Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

6 hours ago, sne said:

Just popping in with my weekly post about how amazing Chernobyl is.

Carry on.

It’s currently the highest rated TV show ever on IMDB (based on user ratings). 

It really is brilliant. 

The first episode was one of the best 60 mins of TV I have ever seen. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

It’s currently the highest rated TV show ever on IMDB (based on user ratings). 

It really is brilliant. 

The first episode was one of the best 60 mins of TV I have ever seen. 

The last ep. was bloody harrowing. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sne said:

Carry on.

I can’t believe I agreed to self-embargo myself in this and wait until the weekends to watch it with the other half. She shares my sky account so would totally know if I’d cheated and watched it without her. 

First few episodes have been stunning telly. 

10 hours ago, sne said:

Carry on.

Just watched the first episode. Impressive.

Great colour scheme to the photography to really convey the grimness and excellent acting from all the main players, really convincing stuff.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, coda said:

Just finished watching Chernobyl and...

Hide contents

I was sure there were only four episodes. Was the fifth kept quiet?

Nope - no surprises there for me.

• Sad 1

Two episodes of Chernobyl down and I can't see what the fuss is about. It's dull. Nothing's happened.

Yeah, I'm joking. It's **** brilliant.

Edited by Stevo985
A picture randomly appeared in my post!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Two episodes of Chernobyl down and I can't see what the fuss is about. It's dull. Nothing's happened.

Yeah, I'm joking. It's **** brilliant.

I was about to call you a sockless bumder...

• Haha 3

First couple of episodes of Good Omens are pretty good.

It's cast excellently (thus far), and obviously Crowley and Aziraphale steal the show from under everyone. It's faithful to the book, but not unerringly. The birthday party scene is heavily cut, Anathema has been altered, Newton meeting Shadwell is changed, some jokes are updated and others aren't spelled out (yet).

It isn't flawless. Pratchett's style is difficult to adapt, with many of the humorous elements coming from observations of the narrator and in footnotes. They work around this by having god act as the narrator so, particularly in the first episode, you get a lot of voiceover narration lifted straight from the book. It's fairly intrusive, sometimes not gelling with a live action adaptation like it does on the page.

It also has a very knowing style. Dialogue is very... Forthright. Lines are sold as lines rather than natural dialogue, so it has this ever so slightly campy, hammy edge. This is then reflected in some of the effects. Some are really good, others are knowingly fake, cheap looking.

But this is very nitpicky. It's been an really fun couple of episodes and being a fan of the book (that's an understatement...) it's a great watch with knowing nods to the book that give an extra edge to fans.

So far, really good.

• Like 1

Not really feeling Good Omens tbh, it's not bad, but it's not that good either.

It's good enough to keep me watching, just. Mostly because i'm off from work and got nothing better to do.

I know it's not that kind of comedy, but there hasn't been a single scene that was even remotely amusing.

it looks good and the acting is fine, but nah.

1 episode left and so far it's a 6/10 for me.

I don't think it's very good at all, which is a bit of a shame as it's one of my favourite books. 

As Chindie says, I don't think Pratchett's humour translates to screen very well at all. Most of it is in amusing comments from the narrator's perspective. I think all of the Discworld adaptations have been pretty poor too, and not due to any real failure from the producers.

Edited by Davkaus

Probably behind eveyine as usual, but I've just finished S1 of Animal Kingdom. Not really my kind of show, but I liked it. Looking forward to watching the rest of it.

Also inclined to watch Chernobyl after the reviews on here.

I'm enjoying Good Omens, 3 episodes in now (I'm trying to pace myself with it because, well, I've waited literally years for this). I don't know how much better they could have made it really. If you lose the narrator entirely you lose so much of the essence of the book, even though it's a little jammed in at points. I guess you could have changed things stylistically, the tone being changed etc, but otherwise it's about the best that could be done with it, which so far is pretty good.

The problem with Pratchett's stuff is even more prevalent with his Discworld stuff, if they ever get round to truly adapting them (there's a Watch series being planned but that is meant to be original stuff, and supposedly Mort and Wee Free Men films are being made). Those are about a third concepts, jokes, observations from the narrator, and you'd never be able to truly capture some of the stuff being dealt with. 

The previous adaptations suffered from being too long and having big exposition stuff shoehorned in. Hogfather was reasonably well done but the stuff that it ultimately deals with is very hard to put on film, the Colour of Magic is not something they should have adapted, and Going Postal gets badly mauled into an overly on the nose morality tail smacked into a fairytale, when the actual story is darker and grimier, less panto.

I’m a bit underwhelmed by ‘The Virtues’. 

As good as Stephen Graham is, the story itself isnt really holding my interest. I can’t really explain it very well, the acting is great, dialogue is good, but it’s just a bit boring and doesn’t seem to have much of a point? I get it’s a character drama and as I say, Graham is brilliant, but I’m just not feeling it for some reason. 

Â