The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

49 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Interesting to see the comments - I didn't think he was as good as he has been in recent games, wasn't offering as much of an option or getting on the ball as much. 

The game bypassed him first half but he was much better in the 2nd half. I still want to see more from him and I think he has it in his locker to get more assists and goals. 

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

Interesting to see the comments - I didn't think he was as good as he has been in recent games, wasn't offering as much of an option or getting on the ball as much. 

It's hard for him to do much when the ball is sailing over his head towards our imposing targetman Scott Hogan. But when he does get on the ball, you can see his quality. Everything good we did started with him.

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It's hard for him to do much when the ball is sailing over his head towards our imposing targetman Scott Hogan. But when he does get on the ball, you can see his quality. Everything good we did started with him.

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

It's not though - our main outlets are our wingers, Adomah and Snodgrass. It's up to Jack to make himself available to them as a short option - he has done that more recently but wasn't doing it so much against Forest. 

Exactly.

When we hoof the ball, it's not an instruction. Bruce isn't saying "Even if midfielders are available, kick it long to Hogan"

Hoofing it results form a lack of options to pass to and/or a lack of composure from the ball player. 

This is definitely down to the coaching most of the time. But players do need to make themselves available (and should be coached that way).
It's not like Grealish was constantly in acres of space screaming for the ball and our defenders were just sending it over his head.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Exactly.

When we hoof the ball, it's not an instruction. Bruce isn't saying "Even if midfielders are available, kick it long to Hogan"

Hoofing it results form a lack of options to pass to and/or a lack of composure from the ball player. 

This is definitely down to the coaching most of the time. But players do need to make themselves available (and should be coached that way).
It's not like Grealish was constantly in acres of space screaming for the ball and our defenders were just sending it over his head.

I'm not talking about tactics and whether these are explicit instructions from Bruce or not, this is for another thread. I'm just stating the fact that the ball was frequently sailing over his head, for whatever reason which reduced his effectiveness.

He's a number 10, he should be playing higher up the pitch...and it isn't his job to collect from the defence anyway. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Stockport_Villain said:

Caught between the devil and the deep blue see. If we don’t make it up he’s to good for the Championship and he’ll be snapped up. We’ve so got to get promoted this year.

Yes. Important to go up this year for so many reasons.

• Like 1

I am still yet to see the big hype about his performances? I will admit hes playing better but hes not impacting games enough at this level. I really did expect.. with his ability.. he should be scoring 10 goals and assisting 5-7 a season. He should walk this league.

He is starting to improve.. so hopefully he starts really firing soon. He holds the ball up well and draws alot of fouls. His biggest improvement this season is his work rate. So stoked to see him tracking back and working hard off the ball. 

I may be overly critical of him.. just because i know how good he can be. He has a good shot on him.. he needs to be shooting more and less dribble near the box. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

All this love for Grealish , I'd be curious to know how many of these loving supporters were once deriding is every appearance . As as been often said , class is permanent .

What's this post all about, I wonder? 

It's important not to get carried away here - he's looked better lately but he's still got quite a way to go professionally and class is nothing without form. It's not just about 'having it', it's about 'showing it'. 

I think Grealish will come good but he's still inconsistent and needs to keep his head down and continue working on his game. 

i think he has matured a bit and tweaked his game (definitely looks faster) but i think we've started changed a couple of other things too

his position seems far more natural, he was never a winger, the formation and line up we have suits him, a striker in front of him full of movement, 2 proper wide men playing really well, hourihane willing to move past him, his best performances in the last 2/3 years have been for an england U21 team that used him better than we did

bruce is showing far more confidence in him, getting a good run in the team both home and away, far too many times last season we pulled him in away games, he looks settled

the marketing has died down a little, he'll still be under massive pressure from the fans but he hasnt got his face on everything the club do anymore, think JT has helped with that

• Like 2

22 hours ago, carewjust4u said:

I'm still dumbfounded when I think back to how many times I've read that we should of let Jack go in the past.

He's still got a way to go, but he's finally starting to look like the player we all know he can be.

Yes me too we all seem to forget that we let homegrown players got in the past and have gone on to do well for themselves at a higher level!

• Like 1

I had real doubts about his application.....mainly going to ground.....never doubted his talent.

since his injury and it might well be just coincidence he has come back a man.

He is showing signs of being able to be a real top player....needs to add goals to his game to really get noticed.

I think he brings the best out of players around himself too.

Â