The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Percy has updated his article - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/07/30/exclusive-manchester-city-make-jack-grealish-transfer-bid-100million/?utm_content=football&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1627680755-1

With Grealish now expected to undergo a medical early next week, this development was always an unwelcome scenario for Villa's ambitious owners Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens, who are targeting a return to European football with the club's best player at the forefront.

Though Smith and Villa will be bitterly disappointed to lose him, they have already identified a number of options to replace Grealish in the event of him being sold.

Watford's Ismaila Sarr is understood to be one of their preferred choices, while they also admire Norwich's Todd Cantwell and Bayer Leverkusen's Jamaica international Leon Bailey.

Villa have held talks this week with Leverkusen over a deal to sign Bailey but the prospect of raking in £100 million from the Grealish sale could see them prioritise other signings.

City are the richest club and probably has the best squad in the world right now.  Forget the days of Madrid and Barca signing the best players, it’s now City.

If they want him that bad i think they’ll get him. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Leicester also won the League though.

We can spin these narratives however we want, depending on if we want to be optimists or pessimists.

Wolves got Europa in their first season.

There's really no better time for the so-called smaller teams to break into the top 6 than in these few seasons. West Ham, Leicester, Leeds and Everton all finished within 10 points of 4th place. The gulf isn't as big as it once was (apart from City where it's a chasm for every single team except for Liverpool perhaps). This is the time for a proper push.

10 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

We are talking about the same City who reportedly just bid £100m for 28 year old Kane? 

Jack is a top athlete, he will keep his fitness until 33/34. 

30 is the new 26 in football these days. Personally I think Jack will only get better in the next 2 years. If he does not, if he gets worse, then being benched at City when the next big star comes does not sound fun.

Who has missed a third of three of the last four seasons?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, thabucks said:

To all those saying he can join Citeh in a season or two. I think working under Pep is the draw and maybe he feels that he can take his game to another level entirely having coached Messi etc … wouldnt underestimate Jack wanting to play for Pep one bit. For all the love of Smith he is no pep when it comes to football insight and pedigree. 

Pep has a certain mystique, but much of it is spin. He cultivates this image, which is then further promoted by the media. Jose did it, too.

I find him alluring, too. But let’s see beyond the myth.

6 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

He's clearly got a stress issue with his shins. If he continues taking those "tackles" every week surely eventually his issue will turn to a full on fracture or break.

Quite possibly. Bit like Van Basten who got his ankles ruined by italian defenders.

Just now, Wainy316 said:

I find the idea of both Sarr and Cantwell very meh.

Absolutely, I was going to mention that in my post.

Sarr and Cantwell to replace Grealish is shit if I'm quite honest but that's the problem we aren't really going to be able to replace him. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Farlz said:

a68791d0fac6a631306b4ed3cd680488.gif

Where would he have gotten that info from if City, Villa and Grealishs agents haven't commented on anything?

Quote unquote: John Gregory's threat to Dwight - Football365

As was often the case though, Ferguson had spotted something others hadn’t. 52 goals, two league titles, one FA Cup and of course the treble in the following two seasons demonstrated why Ferguson was so keen to get Yorke. And, indeed, why Aston Villa and John Gregory were so keen to keep him. Gregory inherited the Yorke problem from previous Villa manager Brian Little, who had been forced to deny on a few occasions that anything was afoot. Gregory took over at Villa in February 1998, and by May he was publicly insisting that Yorke was going nowhere. “He has two years left on his contract,” Gregory said. “United may try but I am not interested.”

An old-school sort, Gregory wasn’t known for being sensitive. He famously questioned whether Stan Collymore could be depressed if he earned £20,000 a week, he suggested a decidedly muscular David Ginola was a little more ‘Rubenesque’ than a footballer might be (fact fans: Ginola sued, and chose Cherie Blair to represent him), and when tabloid pictures emerged of Mark Bosnich engaging in some accessory-related saucy horseplay, Gregory archly quipped to reporters: “We’ve been having contract talks. I’d like to tie him up for five years.”

So it was only a matter of time before he said something iffy in the Yorke saga. And really, in some respects you can’t blame him for snapping: it seems that every time someone put a microphone in front of him that summer, it was to ask about Yorke. “I think it is unfair…I have had no contact from United about Dwight but I genuinely feel they are trying to unsettle the player,” he said on June 11, already sounding exasperated. And he still had over two more months to go.

United made their interest in Yorke pretty clear, and made their first bid of £8million at the end of July, a bid that was given short shift. “Kevin Davies went to Blackburn for £7.5million from Southampton so I think Dwight is worth twice as much,” said Gregory. Villa offered Yorke a new deal worth a then-hefty £27,000 a week (more than he’d eventually earn at United), but he would not be persuaded. “Villa have offered me an excellent new contract,” Yorke said. “I want to see what happens with the Manchester United situation before making any decision.”

I thought of Deano, then remembered this.

As i was wondering how he might be feeling " If I had a gun i'd shoot him ".

Parralels.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

I don't buy all this "imagine him under Pep" nonsense. Seeing the "tactical masterclasses" he supposed gave when watching the All or Nothing series, he honestly said nothing that you wouldn't hear your average Sunday League manager say.

Money. Lots of it.

2 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Who has missed a third of three of the last four seasons?

As @Keyblade said, he will be a top athlete for many years, but he might experience some injuries. Look at late Robben at Bayern as a good example

Â