The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 minute ago, Karl Emil said:

Yeah, too late for that mate we've caught on now. You can keep your Grealish and wave goodbye to Richards and McCormack

Thanks for the info

Darn it, well when your club is such a precarious situations clubs will sniff out your best players. I have very liked Levy, but he is a great negotiator and it looks like he has caught us again.

32 minutes ago, Karl Emil said:

Hi, spurs fan here in peace. It seems that Grealish going to Tottenham is likely, could anybody tell me a bit about him as a player? Some Tottenham fans are talking about him as a replacement to Dembele but I thought he was an attacking midfielder. Could be schooled to a central midfielder/box-to-box midfielder or is he already playing that role for you?

The Hazard comment above is bizarre he's nothing like him. 

On the face of it Jack looks like a classic number 10. But he's always struggled to reach his potential in that position. He's not great with his back to goal and struggles to find the little pockets of space that are so crucial in that position. 

The last 6 months he's had by far the best form of his career and that has come in a box to box role playing alongside Hourihane in same role and Jedinak/Whelan/Bjarnasson  a little deeper. 

He doesn't score loads or even get that many assists but most of the time (in the championship at least) he's the best player on the pitch. He is very good in one on one situations so helps to break the lines and his weight of passing and vision is excellent. He'll very often play the key pass that breaks the lines and leads to a goal. 

I can see why fans might think he would replace Dembele in that they play a similar position but they are very different players. Jack is instinctively attacking and isn't the type to play the mature/tactical type role. He is more the type to take the game by the scruff on the neck and try and drag everyone else along with him. He could replace him but it would involve changing the way you want to play. Maybe that's something Pochettino wants to do. I think he'll put pressure on Alli to although again they are very different players. 

It's heartbreaking for us because he's Villa through and through and we've watched him flatter to deceive, failing to reach his potential for years. He finally does that, looks a proper player for 6 months and then he's off. Welcome to life in the Championship I suppose. 

For anything less than £30m he's a steal, I dont think any Villa fan would sell him for less than £40m given the choice. But it sounds like we will get royally shafted so I'd imagine it'll be £8.5m plus £1.5m in performance related bonus' and Josh Onomah on loan. 

I hope you enjoy him and he continues to grow as a player. Without a doubt he'll be an England player in less than 12 months after joining. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, villaglint said:

The Hazard comment above is bizarre he's nothing like him. 

Without a doubt he'll be an England player in less than 12 months after joining. 

I may have rushed my appraisal. It was a bit tongue in cheek, but do you not think the way he carries the ball is a bit Hazard-esque? Maybe Hazard is on another level when it comes to dribbling due to a bit more pace, but Jack likes to take people on. 

Ultimately, it's so gutting and this second thing you say above about England, I am absolutely convinced is true. Watching him at a well-run club will only hammer home the idea that we've been run by absolute morons for the last 8 or so years. It only...

It was all so close to being papered over in the PO final too. 

Edited by praisedmambo

13 minutes ago, CosmicVillan said:

England could have done with him tonight

Been saying this all tourno. He's the most gifted, natural young English player around at the moment, he just needs to make the right move (Spurs) to hone him into the finished article.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, turnbull said:

Been saying this all tourno. He's the most gifted, natural young English player around at the moment, he just needs to make the right move (Spurs) to hone him into the finished article.

It's the only crumb of comfort if ( when ) he goes..roll on the Euros

14 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I reckon we will get 20m tops. That's 10m under what i think his going rate is. Considering our position 10m loss woukd be a dreadful deal for us.

That is the problem. Everybody knows our position. Hardly a position of strength is it? We can't even try to pretend that we would be prepared to keep him if we don't get top dollar.

