Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

The attention to detail gave it the extra bit of wow on top of most things I thing. Massive project and budget by Netflix. It's great that they have the inclination to do these things.

Watched the opening few episodes of the Crown.

It's very well made and everything, but a review in Private Eye was bang on in its criticism even from those few episodes.

It, albeit understandably, heavily pushes the idea that the royals are of any consequence at all - the frankly ridiculous scene of Elizabeth being taught by her father his approach to dealing with political correspondence at Christmas underlining that, along with the barking mad suggestion that Eden would go to lobby the king to bin Churchill. And it also does the 'print the legend' tradition no favours - already figures that are popular get an easier ride than those that aren't - Eden is already being portrayed as a slimy and smug character few lauded figures liked, despite the consensus that while it's premiership was a disaster prior to that he was a decent politician who was well liked, whereas Churchill, who post war was not the great man he would be remembered for being, is given a very easy ride.

It's soap opera history designed to play to the royals luvvies.

But the casts pretty good (I do wonder of Foy might end up being rather dull - the Queen is far more interesting in her personal life than as a monarch, but the glamour of the Crown is what this show wants, which will mean the episodes should increasingly become Elizabeth doing er... Nothing) and it's brilliantly shot. I hope they can double down on how much it a walking embarrassment Philip is.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Just caught an episode of Prank Pad, what a bizarre programme. Plus that Scottish lass is so annoying 

Oh mate it's wierd but bloody brilliant. So funny keep onto it. Some of the pranks are hilarious. 

33 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Watched the opening few episodes of the Crown.

It's very well made and everything, but a review in Private Eye was bang on in its criticism even from those few episodes.

It, albeit understandably, heavily pushes the idea that the royals are of any consequence at all - the frankly ridiculous scene of Elizabeth being taught by her father his approach to dealing with political correspondence at Christmas underlining that, along with the barking mad suggestion that Eden would go to lobby the king to bin Churchill. And it also does the 'print the legend' tradition no favours - already figures that are popular get an easier ride than those that aren't - Eden is already being portrayed as a slimy and smug character few lauded figures liked, despite the consensus that while it's premiership was a disaster prior to that he was a decent politician who was well liked, whereas Churchill, who post war was not the great man he would be remembered for being, is given a very easy ride.

It's soap opera history designed to play to the royals luvvies.

But the casts pretty good (I do wonder of Foy might end up being rather dull - the Queen is far more interesting in her personal life than as a monarch, but the glamour of the Crown is what this show wants, which will mean the episodes should increasingly become Elizabeth doing er... Nothing) and it's brilliantly shot. I hope they can double down on how much it a walking embarrassment Philip is.

I think you need to reappraise after the whole series. Some of the criticisms are fair but Churchill definitely isn't given an easy ride. Foy and the Queen character get more interesting as it goes on and a lot is about her difficulty with her marriage and how unprepared she was to be a modern queen.

Philip is portrayed seemingly by how his grandkids describe him - a legend. I.e. a bit of a lad, but not pretentious or indoctrinated. He may be a walking embarrassment in later life but it's not how he's portrayed here.

I couldn't care less about the royal family but this is great drama. I don't care if it's glorifying the opulence or the royals, I just like the show as it's a bit like a more lavish Downton.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Designer1 said:

There really is no comparison. In terms of overall quality The Wire makes SoA look like Eastenders. 

Well that's me told. I will say this though Designer... I'm keen not to criticise Sons, but I do find one thing annoying in it. Terra, the doctor love interest for Jax, is the only employee in the entire hospital and has complete autonomy to just treat anything from a cut cheek that requires a lengthy chat, to paediatric speciality care. She really is the most versatile, omnipresent clinician in the history of tv. 

Your unintended reference to eastenders has resonance. In the way the characters are on hand always in their line of work, Jax goes to chat with the cop, oh, he's just randomly stood by the station etc. Not in the station, just wandering about outside. There's a lot of that in Sons, "that" being convenience. Ok it fits the plot etc. I haven't seen it so obvious in other series though. I am on season 2 episode 7 already. Enjoying it though but this is dangerous, as since this has begun, I won't, but something in my head is telling me I need a motorbike. 

Ok right so I've got the wire accessible on my thing, I see its HBO, that's a good start already. I'm used to that seal of approval from the sopranos and boardwalk empire. Ok the wire episode one here goes

Jealous of anyone who hasn't watched The Wire yet. What a treat to watch that for the first time with fresh eyes. Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, what a show!

Just watched the first two episodes of Stranger Things. Good stuff so far.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Jealous of anyone who hasn't watched The Wire yet. What a treat to watch that for the first time with fresh eyes. Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, what a show!

Just watched the first two episodes of Stranger Things. Good stuff so far.  

What is the wire about?

Is it as good as Breaking Bad, Narcos, Better Call Saul?

Those who love The Wire (most of us) should look up the show "Southland"

It's about the LAPD and ran for 5 seasons.

It's not as good as The Wire, but it's still really good.

Edited by sne

Better imo

its a master class in writing and character arcs, it's a proper ensemble cast, you could argue over the course of the 5 seasons there are several of them that take the role of main character, or that really there isn't one...it's then also edited together brilliantly so unlike say GoT where the pacing is questionable and it jumps around the wire nails it

its a slow burner and some of the street language can be daunting but theres been little else as immersive as it

• Like 2

Just now, darrenm said:

What is the wire about?

Is it as good as Breaking Bad, Narcos, Better Call Saul?

Wow, where to start? In essence, it's about about a wire tap, set up to capture information about a gang involved in drug related crime, but it's so much more than that. It's not your usual cops and robbers show, you see both sides of the story. You care as much about the drug dealers, as you do the police, and that's just the first series. All five series deal with a different aspect of life in Baltimore. You've got drug dealing, human trafficking, the school system, the media, and politics. Seriously, if you've never seen it before, make it the next on your list of things to watch. 

I've only seen Breaking Bad out of those listed, but I put it above BB, and I loved that show.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, darrenm said:

What is the wire about?

It's about this...

No matter which walk of life you occupy, no matter where you are on your personal ladder, no matter how far you climb, someone will always be shitting on you from above and no matter how hard you try, ultimately things will stay the same.

• Like 4

Â