Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

3 hours ago, trekka said:

During the past week I've gorged on Breaking Bad.  I'm now up to series 5 - it's magnificent.

Reveal hidden contents

maxresdefault.jpg

Christ, and I thought I was late to the BB party. 

Yes, it's brilliant, never flags. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Xela said:

I did post it tongue in cheek. 

What was the main argument? I would have thought getting rid of your only Indian character would be a bad thing?

I think it’s a few things. The voice artist, Hank Azaria not being Indian is a factor. Apu’s occupation, voice, catchphrases (“thank you, come again”) are in 2018 looked upon as being racial stereotyping. I think that’s broadly speaking the issue, but I expect there are a few nuances to the argument I’ve not mentioned. 

There’s a film called “The Problem with Apu” and from what I understand it deals with the wider issue of the portrayals of Indians/People from Asia on television. Apu is really just emblematic of it.

It’s a tricky one and there’s an interesting discussion to be had on it. I will say that for me, Hank Azaria is coming across well in it all, he seems genuinely decent and concerned that people are offended by it.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, trekka said:

During the past week I've gorged on Breaking Bad.  I'm now up to series 5 - it's magnificent.

Reveal hidden contents

maxresdefault.jpg

It’s probably my all time favourite.

Just starting Season 5? Oh man, the storm that’s heading your way....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Xela said:

What was the main argument? I would have thought getting rid of your only Indian character would be a bad thing?

He’s a massive stereotype. 

Hes an illegal immigrant. He works at a Kwiki Mart. He has loads of kids. He has a comical Indian accent, played by a white man. 

None of it is malicious, and the character is almost 30 years old. But you can see why people think he’s a bit out of touch. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I will say that for me, Hank Azaria is coming across well in it all, he seems genuinely decent and concerned that people are offended by it.

Hank Azaria is absolutely brilliant in The Birdcage along with Robin Williams. Great play/movie.

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Big Mouth, an animation on Netflix about kids going through puberty is so funny

Need to watch the 2nd series which from what ive heard is a bit more concise and better written, the 1st series was good but at times its a 3 jokes a second scattergun that doesnt always work

That charles bradley intro though, love that song

18 hours ago, Xela said:

Others have already said it, but the basic gist is that you would never commission a new show in 2018 with a white actor speaking in a 'goodness gracious me' accent.

'The Simpsons' is a product of a different era, when people were less bothered, or maybe less aware, of that stuff. The issue is what do you do about it: do they a], try to ignore it and just carry on as before, b] replace the actor for an Indian or a person with Indian ancestry, c] rewrite the character so it's less offensive, or d] something else? The real issue that's being ignored is that 'The Simpsons' has been on air for so long that it's rapidly losing cultural relevance. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

In fairness, Apu has been an American citizen since 1996 when Mayor Quimby brought in Proposition 24 after his highly controversial bear tax. 

Haha yeah fair enough. 

But certainly the implication before that was that he was in the US illegally. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Need to watch the 2nd series which from what ive heard is a bit more concise and better written, the 1st series was good but at times its a 3 jokes a second scattergun that doesnt always work

That charles bradley intro though, love that song

I’m half way through second series, it does seem more refined.

As with most adult animations there is always a bit where they take it too far. But in the main it’s good.

Wait until you see the shame wizard, it’s done very well.

I was also disappointed with the Bake Off winner:

Spoiler

He seems like a likeable guy and was probably the best baker overall, but his face really annoyed me. Was also unimpressed by the quality in the final overall.

And those of you watching Breaking Bad for the first time, I'm jealous. I rarely read or watch anything more than once, but I've watched BB through twice and intend to do so again at some point in the not too distant future. Better Call Saul is excellent too (and getting better and better with each season) but I doubt I'll watch anything as good as the original show for a long, long time.

Also on the back of recent talk on Making a Murderer, has anyone seen The Jinx? Heard a couple of good things about it and wondering if it's worth buying - the only place I can see it is on Amazon.

Edited by Troglodyte

10 minutes ago, Troglodyte said:

I was also disappointed with the Bake Off winner:

Reveal hidden contents

He seems like a likeable guy and was probably the best baker overall, but his face really annoyed me. Was also unimpressed by the quality in the final overall.

And those of you watching Breaking Bad for the first time, I'm jealous. I rarely read or watch anything more than once, but I've watched BB through twice and intend to do so again at some point in the not too distant future. Better Call Saul is excellent too (and getting better and better with each season) but I doubt I'll watch anything as good as the original show for a long, long time.

Also on the back of recent talk on Making a Murderer, has anyone seen The Jinx? Heard a couple of good things about it and wondering if it's worth buying - the only place I can see it is on Amazon.

Yes, absolutely. I sort of group it together with The Staircase. Well put together and leaves you wondering who's really telling the truth.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Not seen Breaking Bad. 

I'm saving it up for Christmas when I can blitz through it. 

Seen it all twice over. You'll be addicted, excuse the pun. 

Also, sons of anarchy was brill and you don't need to be a biker to enjoy it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Seen it all twice over. You'll be addicted, excuse the pun. 

Also, sons of anarchy was brill and you don't need to be a biker to enjoy it. 

A few at work have recommended SoA as well. I'll look into that after BB. 

Â