1 hour ago, CosmicVillan said:

England could have done with him tonight

i dont see it...our tactic tonight was lump it forward and expect sterling to chase it down with then lingards pace acting as the back up and then kane and ali in pursuit, the tactic past kane by pretty much all night

jack doesnt fit the england team tonight, he would be labelled as not quick enough and not good enough off the ball ( 1) both of which are something he's got a lot better at last season, 2) neither was ali...) the game would have passed him by and he would have been panned, which was my main worry about him being called up, theres no grealish strength that england play to, he would be lost

18 hours ago, villa4europe said:

i dont see it...our tactic tonight was lump it forward and expect sterling to chase it down with then lingards pace acting as the back up and then kane and ali in pursuit, the tactic past kane by pretty much all night

jack doesnt fit the england team tonight, he would be labelled as not quick enough and not good enough off the ball ( 1) both of which are something he's got a lot better at last season, 2) neither was ali...) the game would have passed him by and he would have been panned, which was my main worry about him being called up, theres no grealish strength that england play to, he would be lost

With him in the team they wouldn't have needed to do that. I think it was a deliberate tactic because Southgate knew we had nobody who could carry a threat from midfield so instead of going sideways and backwards as they did in other games to retain possession they tried to hit the front players early and use their pace to get in behind. He knew we couldn't beat them at their own game in the middle of the park so he came up with a strategy to negate it.

With a player like Grealish you suddenly have someone who can hold on to the ball, beat his man and with the movement & pace in front of him play through balls for the attackers and hopefully stop Kane  particularly dropping so deep.  All ifs , buts & maybe's I know but next time at St George's Park I'm going to have a word.   

with where he is right now southgate is going to build his tactics in a world cup semi final around jack grealish? or like last night try and play to the strengths of sterling, alli and lingard?

he's 3/4 years away from getting that role for england if he ever gets it

He will be a much better player at Spurs, having talent around him will allow him to develop even more.

He has to do too much with us.....He will be free to concentrate on the business end of the pitch.

I see him scoring more goals at Spurs.

• Like 1

On 11/07/2018 at 23:40, Karl Emil said:

Hi, spurs fan here in peace. It seems that Grealish going to Tottenham is likely, could anybody tell me a bit about him as a player? Some Tottenham fans are talking about him as a replacement to Dembele but I thought he was an attacking midfielder. Could be schooled to a central midfielder/box-to-box midfielder or is he already playing that role for you?

Have a look at the careers of Coutinho and Silva, where they were at when they were his age, look at his highlight reel from last season (albeit in the Championship).

Come back and tell me you don't have a potentially world class player on your hands, and I'll punch you in the face, as I'll still be as devastated then as I am now.

• Haha 1

If he goes to a top club he will, without a shadow of a doubt, be a regular England international.

Kills me to say it, but Tottenham (Pochettino specifically) are a perfect fit for a player of his talents.

That being said, he's going **** nowhere!! 

• Like 1

On 11/07/2018 at 14:40, Karl Emil said:

potential to be similar to how Luka Modric was for Spurs. definite differences, his style is very unique and less flash than modric (doesn’t smash in 30 yard rockets or do step overs) but his main attribute is carrying the ball forward through a midfield and he’s very good at threading through wide players with accuracy. his ceiling is very high.

the danger at spurs is that they see him simply as a left winger, he can play there but he's a not a wide man, if they play kane up front with then a 3 of alli, son, eriksen playing off him all 3 with the freedom to roam and pop up anywhere then jack slots in as a back up to any of those 3, if it is dembele going (not a clue why, great player) then eriksen or alli would be better dropping deeper than jack

from what i have read on a couple of spurs forums is some fans think they have players who can pass the ball forward brilliantly but not many who can carry it forward, based on what i saw of alli at the WC thats definitely a fair comment, jack can carry it forward as well as pass it, he hasnt got the timing of alli so wont get the goals or stats, hasnt got the quality of eriksen and son is a bit of everything and hard to pigeon hole, i'd say he'd give spurs more than lamela, n'koudou probably moura too (not a clue why spurs signed him)

Good club, and I think he will do well there. 

I just want this saga of will he or wont he to end. I don't want us to have Grealish all preseason and have him controlling things in the midfield only for him to leave before the season starts and we scramble to replace him or are forced into a new formation. 

Jack has all the makings to be a top player but he still has a lot to prove at the highest level. He won’t have anywhere near the time and space afforded to him in the Championship. But at the same time he will be surrounded by top players and can learn from the likes of Erickson and a top coach like Poch.

Wish him all the best but so gutted he leaving. 

Â