The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

6 minutes ago, beachboys1 said:

but leaving it this late is letting villa down to tell us either way

I don't think he is leaving anything late. He has 4 years left, until we hear otherwise. That's plenty of time.

It's us the fans who are not patient and panicking. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CroydonDebruyne said:

You would sell your granny for Villa to have our last 10 years 😆

This shit has happened to us so many times. Granted, not with a player who has the same connection to the club as Jack to Villa.

He could well stay but there's something in this. I don't care if he was born on the Holte End, if City are in for you, you consider it.

Yeah, you have been a decent cup team for the last 10 years, i'll give you that. Not been the same since you hounded out Wenger though.... on the slow, steady decline. Tick tick tick 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TRO said:

just seemed funny, when its reported all the players were shocked.

Maybe an opportunity has arisen post season and with players away on holiday they wouldn’t know.  I’m not surprised, there has been speculation about JT leaving for some time when manager roles come up.

22 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

No recent story mentions a release clause, including those that claim to have intimate details of "advanced" discussions.

So, the question is, do we think that NSWE will agree to sell their MVP?

I have a feeling that NSWE will consider it and not refuse it out of hand like Arsenal did with ESR.

It depends how Jack feels, but lets be clear here, he has just signed a 5 year contract....The club are in a stronger position, than some care to state.

I would be surprised if Jack kicked up a fuss, if the club refuse to sell, so If he goes, I would take it that the club have an alternative plan....but the transfer fee is key too.

The more I think about this situation, I only see a win/win for the club.....it could all end up better than we think...either way.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Seems fair and JT was actually at the end of his contract Maybe contract extension talks happened and JT wanted first refusal should Deano move on for one reason or another(don't even want to think about that) and the board couldn't guarantee that. JT will get a managers job pretty soon after his break.

I can't think of a single reason that the Jack effect could have a bearing on this.

JT still had a year left on his contract but irrespective I don’t think there’s a link between his departure and Jack rumours 

• Thanks 1

I trust the owners with whatever decision they make. Ultimately we will judge them over the next few years to see where we are at. If we falter then they have done a bad job and made a bad decision if they decide to sell.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Can't imagine why they would be linked. JT probably just wants to further his career.

I can see where TRO is coming from. My own thought when JT left citing that ‘he didn’t want to start the season and not finish it’ was that he might have known of something happening behind the scenes which might undermine our success this season, and by bowing out now he would keep his stock high.

At the time I was thinking maybe he knew that we weren’t doing any more transfer business.

Either way it’s unusual to not have another job lined up.

Edited by HKP90

17 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

It is the wider implication that the club need to be wary of. That we can't keep hold of our best players. That we can only get so far before our best players are taken from us and we have to start again. If we don't kick on and make big strides again this season then next year it will be Martinez, Watkins, Konsa having their heads turned. 

The biggest disappointment of all this would be if it is Jack that decides he wants out now and potentially threatens the whole project. The project he bought into 10 months ago where by the club have kept their part of the bargain by rewarding him handsomely and making big strides last season as promised. I hope he decides to stay not just for what he gives us as an individual player but because by doing so it would send out a huge message that our momentum won't be derailed and we are full steam ahead in our pursuit to reach the top. 

Well, absolutely spot on. Which is why I wouldn’t sell him for any sum of money, if we aren’t contractually and legally obliged to do so. Want to buy our best player? Tough, you can’t. We want to compete with you, not feed you players. Want to leave? You signed a five year deal and bought into the plan. 

We could replace Jack’s production on the pitch, but the damage to the project being forced to sell him would do can’t be compensated financially. I’d rather keep an unhappy player than take that hit, if the club has any say in this at all. 

Not that I think Jack would sulk too much anyway. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have a feeling that NSWE will consider it and not refuse it out of hand like Arsenal did with ESR.

It depends how Jack feels, but lets be clear here, he has just signed a 5 year contract....The club are in a stronger position, than some care to state.

I would be surprised if Jack kicked up a fuss, if the club refuse to sell, so If he goes, I would take it that the club have an alternative plan.

The more I think about this situation, I only see a win/win for the club.....it could all end up better than we think...either way.

Even from a financial perspective, I just can't see why NSWE would sell Jack, given the level of PR and marketing pull he has if nothing else.

I've long said that the club hold all the cards here. People talk about this dragging on, but what has actually happened? Have Man City made a bid? Don't think so... so all of these talks of him leaving are moot.

And, just one more time... he can't just leave. We have to agree to sell him if a bid comes in. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I trust the owners with whatever decision they make. Ultimately we will judge them over the next few years to see where we are at. If we falter then they have done a bad job and made a bad decision if they decide to sell.

I think this is the best way of looking at it. I don't see any way they decide to sell, but all we can do is trust them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I can see where TRO is coming from. My own thought when JT left citing that ‘he didn’t want to start the season and not finish it’ was that he might have known of something happening behind the scenes which might undermine our success this season, and by bowing out now he would keep his stock high.

At the time I was thinking maybe he knew that we weren’t doing any more transfer business.

Either way it’s unusual to not have another job lined up.

It did cross my mind.

