Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

6 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I echo what Sne said above about 'The Strain' The 1st season is pretty enjoyable then it goes downhill.

David Bradley is in it and he's a huge Villa fan. So much so that he often placed Villa items/clothing in the background of the show! Makes it fun to look out for.

Yeah, I read the books before the series came out and how they managed to mess it up despite Del Toro and Hogan being the ones who wrote the books are the ones making the tv series is the biggest mystery about the show.

48 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah, I read the books before the series came out and how they managed to mess it up despite Del Toro and Hogan being the ones who wrote the books are the ones making the tv series is the biggest mystery about the show.

TV execs getting involved especially at more traditional networks (compared to Netflix, Amazon, HBO). Most US TV shows that start off with a great premise are messed with in order to make the show last longer/be more palatable to a wider audience. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, coda said:

Is Charlie Brooker's Dead Set worth watching? (Finished Black Mirror and I'm now bereft)

I watched that a few years ago but it's a pretty nice spin on the zombie apocalypse.

For those familiar with the "Big Brother" concept it makes more sense I think.

Only 5 eps so it's not a big commitment, give it a go.

I thought it was rather good,nothing really special, but well worth the watch if you like this type of concept.  

3 minutes ago, sne said:

I watched that a few years ago but it's a pretty nice spin on the zombie apocalypse.

For those familiar with the "Big Brother" concept it makes more sense I think.

Only 5 eps so it's not a big commitment, give it a go.

I thought it was rather good,nothing really special, but well worth the watch if you like this type of concept.  

Cheers, just found it on 4OD so I don't have to, er, buy it from somewhere.

• Like 1

Impressed with episode 4 of the crown

Spoiler

I've never heard of the smog crisis before

Felt like the episode put its cock on the block 

Spoiler

With the suggestion that she was going to ask Churchill to step down, I'd never heard of that one before either

Watching planet earth 2

having been to Komodo I'm both relieved and disappointed that I didn't get to see them fighting like they were on the show, one of them took a bite out of a human a few weeks before I was there , I think he survived but he had an agonising time and lost his leg as a result 

shame they didn't show any babies , not a lot of people know that they spend their early years living in trees so they don't get eaten by the larger dragons , 

fascinating place if you ever get out that way 

• Like 1

Way back, I was hooked on the Sopranos. The characters, the writing, the scenes, it was immaculate. You don't have to be "into" mafia / gangster type stuff to appreciate it, it was brilliant, brilliant and accessible. Have seen I through, start to finish, three times. That's a lotta episodes but I maintain it is superb tv. I thought it would be a while before I found something on a par. 

Unlike with the Sopranos, which I was with from the beginning, the entirety of Boarwalk Empire passed me by, partly because I didn't have sky at the time too. So, since last month I have been catching up, watching this superb series through from the beginning having never seen any of it before. Any fans of Sopranos will recognise the style, the writing, the writers, even some, not many, but some of the actors. Yes, it has many similarities with The Sopranos but it's no copy. 

The point of this post is to recommend Boardwalk Empire as "your next box set". Tonight, I have just got to final episode of season 4 (of5) and Jesus Christ, this program... In case you can't tell, I'm hooked and loving it, don't want it to end! Sure it can be gritty, dark and violent almost like a Sopranos in the twenties but I don't recommend stuff often, but if there's anyone on here that let it slip under their radar like I did, take my tip. Not sure your other halves would like it as much though...

No series has hit me like this with an addiction to stick en episode on every chance I get since Breaking Bad or Utopia. Boardwalk Empire.... I'm gonna miss this when I run out of episodes!

edit.. Ps...next up, Deadwood....

Edited by Midfielder
iPad spasms
  • Like 2

This is probably only really relevant for us Swedes as it is a Swedish show in Swedish about Swedish history :) and a lot of it will sadly be lost in translation through subtitles.

But anyhow...

The 3rd season of the brilliant Historieätarna (History Eaters) airs on Monday the 14th.

Not sure how to describe it but it's basically an educational program where the 2 presenters dress up and live as people from a certain era or decade. The focus being on food (and drink, lots of it).

Really is a lot of fun and well worth a try if you can find it.

20 hours ago, Midfielder said:

Way back, I was hooked on the Sopranos. The characters, the writing, the scenes, it was immaculate. You don't have to be "into" mafia / gangster type stuff to appreciate it, it was brilliant, brilliant and accessible. Have seen I through, start to finish, three times. That's a lotta episodes but I maintain it is superb tv. I thought it would be a while before I found something on a par. 

Unlike with the Sopranos, which I was with from the beginning, the entirety of Boarwalk Empire passed me by, partly because I didn't have sky at the time too. So, since last month I have been catching up, watching this superb series through from the beginning having never seen any of it before. Any fans of Sopranos will recognise the style, the writing, the writers, even some, not many, but some of the actors. Yes, it has many similarities with The Sopranos but it's no copy. 

The point of this post is to recommend Boardwalk Empire as "your next box set". Tonight, I have just got to final episode of season 4 (of5) and Jesus Christ, this program... In case you can't tell, I'm hooked and loving it, don't want it to end! Sure it can be gritty, dark and violent almost like a Sopranos in the twenties but I don't recommend stuff often, but if there's anyone on here that let it slip under their radar like I did, take my tip. Not sure your other halves would like it as much though...

No series has hit me like this with an addiction to stick en episode on every chance I get since Breaking Bad or Utopia. Boardwalk Empire.... I'm gonna miss this when I run out of episodes!

edit.. Ps...next up, Deadwood....

Fully agree. Boardwalk would have topped The Wire for me, if the last season wasn't so rushed. It's a travesty that they only gave them eight episodes to wrap it up. 

• Like 1

Â