The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

10 hours ago, flamingsombrero said:

I'll get slaughtered for this but I'm sorry I've just never seen it. Not at the insane level most put him up at anyway. I recon he'll be somewhere like Watford or Palace in a couple of years.

Have made my thought clear enough over the past 700+ pages, I just don't think he is that good. Sure he has potential but he has barely played 100 games and although he makes some great runs it is rare anything ever comes as a result of them. Will probably do better in a better team but can't see him starting for spurs very often next season

15 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Have made my thought clear enough over the past 700+ pages, I just don't think he is that good. Sure he has potential but he has barely played 100 games and although he makes some great runs it is rare anything ever comes as a result of them. Will probably do better in a better team but can't see him starting for spurs very often next season

Compared to who, though?

I mean, he's quite obviously the best player we have.  So what is "that good"?

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

Moaninf that he hasn't played 100 games? He's only 22? Had a life threatening injury less than 12 months ago and still was our best player last season...

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Thing is mrduck its at a much lower level. Spurzzz will be playing at a much higher level than us esp in the champions league.

Yeah, but that works both ways...he will be even better playing with much more talented team mates, for a team that actually plays decent football.

34 minutes ago, MrDuck said:

Yeah, but that works both ways...he will be even better playing with much more talented team mates, for a team that actually plays decent football.

Not really. Didn't work for benteke at Liverpool? There are many examples of failures and successes but because you play for a team with better players does not mean that makes you better.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

Moaninf that he hasn't played 100 games? He's only 22? Had a life threatening injury less than 12 months ago and still was our best player last season...

more the fact that his departure is being treated as the loss of some great hero/legend. He has hardly played & is barely a footnote in the history of Aston Villa, Some of the comparisons to Coutinho etc are frankly ludicrous. There are plenty of players that are 21-24 that have had much more of an impact for their clubs, He is way, way, way behind most of the current England team who are mostly in that age group.

In our 2 seasons in this league he has only started 39 games out of 92, People were concerned about old fogies like Terry/Jedinak etc not being able to play a full season but Grealish hasn't even managed a full season spread out over 2 years.

You can't be a star player / superstar if you only start 42% of the games

Edited by LakotaDakota

28 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

more the fact that his departure is being treated as the loss of some great hero/legend. He has hardly played & is barely a footnote in the history of Aston Villa, Some of the comparisons to Coutinho etc are frankly ludicrous. There are plenty of players that are 21-24 that have had much more of an impact for their clubs, He is way, way, way behind most of the current England team who are mostly in that age group

Arguably we've held him back with our more defensive style. I think he could flourish and make a name for himself quickly somewhere else.

29 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Not really. Didn't work for benteke at Liverpool? There are many examples of failures and successes but because you play for a team with better players does not mean that makes you better.

Well... I'm not really saying that it makes _him_ better, I'm saying with better players _around_ him he'll be more productive in terms of goals and assists. Playing with people of simliar ability will make him far more effective.

But hey, I'm not saying anything is certain. Just my opinion! I think he'll be a massive success, perhaps a less mental Gascoigne, but it's quite possible that others are right and he'll be on the Huddersfield bench in 3 years time.

Thanks for all the comments, just read this article on Jack https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/transfer-news/jack-grealish-villa-spurs-transfer-14903953. Seems a good guy and a Villa man through and through. It's a bit sad that he has to leave your club, but I can't help but be excited for him joining us. Hope to see you guys back in the pl soon

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Karl Emil said:

Thanks for all the comments, just read this article on Jack https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/transfer-news/jack-grealish-villa-spurs-transfer-14903953. Seems a good guy and a Villa man through and through. It's a bit sad that he has to leave your club, but I can't help but be excited for him joining us. Hope to see you guys back in the pl soon

Jack Grealish in his own words on leaving Aston Villa

suggests one thing

On always giving 100 per cent and not wanting to leave Aston Villa (February 2017)

"If I was in the Holte End watching me play, what I’d want to see is passion, to show you are fighting for the shirt. You’ve got players who have good technical ability, and the team and the fans expect more of those players. But first of all show that you want to play for the shirt.

!I’ve grown up watching everyone on that pitch, hoping that one day that would be me. And it is me now. I just need to enjoy it and make the most of it. A lot of ex-pros have told me that sometimes you take it for granted, the playing, but they are the best days of your life. I’m 21 and I might have 15-16 years, but you never know what’s going to come along, do you?

"I would never want to leave the Villa. It’s a difficult question, but I wouldn't want to leave, no. I live here. I've been brought up here. I’m not planning on leaving any time soon.

"This is the dream for me. Exactly the dream. All I've wanted to do my whole life was to play for Villa, to be classed as a Villa first-team player."

actually says something quite different

6 minutes ago, Fight Like Lions said:

Another day and he’s still a Villa player. Does anybody else wish Spurs would just get on with it so we can try and move on?! 

Nah Bruce has stated we're so screwed that clubs should wait until deadline day and put in a stupidly low bid and he'll have to accept it and have no time to buy anyone else. Perfect execution of the Plan B if we didn't go up.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Nah Bruce has stated we're so screwed that clubs should wait until deadline day and put in a stupidly low bid and he'll have to accept it and have no time to buy anyone else. Perfect execution of the Plan B if we didn't go up.

Lolz

Good thing people actually involved in football aren't as easily led as those around here eh?! 

6 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Transfer money should never be used to keep the operational side of a club going, it should be exclusively for bringing in new talent. 

I'll be honest and say I'm utterly gobsmacked at the level of incompetence of the senior management of Aston Villa and they should be absolutely ashamed that they've let things go so badly, it's got to this point. 

Whilst I knew we'd probably have to sell Jack this summer, I didn't think it would be to merely enable to the club to exist.  

The biggest mis-management of the club in my entire life time, and I didn't think it could get much worse than the previous 2 chairmen. 

Too true. We have been in this game long enough to know when you sell your best player you use that to fund 5 or 6 totally inept signings. 

• Haha 1

It's really unfortunate we basically have to sell because another season in the championship would probably do him a lot of good. Grealish still needs to work on his shooting, and become more of an offensive threat. He will be expected to produce immediately at Spurs. 

• Like 1

Â