Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

I've recently watched the first 3 episodes of The Wire. Finding it hard work to be honest.

Pretty much anyone who's ever watched The Wire has said this.

Don't worry, and stick with it. It's worth it.

I think I am going to start watching Smallville the first episode was quite decent

I know I am probably about 8 years too late but meh

I noticed there is like 10 seasons with 20 odd episodes in each if i start now i should be finished before i pop my clogs

My niece was at MC Expo today and got to meet Jeor Mormont from GOT (James Cosmo)

Said he was a really lovely guy. She also met some of the cast of Walking Dead but apparently they weren't allowed to pose for photos :(

stefmormont.jpg

Derren Brown's latest thing, a two parter where he supposedly convinced some bloke that he was a survivor of a apocalyptic catastrophe, had it's first part the other night. Haven't watched it, yet, but apparently it's been rumbled that the main bloke in it is a stooge, surprise surprise.

I'm not sure why Derren Brown keeps doing these daft TV things - the one where he programmed a bloke to be the hero when a plane was about to crash who would step up to fly the thing was painfully obviously a complete sham that didn't at any point suspend your disbelief, and it looks like this is a further descent into shitness. Looks like, as far as his TV stuff has gone, he's well and truly jumped the shark.

If he thought it was the end of the world, he could have done some really questionable things, if you know what I mean.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that..

I watched episode one. Found it a bit tedious. I prefer The Walking Dead even though I've only seen a couple of episodes.

When it comes to far fetched storylines then Entertainment > Reality.

Derren Brown's Night of Wonders and even his more recent Svengali one was absolutely superb, but I don't think these big TV 'psychological studies' are his thing. Also - it's always going to be faked, even if Derren didn't intend or even need it to be.. TV programmes cost too much to make. There's no way he'd get something that big and expensive commissioned without a guaranteed result. Even if Derren is in completely control of the situation, he can't predict that the guy wouldn't go through all that and then not allow it to be broadcast, especially if his lawyer gets involved and smells money. Or he could work out that it's fake, only takes on actor to **** up or something. Then they'd have gone through all that and not even had a broadcastable TV show. Nah, no TV executive would allow that, it was always going to be faked and there's nothing Derren could do to prevent that being the case.

Ok so as a few of you might have read in the running thread I recently fractured my hip so I'm pretty much housebound for the next 6 weeks. Am looking to buy a big box set to keep me going, something with several series and really hooks you in. Already have The Wire, The Shield and Battlestar Galatica so any suggestions are welcome, preferably something where you can buy the whole lot in one bundle so I can get stuck in. Cheers.

Derren Brown's latest thing, a two parter where he supposedly convinced some bloke that he was a survivor of a apocalyptic catastrophe, had it's first part the other night. Haven't watched it, yet, but apparently it's been rumbled that the main bloke in it is a stooge, surprise surprise.

Can't see this anywhere

I'm also in the camp that thought he'd gotten pretty shit lately but I watched it and really enjoyed it.

If the main guy in it is a fake then obviously that ruins the whole thing. But I watched it with a mate and we both agreed that it seemed real. There were a few moments where his reactions were hilarious because he genuinely looked absolutely terrified (as you would be).

I have questioned the whole thing, it's a pretty audacious thing to do to someone. And as AVFCforever said, he could have reacted terribly. First time he saw the girl in the hospital must have been terrifying and I'm surprised he didn't bludgeon her to death!

So I'm not sure. If he has been rumbled as a fake then I'm disappointed. If not, then it's really good TV, so far.

No idea if The Mindy Project (which Fox is scheduling after New Girl, in an apparent bid for a quirky female-led sitcom block) is any good, but I think Voinjama will like it...

(...and as far as I know, there's no shitting depicted in the show)

Where have you seen that it's fake?

I thought it was pretty real, I really enjoyed it as I do all of his work, the main guy did genuinely look completely freaked out. Maybe i'm just naive....

I have questioned the whole thing, it's a pretty audacious thing to do to someone. And as AVFCforever said, he could have reacted terribly. First time he saw the girl in the hospital must have been terrifying and I'm surprised he didn't bludgeon her to death!

I guess when they chose him they would have found out what type of person he is through tests etc... to see if he would react aggressively. Obviously it wouldnt be an exact science but i'd guess you could get a pretty good idea.

I watched episode one. Found it a bit tedious. I prefer The Walking Dead even though I've only seen a couple of episodes.

Not really sure why you're comparing the two, they're completely different entities? The only common ground is that they both have "infected" actors in them

http://www.grumpymiddleagedman.co.uk/

Looks like it is fake.

A bit late as usual, *I guess, but has anyone seen Homeland? I remember I saw a trailer of the first season a year ago or so and thought it looked good but forgot about it, but yesterday I saw a trailer for the 2nd season and was reminded. Is it any good? It's shown on what I guess is "our BBC" and they usually show good TV shows unlike the commercial stations who are very much hit and miss with their shows.

Link

The main bloke in the show is an actor, it appears. His profile on a casting site since it was discovered has changed a few times trying to obscure things (the name changed, physical description changed), and Channel 4 has subsequently tried to do so themselves by saying he's not 'a professional actor', which isn't really the point - the guy might not pay the bills being an actor but he has a casting site profile for a reason, presumably. He's also been linked with a BBC production with Adam Buxton IIRC.

There are also a number of legal problems with doing a show like this that would prevent it being made - you're basically not allowed to hypnotise someone and place them in a situation where they would feel endangered or distressed for entertainment purposes, and the point has been raised that, were it real, were you to convince someone there had been an apocalyptic event, would you want to be an actor playing a zombie around this person? You couldn't possibly know if he would try to smash your brain in with the nearest object.

Derren's TV stuff has become increasingly 'out there' and unbelievable, it seems that this one might be the one that rumbles the lot. His live shows are a different matter - he's basically doing magic tricks (incredibly well) that in many cases are fairly fool proof, not requiring stooges. The TV stuff he's done in recent years... not so much.

A bit late as usual, *I guess, but has anyone seen Homeland? I remember I saw a trailer of the first season a year ago or so and thought it looked good but forgot about it, but yesterday I saw a trailer for the 2nd season and was reminded. Is it any good? It's shown on what I guess is "our BBC" and they usually show good TV shows unlike the commercial stations who are very much hit and miss with their shows.

It's great. Watch it.

Link

The main bloke in the show is an actor, it appears. His profile on a casting site since it was discovered has changed a few times trying to obscure things (the name changed, physical description changed), and Channel 4 has subsequently tried to do so themselves by saying he's not 'a professional actor', which isn't really the point - the guy might not pay the bills being an actor but he has a casting site profile for a reason, presumably. He's also been linked with a BBC production with Adam Buxton IIRC.

There are also a number of legal problems with doing a show like this that would prevent it being made - you're basically not allowed to hypnotise someone and place them in a situation where they would feel endangered or distressed for entertainment purposes, and the point has been raised that, were it real, were you to convince someone there had been an apocalyptic event, would you want to be an actor playing a zombie around this person? You couldn't possibly know if he would try to smash your brain in with the nearest object.

Derren's TV stuff has become increasingly 'out there' and unbelievable, it seems that this one might be the one that rumbles the lot. His live shows are a different matter - he's basically doing magic tricks (incredibly well) that in many cases are fairly fool proof, not requiring stooges. The TV stuff he's done in recent years... not so much.

Yeah looks like you have a point. Tis a shame as I was really enjoying it. Thanks for ruining it for me :P:D

Â