 

At the moment, we can't offer Jack the glory or the money. 

Neither can United, absolute mess of a club. 

Cuty, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal are all rebuilds. 

1 minute ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Neither can United, absolute mess of a club. 

Cuty, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal are all rebuilds. 

They can offer money. Higher wages and much higher exposure for sponsorship. 

They won't be a million miles away from top 4

Â