7 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It hasn't even been 10 years since they sold him to be fair. He left in 2013.

Also right after they sold him they were in chaos before they signed Pochettino who completely overhauled the team. Too many flops signed by AVB, and they would have went they way Everton are currently going if Poch didn't develop some of their youngsters, despite finishing 5th and 6th. They got lucky their bad buys didn't do much lasting damage.

Sorry, you're right - I got the dates wrong.

On the money point, though, I do think people too often say "We sold X, and used that money to buy Y" when actually the money just goes back into the club in a general sense, and is spent on all sorts of things that help the club progress.

If we sell Jack for £150m, people will then focus on the next 2 or 3 big money signings we make. But from an FFP perspective, that 150m has opened up all sorts of possibilities that didn't exist to us before.

I'm not saying we should sell Jack, just that the money would go a long way, and I'd back our board to spend it wisely.

I agree with other people saying that losing Jack would make it harder to attract other players (and actually I think Jack needs to commit one way or the other ASAP so that we can make the most of this window). But I think Leicester losing Kante and Mahrez is a good example of how you can move on from something like this.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Even from a financial perspective, I just can't see why NSWE would sell Jack, given the level of PR and marketing pull he has if nothing else.

I've long said that the club hold all the cards here. People talk about this dragging on, but what has actually happened? Have Man City made a bid? Don't think so... so all of these talks of him leaving are moot.

And, just one more time... he can't just leave. We have to agree to sell him if a bid comes in. 

I also think....why would a player having one eye on leaving sign a 5 year contract, He knew he was being courted by the top clubs, why 5 years.....and then on top of that say " My club my city"   

He could have insisted on a much shorter deal, to aid his potential exit and his statement was unecessary to a potential leaver.

sure England has turned his head, but it can be turned back.

5 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I think this is the best way of looking at it. I don't see any way they decide to sell, but all we can do is trust them.

If Jack wants out and City meet their valuation they sell. Dean is always talking about team spirit.  No way he keeps a rotten egg around to cloud the dressing room. 

4 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

If Jack wants out and City meet their valuation they sell. Dean is always talking about team spirit.  No way he keeps a rotten egg around to cloud the dressing room. 

Not sure he’d be a rotten egg - didn’t Gareth Barry stay another year when Liverpool wanted him - he gave his all for that year before finally leaving to join city - I don’t think Jack would underperform , 

He needs to deliver on the pitch for his World Cup hopes 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Sorry, you're right - I got the dates wrong.

On the money point, though, I do think people too often say "We sold X, and used that money to buy Y" when actually the money just goes back into the club in a general sense, and is spent on all sorts of things that help the club progress.

If we sell Jack for £150m, people will then focus on the next 2 or 3 big money signings we make. But from an FFP perspective, that 150m has opened up all sorts of possibilities that didn't exist to us before.

I'm not saying we should sell Jack, just that the money would go a long way, and I'd back our board to spend it wisely.

I agree with other people saying that losing Jack would make it harder to attract other players (and actually I think Jack needs to commit one way or the other ASAP so that we can make the most of this window). But I think Leicester losing Kante and Mahrez is a good example of how you can move on from something like this.

I still back win/win for us....but we won't get 150m.....a reported 75m is derisory, but thats negotiating for you.

we have reportedly offered 30m for bailey and that has gone quiet, thats what selling clubs do.

5 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Not sure he’d be a rotten egg - didn’t Gareth Barry stay another year when Liverpool wanted him - he gave his all for that year before finally leaving to join city - I don’t think Jack would underperform , 

He needs to deliver on the pitch for his World Cup hopes 

I can see that side as well.  So either way it all comes down to Jack. What does he want?  Guess we will find out soon enough. 

Just now, CroydonDebruyne said:

I am honestly trying not to be 'that guy' 😅

On topic, it would be a big blow to lose Grealish but not the end of the world. 100-130m goes a long way in this market in the hands of good owners. Clubs like Dortmund and Leicester have built their success around selling high and reinvesting. No reason why Villa can't.

Of course but we got burned many times with losing star players that I understand the worries. At least we have proper owners now 

Btw the drama is not always like that here 😉

41 minutes ago, CroydonDebruyne said:

You would sell your granny for Villa to have our last 10 years 😆

This shit has happened to us so many times. Granted, not with a player who has the same connection to the club as Jack to Villa.

He could well stay but there's something in this. I don't care if he was born on the Holte End, if City are in for you, you consider it.

Probably about right.

I remember as a kid we used to make go carts out of old pram wheels , planks and tons of nails - we'd design our own improvements, like handbrakes  or wooden crates to sit in - it was great fun and very satisfying. Then one kid came along with a specifically built go cart purchased from a shop - he blew us all out the water. But overall the whole thing just wasn't as much fun. and I think that's how man city winning the league is.

Would I take your last 10 years - of course I would in a heartbeat. But let me give my first 10 years as a Villa Fan.

1972 my dad (RIP)  to me to Div 3 league match - Villa V Walsall -we couldn't even beat them we drew 0-0  !  - 9 years later, a culmination of a youth policy , and smart transfer business - I stood at Highbury watching be crowned league champions. I would love to see something built that again.

• Like 2

Â