Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

16 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I'm not really warming to The Little Drummer Girl. 

Can't wait to start that tonight.

One of my favourite directors plus one of my favourite writers plus one of my favourite actors (Shannon)...

I'll probably hate it now ?

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

Can't wait to start that tonight.

One of my favourite directors plus one of my favourite writers plus one of my favourite actors (Shannon)...

I'll probably hate it now ?

Shannon seems to be trying to channel Donald Sutherland. Dunno what it is, it just seems a bit naff, compared with (say) The Night Manager. And I just don't believe in the main character (Charlie). Also, are we supposed to be rooting for Mossad? 

Finished the first season of Strange Angel.

It's about rocket pioneer and Aleister Crowley follower Jack Parsons and the start of his career in the 1930-1940's.

He's a pretty fascinating guy if you read up on him and the show is OK.

It's a slow burn but not bad at all.

Think it's already scheduled for a second season and considering his real life history it should be fun.

Next up is either Homecoming with Julia Roberts or mini series The Cry

Edited by sne

On 04/11/2018 at 20:56, Troglodyte said:

Hide contents

I'm in a similar boat. Like Stevo, I really wasn't sure after the first season, but came down on the side of him being guilty in some way - it was just that the police did a terrible job and the prosecution's case was flawed in many ways. And Ken Kratz makes my skin crawl.

I find it difficult in some ways that the whole thing is so clearly biased. They obviously only show you what they want you to see and edit things accordingly. It's easy to forget that this is a man who (in days when he was 'young and stupid', but still nineteen years old) covered his family cat in petrol and threw it on a bonfire. Now of course that doesn't make him guilty of further crimes, but it's quite far removed from the almost saintly figure they portray him as at times. I also think that Brendan Dassey was led into many of his answers by the detectives, but at the same time I wonder what made him come up with the stuff about cutting Teresa, tying her up and raping her. They didn't seem to coerce him into giving those details and I'm sure it would have been highlighted in the show if they did. However, the fact that the evidence makes it incredibly difficult to believe that she actually was tied up in the bedroom and/or was wounded there.

I also don't particularly trust Kathleen Zellner. She's very interesting and my gut says that she does actually believe Steven is innocent, but I still don't fully trust her for some reason. Maybe it's just her face and the fact that she's clearly very wealthy, which would be unfair, but I genuinely don't know! And although I can see why she's doing it in legal terms, I have questions about how ethical it is to name other potential suspects in a TV show that's going to be seen by millions of people.

All that said, after season two I don't think he actually did it. But I'm still not totally convinced as there are so many questions.

The Zellner thing is interesting. She was very critical about when Kratz did his press conference and detailed the crime to the press. But surely she is doing the same thing with her Bobby/ Scott theory. Scott especially has been very critical of her online

23 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

The Zellner thing is interesting. She was very critical about when Kratz did his press conference and detailed the crime to the press. But surely she is doing the same thing with her Bobby/ Scott theory. Scott especially has been very critical of her online

whilst being too lazy to watch it all again...

Spoiler

kratz in his pre trial interview talks about brendan's confession*, brendan's confession isnt part of the evidence in the SA trial, so he's telling the world and the jury about things that the defence cant challenge, under the Denny law or whatever its called she can throw things out but those things were included in her documents whatever its called so if it did go to trial then they get the opportunity to defend it

i would also be amazed if she didnt watch the series several times before it was released, probably with her own legal team and the shows legal and the the editors, she gets the luxury to make sure she uses some very purposeful language implying exactly what she wants whilst at the same time making sure the audience bends to her will, kratz 1) doesnt have the intelligence and 2) with it being a live interview doesnt have that luxury

*might not have been the confession but im sure he told the world about some things that werent in the trial so couldnt be defended

Yeah Zellner kind of comes across as a bit creepy, and almost cowboy in a way. But she clearly has a very good record so I imagine there's a lot of calculation behind everything she does.

Not saying she won't use dirty tactics though.

8 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I just don't understand how a 16 year old can get interviewed without an adult or even better a lawyer present.  Is it the same over here?  

To be fair they apparently signed a waiver so they didn't need a lawyer or parent present.

Which is stupid. But for people (Brenden and his mom) who don't know any better who, presumably, thought they had absolutely nothing to do with the murder, you can see why they would.

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

To be fair they apparently signed a waiver so they didn't need a lawyer or parent present.

Which is stupid. But for people (Brenden and his mom) who don't know any better who, presumably, thought they had absolutely nothing to do with the murder, you can see why they would.

Yes it seems wrong that they are even given the choice.  That one decision has ruined Brendan's life as I'm sure a lawyer would have stepped in early on and stopped the interview.  They had no evidence against him and people should have the fundamental right not to incriminate themself but there's no way he'd have known all that.

• Like 1

i've got a couple more episodes of it i think, had a 6 episode session today, its been brilliant, maybe less of an ensemble than previous simon efforts but it still has some brilliantly written characters

part of me wishes he had got hold of vinyl, the setting for that was awesome but the writing just wasnt there

On 04/11/2018 at 17:42, Stevo985 said:

I thought SoA was awful. I probably didn't give it enough time, I only watched about 5 episodes, but **** me they were terrible.

Going from BB to that will be like going from The Shawshank Redemption to Grown Ups.

My missus said the same and after 3 episodes was ready to bin it.

I got her to stick with it and she absolutely loved it.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

My missus said the same and after 3 episodes was ready to bin it.

I got her to stick with it and she absolutely loved it.

Maybe I'd get into it.

But there's just so much other stuff to watch i can't see me ever going back to it.

Late to the party again, but I have started watching The Office.

Funny in parts, but mostly Ricky Gervais' character makes me cringe.

35 minutes ago, AJ said:

Late to the party again, but I have started watching The Office.

Funny in parts, but mostly Ricky Gervais' character makes me cringe.

Cringe comedy at it's absolute best

The Xmas special 2 parter is (IMO) the finest episode of British comedy ever. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

Cringe comedy at it's absolute best

The Xmas special 2 parter is (IMO) the finest episode of British comedy ever. 

I hate cringe comedy, and I hate Gervais. Never seen it (or the U.S. version), probably never will. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

Just finished The Jinx. What a wild old story! 

Reveal hidden contents

I can’t help but feel that he’s been desperate to get caught for a long time and now his life is almost done he felt it was time for some ‘recognition’. Still comes across as a very engaging and quite a likeable guy though! 

Did you catch the end with what he said in the toilet? Bonkers.

23 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I hate cringe comedy, and I hate Gervais. Never seen it (or the U.S. version), probably never will. 

im the same but i did like his presenting of the golden globes and some of his baiting of god botherers on twitter is excellent (as is his caning of trophy hunters)

Edited by villa4europe

Just got through episode 5 of that there Haunting Of Hill House.  Shat me up so much I screamed for about 4 seconds straight at one point.  My wife just sat there all calm and quiet, but then she didn't cry at the end of Grave Of The Fireflies either so she's just a feckin' robot.

Good stuff.

• Like 4

Â