The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

sir_gary_cahill

40 minutes ago, spiezels said:

Had a drink on his holidays.

get over it 

Didn't realise getting paralytic in the middle of a road is having a drink on their holiday.

Maybe society is the issue? 

He was acting unprofessional and his big time Charlie attitude was soon showing on the pitch with his lazy performances and poor discipline

Deserved the criticism he got. Credit to him for putting it right.

What exactly should I get over? 

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Didn't realise getting paralytic in the middle of a road is having a drink on their holiday.

Maybe society is the issue? 

He was acting unprofessional and his big time Charlie attitude was soon showing on the pitch with his lazy performances and poor discipline

Deserved the criticism he got. Credit to him for putting it right.

What exactly should I get over? 

I did worse when younger and if I had that sort of money, i’d have probably done even more. Peer pressure didn’t help, and it must be insane when young and to be that rich and adored and to have those ‘hangers on’ who only care about one thing, a free ride.

Was Jack to blame? Yes of course. But we all make mistakes when young, luckily we don’t have scummy ‘friends’ looking for a quick buck from scummy red top rags.

I hope Jack has learned his lesson.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dick said:

I did worse when younger and if I had that sort of money, i’d have probably done even more. Peer pressure didn’t help, and it must be insane when young and to be that rich and adored and to have those ‘hangers on’ who only care about one thing, a free ride.

Was Jack to blame? Yes of course. But we all make mistakes when young, luckily we don’t have scummy ‘friends’ looking for a quick buck from scummy red top rags.

I hope Jack has learned his lesson.

Great post Dick.

You correctly mention of the so-called friends that half of them are indeed just hangers on that don't give a s*** what way his career goes all while they are enjoying the ride off the back of him and the influences.

Reminds me of the early 90's with Gazza's antics in a way and the people he associated with at the time. Look how that turned out.

Jack now looks really good on the pitch again and one can only hope he has wised up quickly.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Hang on a second, I love Jack both as a player and as a character, but there's some revisionism going on here. 

He was disciplined several times over a 12-18 month period for his off the field behaviour not being to the right standard. It's all fairly well documented and saying "I did the same when I was younger" is no excuse unless you were a professional sportsman. 

Conditions at the club at the time didn't help him, we and those close to him utterly failed in their duty to protect him against the pressures of fame and fortune, but Jack still has and had free will. 

With the support of Steve Bruce he has  matured into a fine young man and a dazzling footballer. But it does Jack no favours to pretend that period of his development was anything other than a disaster. And he knows it.

Ultimately his recovery all adds to the allure, it's part of his story. Rather than dismiss it it should be embraced for what it was and long may his upward trajectory continue. 

I was working as a teaching assistant and on a few occasions went into work the next day still quite tipsy. I think what I did was worse than what Jack has done. No revisionism at all, I was responsible for young people and let them down, he’s a well-off sportsman who made a few mistakes - I know mine were worse.

I do agree about the previous club conditions and the support from Bruce though.

Edited by Dick

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He was disciplined several times over a 12-18 month period for his off the field behaviour not being to the right standard. 

I remember the holiday picture and the birthday party that got out of hand at the hotel at Five Ways, were there other instances?

In fairness to him as well, the holiday picture was during the off season and by all accounts he wasn't responsible for the trouble at the hotel - it seems to me that he may have been a reckless teen but that he was always quite careful about not letting the recklessness affect his football.

14 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I remember the holiday picture and the birthday party that got out of hand at the hotel at Five Ways, were there other instances?

In fairness to him as well, the holiday picture was during the off season and by all accounts he wasn't responsible for the trouble at the hotel - it seems to me that he may have been a reckless teen but that he was always quite careful about not letting the recklessness affect his football.

There have been numerous other reported instances that haven't made it to the papers, he has been seen out at all hours during the season. There was the 'hippie crack' incident, all a bit dumb but undoubtedly against club rules. 

The bit in bold is complete nonsense to be fair. He has admitted himself, more than once, that his lifestyle was affecting his football. 

Why are we in denial about this rather than trying to learn from it?

Headline,

'Young man gets drunk falls over in street, sentenced to 20 years in the dungeon!

I've been critical of Grealish but the notion that because he got extremely inebriated he has to prove himself to anyone is silly. He already has proved himself by getting into the first team. 

Now hopefully with guidance and maturity he can kick on. It can only be good for the club's future.

22 minutes ago, Dick said:

I was working as a teaching assistant and on a few occasions went into work the next day still quite tipsy. I think what I did was worse than what Jack has done. No revisionism at all, I was responsible for young people and let them down, he’s a well-off sportsman who made a few mistakes - I know mine were worse.

I do agree about the previous club conditions and the support from Bruce though.

I'm not making him out to be the devil. I'm just stating facts. Plenty of young (and old) players do what Jack did, but very few have the talent he does and it's ok to ask for more from them. 

Right now he's delivering. There was never any doubt in my mind that if he matured off the pitch he would go on to be one of the best players we've ever had and I'm confident he will. Which is surely more controvertial? ;)

4 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Headline,

'Young man gets drunk falls over in street, sentenced to 20 years in the dungeon!

I've been critical of Grealish but the notion that because he got extremely inebriated he has to prove himself to anyone is silly. He already has proved himself by getting into the first team. 

Now hopefully with guidance and maturity he can kick on. It can only be good for the club's future.

Well he has to prove himself to Aston Villa Football Club. And he has done that. 

Nobody is asking for any more than his full commitment to the club, are they? Pretending it never happened though is just dumb. 

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Well he has to prove himself to Aston Villa Football Club. And he has done that. 

Nobody is asking for any more than his full commitment to the club, are they? Pretending it never happened though is just dumb. 

I'm not saying don't pretend it never happened. I'm saying he should be judged on what he is producing now. I surprised after all this time has passed that it was even brought up. 

7 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I'm not saying don't pretend it never happened. I'm saying he should be judged on what he is producing now. I surprised after all this time has passed that it was even brought up. 

He is being judged on what he's producing now. Anyone who follows me on Twitter will know how big a fan of his I am. He's the kind of player I'd buy a ticket for alone - like a Yorke, a Merson, a Young or a Benteke.

It's a positive that he has risen above the adversity. It's part of his story. It gives him character, an edge. Anyone still beating him up over it isn't really a Villa fan IMO.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm not making him out to be the devil. I'm just stating facts. Plenty of young (and old) players do what Jack did, but very few have the talent he does and it's ok to ask for more from them. 

Right now he's delivering. There was never any doubt in my mind that if he matured off the pitch he would go on to be one of the best players we've ever had and I'm confident he will. Which is surely more controvertial? ;)

Yeah I think we agree on the main points. The good thing for him is stability, too many managers (one charlatan) who have really not been good for Jack.

• Like 1

Â