Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

2 minutes ago, AJ said:

What is this I'm Alan Partridge you speak of? I have seen it mentioned a couple of times, but before I never even heard of it? Is it really good?

Each to there own mate, but I think it's very good.  It ran for 2 series, six episodes in each.  'Knowing me, knowing you' was shown prior to I'm Alan Partridge, which again was very good and maybe a good place to start. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AJ said:

What is this I'm Alan Partridge you speak of? I have seen it mentioned a couple of times, but before I never even heard of it? Is it really good?

It was a series that followed a failed local radio and TV host played by Steve Coogan. It's one of those shows that spawned dozens of 'moments' people remember to this day. It probably doesn't work if you don't 'get' the type of person its poking fun at which is also a well known British trope.

Alan Partridge had been going for years as a character, started on radio, then was a character in a TV series, then got his own, and since then it's been books and a movie.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Nicho said:

I thought it was terrible

Agreed saw 6 episodes and thought it was far too slow and I had no affinity towards the characters.

Ending up having an argument with a mate over it, who later went on to say I was too thick to appreciate it (even though I earn more and am more qualified than him...)

19 minutes ago, AJ said:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-1289-1364895187-2.g

As others have said, Partridge has bee around donkeys years. Worth trying the I'm Alan Partridge series (12 eps) then Mid Morning Matters. Also a couple of cracking audiobooks as well.

I'm not a massive fan of the faux chat show (Knowing Me, Knowing You) that preceded the above 

• Like 2

Re. Partridge, don't forget the absolutely fantastic work of genius that is The Day Today which is where it all started. Or if you want to be pedantic, get On the Hour  (the original radio show that spawned The Day Today). I've still got On the Hour on bbc cassette from when I was introduced to it around 92.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Agreed saw 6 episodes and thought it was far too slow and I had no affinity towards the characters.

Ending up having an argument with a mate over it, who later went on to say I was too thick to appreciate it (even though I earn more and am more qualified than him...)

Doesn't always mean more intelligent :)

I know it's lowest common denominator stuff but I always like the SAS Are You Tough Enough style shows. This series on Channel 4 is just on the final episode, and it's been a bloody good series. The resistance to interrogation episode is always great - they seem to have decided to give them less guidance this time - they don't know what they can and can't say for instance.

• Like 1

Ironically my first experience of Alan Partridge was watching the film Alpha Papa, I thought it was fantastic and that was without any of the backstory to go with it. Ended up working my way backwards and caught up on all the old stuff as well, all brilliant.

• Like 1

Watched Tutankhamen in catch-up ... few too many liberties with the truth for my liking but still decent enough ....man I want to go back to the valley of the kings 

if id studied better at school and wasn't so thick I'd loved to have been an Archeologist even if 90% of it is probably dull and repetitive , still think there is one more big find in egypt to be had , maybe I'll take a trowel with me next time I go :)  

11 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Re. Partridge, don't forget the absolutely fantastic work of genius that is The Day Today which is where it all started. Or if you want to be pedantic, get On the Hour  (the original radio show that spawned The Day Today). I've still got On the Hour on bbc cassette from when I was introduced to it around 92.

Image result for eat my goal

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Chindie said:

I know it's lowest common denominator stuff but I always like the SAS Are You Tough Enough style shows. This series on Channel 4 is just on the final episode, and it's been a bloody good series. The resistance to interrogation episode is always great - they seem to have decided to give them less guidance this time - they don't know what they can and can't say for instance.

Yeah this series has been great .

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Watched Tutankhamen in catch-up ... few too many liberties with the truth for my liking but still decent enough ....man I want to go back to the valley of the kings 

if id studied better at school and wasn't so thick I'd loved to have been an Archeologist even if 90% of it is probably dull and repetitive , still think there is one more big find in egypt to be had , maybe I'll take a trowel with me next time I go :)  

These days it's more about studying satelight images...

11 hours ago, Chindie said:

Yeah it's been good viewing.

Surely they would do their research and not think they could get away with lies even without guidance though? 

The chap he made it was really impressive I thought.

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

These days it's more about studying satelight images...

yeah watched a few shows where they reckon they have found tombs in Sudan and what not ... few of them were false reads but equally on the China program they were able to find a road from Xian almost out towards Afghanistan , which is supporting the theory that Greek artists helped sculpt the terracotta army

Â