Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

2 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Here's one then. Fawlty Towers, I don't think it's even slightly funny. I genuinely find it a bit odd that it's considered to be one of the greatest sitcoms.

Absolutely agree. I thought I was the only person in the world who thought that. Now I know there's two of us. Same with "the Office", it does absolutely nothing for me at all. Not remotely funny.

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

obviously didnt get it ;) 

tbf i think breaking bad is shite, ive watched the first series 3 times now, made it as far as half way through the 2nd series once

Yeah I gave up half way through series (season) 2 I think, or it might have been 3. I didn't think it was terrible, just pretty ordinary. Admittedly i was watching on a laptop screen, not a TV, but meh!.

23 minutes ago, blandy said:

Absolutely agree. I thought I was the only person in the world who thought that. Now I know there's two of us. Same with "the Office", it does absolutely nothing for me at all. Not remotely funny.

Ooooh Paddy'll be sad to hear your (wrong) thoughts on The Office.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, blandy said:

Agreed with the office. And Ricky gervais in general to be honest. I quite dislike him.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Agreed with the office. And Ricky gervais in general to be honest. I quite dislike him.

Kinda agree.

Although the first season of An Idiot Abroad was brilliant. (Wasn't really down to Gervais, but still)

6 hours ago, sne said:

If we're on to confessions I can reveal that I never enjoyed Seinfeld.

I just don't get the appeal. Never laughed at a single episode, and I've seen them all multiple times because they're always on at some channel. 

At best some episodes are mildly entertaining. 

15394169.gif

5 hours ago, darrenm said:

That's all fair enough but no-one could possibly dislike It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Rick & Morty?

Always Sunny is ok (haven't really got 'into it') but refer Parks and Rec and Brooklyn 99

3 hours ago, blandy said:

24cbjom.jpg

The Offfice Xmas special, was, IMO, the greatest episode of UK comedy of all time. Absolutely perfect TV. Not only funny but very poignant. 

Gervais went out at the very top on that show. 

Edited by Xela

18 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

I think I'm definitely going to start the wire this week, I can't avoid it any longer.

I've blitzed the whole of season one in the laziest of Mondays.Yeah highly recommended. There's been much about it on here but one thing I would say is it's quite direct. No fancy flashbacks or complex stuff, just straight clever writing. I have about half hour left of episode thirteen, which I notice is directed by Tim Van Patten who was behind many of the most memorable and big-story episodes of Boardwalk Empire and The Sopranos. 

I had only heard about it, and that it was excellent. 2002 this started .... 

Ive probably let many grid series slip under my radar, which is good news for me. Nice to discover something and get into it. Also, nice to get in something that you have entire access to, no waiting til next week for next episode, just play through at leisure.

cheers all for recommendations re: The Wire. Big thumbs up 

Edited by Midfielder
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Xela said:

24cbjom.jpg

The Offfice Xmas special, was, IMO, the greatest episode of UK comedy of all time. Absolutely perfect TV. Not only funny but very poignant. 

Gervais went out at the very top on that show. 

For me, Peep Show wins best British comedy. Might be on my own voting that, but that program had me in stitches. That's the beauty of comedy, different strokes for different folks

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

For me, Peep Show wins best British comedy. Might be on my own voting that, but that program had me in stitches. That's the beauty of comedy, different strokes for different folks

I love Peep Show.

It would be number 3 for me in British comedy. Office at number 1 and I'm Alan Partridge at 2. 

I have always had a thing for British comedies. From The Goodies when I was a kid, to Black Adder, to Russell Howard.

Britishians are funny. :D

38 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

I've blitzed the whole of season one in the laziest of Mondays.Yeah highly recommended. There's been much about it on here but one thing I would say is it's quite direct. No fancy flashbacks or complex stuff, just straight clever writing. I have about half hour left of episode thirteen, which I notice is directed by Tim Van Patten who was behind many of the most memorable and big-story episodes of Boardwalk Empire and The Sopranos. 

Interested to hear what you think of season 2. Its the 'marmite' season of The Wire

The thing is with British comedy is that we all love a loser/someone down on there luck.  From Hancock, Steptoe, Del Boy, Fletcher, Blackadder, Alan Partridge, David Brent, to name a few.  American comedy has in main looked at comedy from someone being successful etc.  I love British comedy and one that rarely gets a mention is 'Early Doors'.  If some on here have never seen it, then please give it a go.  Very underrated in my opinion.  Top 3 for me in no order:  Only Fools, Blackadder, I'm Alan Partridge, but with a special soft spot for Steptoe and Porridge. 

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

Interested to hear what you think of season 2. Its the 'marmite' season of The Wire

I've done nothing all day.... It's over. Yeah I liked it. What will be interesting is how season 2 actually starts because the team are disbanded after their detail finishes. Omar coming back is welcome, this guy plays Chalkie White in Boardwalk Empire and is a really good actor. I'll be keen to see where and how his character goes in this, and Elba's too.

I'll let you know. Now, to start the day. Got box set addiction issues and might have to put Sons of Anarchy on, left it at a key point.  

54 minutes ago, AJ said:

I have always had a thing for British comedies. From The Goodies when I was a kid, to Black Adder, to Russell Howard.

Britishians are funny. :D

That's why i got so hooked on english football, the humor on the terraces.

Nothing makes me laugh like a funny british football song.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

The thing is with British comedy is that we all love a loser/someone down on there luck.  From Hancock, Steptoe, Del Boy, Fletcher, Blackadder, Alan Partridge, David Brent, to name a few.  American comedy has in main looked at comedy from someone being successful etc.  I love British comedy and one that rarely gets a mention is 'Early Doors'.  If some on here have never seen it, then please give it a go.  Very underrated in my opinion.  Top 3 for me in no order:  Only Fools, Blackadder, I'm Alan Partridge, but with a special soft spot for Steptoe and Porridge. 

What is this I'm Alan Partridge you speak of? I have seen it mentioned a couple of times, but before I never even heard of it? Is it really good?

Â