Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

43 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

(7/14/21/28/35/42/49/56/) 63 Up continues to fascinate. 

One of the most fascinating series in TV history. 

Obviously this is the point where things will start to change drastically, as is the nature of things. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Chindie said:

One of the most fascinating series in TV history. 

Obviously this is the point where things will start to change drastically, as is the nature of things. 

I'm surprised there's only one dead so far. 

Edited by mjmooney

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I'm surprised there's only one dead so far. 

Spoiler

Indeed. This is my parent's generation, more or less, my mom was born in 51 and dad 53, so just a little older, but they were both dead by 63.

This is also the time I think that people start to become more reflective on the world, when their own horizons are shortened and they can look at the world more objectively, so the questions on the participants lives are more... interesting on the face of things than perhaps their thoughts in their working lives, which perhaps hold more interest when they are taken as part of a whole.

Edited by Chindie

29 minutes ago, Chindie said:
  Hide contents

Indeed. This is my parent's generation, more or less, my mom was born in 51 and dad 53, so just a little older, but they were both dead by 63.

This is also the time I think that people start to become more reflective on the world, when their own horizons are shortened and they can look at the world more objectively, so the questions on the participants lives are more... interesting on the face of things than perhaps their thoughts in their working lives, which perhaps hold more interest when they are taken as part of a whole.

It's MY generation (dang dang, dang dang) - born 1954, my wife in 1957. And you're dead (ahem) right, it is a time for reflection. Apart from the subjects themselves, the series says a lot about changing attitudes to TV documentary making. Was it started as a serious sociological study of Britain's class system? Or was it one of the first examples of voyeuristic 'reality' entertainment? Probably a bit of both. Although several participants said that they found the experience unsettling, only one (the working class London woman who moved to Scotland) had a serious go at the interviewers for blatant gender bias - the boys were invariably asked about career ambitions, the girls about marriage and babies. As she said, somewhat forgivable in 1964, but not by 1978 and 1985. I was touched that the two lads from the rather grim childrens' home had remained mates, and turned out OK. As for Neil, what happened between 14 and 21 to trigger what looked like schizophrenia? Drugs, perhaps? 

EDIT: The inevitable problem with the format is that the longer it goes on the less time they have for previous programmes' clips, so we're getting lives which were filmed in reasonable depth compressed into fifteen minutes or so. They should really make all the previous series available for streaming. I do wonder whether their prime objective is to reinforce stereotypes. Fascinating stuff, all the same.

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

Schitts Creek (Netflix)

Comedy in which a rich family lose all their money and have to move to small town America. 

Looked on the face of it to be pretty rubbish, but I decided to give it a chance to kill a bit of time and ended up watching the entire series.  It's got the dad from American Pie and the mum from Home Alone as two of the main characters.  They're ok in it, but it's the actors who play their (grown up) kids who make it.

Only watched the first episode last night, but Killing Eve certainly appears to be in keeping with the first series - the humour is definitely the same, thankfully. 

Edited by hogso

First episode of The Hot Zone was pretty promising. Love me a good outbreak story.

Although you probably should not watch it while eating breakfast.

Sadly it seems it drops off after 3 ep's if you read the reviews, but we will see.

Second episode of the new Black Mirror was a bit ‘meh’. 

Decent enough, but not a patch on the previous episode and one of the weaker episodes overall imo. 

29 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Second episode of the new Black Mirror was a bit ‘meh’. 

Decent enough, but not a patch on the previous episode and one of the weaker episodes overall imo. 

Yeah was expecting a better ending to that episode. But it all fell a bit flat. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Yeah was expecting a better ending to that episode. But it all fell a bit flat. 

It felt like it was an episode lifted straight out of an ongoing cop show. 

It wasn’t bad per say, but it didn’t feel like Black Mirror. 

8 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

It felt like it was an episode lifted straight out of an ongoing cop show. 

It wasn’t bad per say, but it didn’t feel like Black Mirror. 

Yeah, I thought that the guy was going to ... 

Spoiler

shut down the social media platform or something once he enabled "god mode". Or some kinda twist was going to happen. But nothing did. Was a bit meh.

• Like 1

I'm a bit behind the curve here, but I've watched the first 2 episodes of Chernobyl, and it's bloody brilliant.

There's been a lot of shows I've been so excited for this year. Line of Duty, Game of Thrones, Good Omens. I felt massively let down by all of them. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention, but this seemed to come from nowhere and has utterly blown them out of the water.

The first episode managed the previously unheard of feat of keeping my gf captivated for 90 minutes instead of dicking about on her phone after half an hour then asking what's happening, so it must be good.

Â