Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

after watching repeats of ncis and community too often I decided to start watching Dexter. Loving it so far!

Dexter is fab all the way through. After each season you think there's nothing else they can do with the storyline and you're wrong again and again.

On Season 5 at the moment. Completely agree, each season trumps the last.

Breaking Bad

Weeds

Dexter

All brilliant in their own special way

Another wonderful documentary this past few days - "Land of the Lost Wolves" about the return of the Coastal Wolves to the Mountainous

regions of the Western USA.

Available on iplayer now.

I think The Wire has ruined police dramas for me. Started watching The Shield which I have heard good things about. In terms of quality I'd say it's closer to The Bill than The Wire.

I'm not too sure on GOT this season, i'm getting really confused with wtf is going on and who is who... i mean, who is the Red Head who's suddenly appeared this series? I've kinda forgot what happened in the first series so it's all a bit much to take in.

i still love it but last night it felt like it is on the brink of expanding too far, iirc king rob wasnt even in it last night, i might be wrong here but you have -

kingslanding with joffrey his mum and the imp story, the annoying bald bloke and whats his name fingers

the north with rob/jamie and the war, the dad hasnt been in S2 at all yet

iron islands

the blonde un in the desert

the rightful king, his right hand man and the religious woman

the wall

the stark daughter on the run

theres a lot going on

I've decided I can't be doing with waiting for the blu-rays this time round with Game of Thrones, so have watched the 2 eps of the new series today.

It's a slightly different show now, more confident and more grand in scale (and scope), which I like, but I have to agree that it's teetering on the edge of having too much going on. You've got all the characters from the first series spreading out into entirely their own plot lines, and still introducing more twists and turns and characters, it's growing a littlw unwieldy. I can still follow it all, but I think they've got to be wary of making the thing collapse under it's own weight.

But in the 2 eps so far, it's been bloody good. It's kind of... skipped over some things though - the red head with Stannis, has had pretty much no explanation whatsoever, beyond the fact she's clearly a foreigner (with a wonderful journeyman accent, one minute she's Irish the next she's Dutch by way of Arabia), she's manipulative and has all the trademark nods that the audience shouldn't trust her as far as they could throw her. I actually had to look up what the hell was going in the scene they introduce her in - I was following it but didn't 'get' the significance or purpose on first viewing, and I could see an awful lot of people missing the lot entirely.

(with a wonderful journeyman accent, one minute she's Irish the next she's Dutch by way of Arabia), .

She is Dutch. She's from the same town as my mate's Dutch girlfriend (as I'm told every 5 mins, when she's out with him!!).

I'm going to wait until the series is finished and get them all on Bluray (I have the first series) as I loathe watching series weekly.

I'm actually on the last of the (published) books now and to be honest i'm really annoyed that Martin takes sooooo long to write them, as i'm desperate to see how the story pans out. Such wonderful characters and a depth of story and detail that's seldom seen in the fantasy genre. Compelling reads indeed.

I think The Wire has ruined police dramas for me. Started watching The Shield which I have heard good things about. In terms of quality I'd say it's closer to The Bill than The Wire.

The Shield is very very different to The Wire and if you started it thinking it would be similar then you will have been disappointed...

IMO it is very different but equally as brilliant...

series 5 of The Shield with Forrest Whittaker is probably the best single series of a TV show i have ever seen

Stick with it!

The Shield is very very different to The Wire and if you started it thinking it would be similar then you will have been disappointed...

IMO it is very different but equally as brilliant...

series 5 of The Shield with Forrest Whittaker is probably the best single series of a TV show i have ever seen

Stick with it!

I like Idi Amin but series 5 is a long wait. The characters seem a little crudely drawn and it doesn't help that Mackey reminds me of Grant Mitchell. I shall watch the first series and then decide if it joins Entourage in the never to be watched pile.

The Shield **** kills.

Its like the Wire condenced down without all the boring pointless shit.

New Game Of Thrones is already exceeding my high expectaions too.

And the latest episode of Community has got it back on track for me.

David Simon on the fans The Wire has accumulated after it finished

I do have a certain amused contempt for the number of people who walk sideways into the thing and act like they were there all along. It’s selling more DVDs now than when it was on the air. But I’m indifferent to who thinks Omar is really cool now, or that this is the best scene or this is the best season. It was conceived of as a whole, and we did it as a whole. For people to be picking it apart now like it’s a deck of cards or like they were there the whole time or they understood it the whole time — it’s wearying. Because no one was there in the beginning, or the middle, or even at the end. Our numbers continued to decline from Season 2 on.

[update]He also explained his feelings further in a followup interview with HitFix.com.]

ALSO...

One of the weirdest (though one of the most thematically unified, even if the symbolism and all that was kind of hamfisted) Mad Men episodes I can remember this week.

I just saw a great episode of "American Experience" on PBS about the Panama Canal.

Extremely well made hour-long documentary.

They were going to give up because so many people were dying of Yellow Fever which people believed was caused by unclean living conditions.

They brought in some doctor who was convinced it was a mosquito-bourn malady, but his eradication program was considered too expensive, and many didn't even think he was correct in his mosquito theory.

Teddy Roosevelt's personal physician convinced him to order that the doctor be given everything he needed to eradicate the mosquitos.

He was, and he did. They actually travelled the entire length of the canal, fumigating and pouring oil into puddles and swamps to trap the larvae.

They wiped out Yellow Fever entirely, and the project was able to continue. But that was just one amazing aspect of the canal. The actual digging was brutal work, and then the "water stairway" system they devised was just ahead of it's time. Fascinating stuff.

It's a shame you guys can't get PBS over there, it's some of the best television we've got here.

Its like the Wire condenced down without all the boring pointless shit.

I can't think of any TV series I've ever seen that has less 'pointless shit' than The Wire.

"all the pieces matter"

Swa the first episode of the 1st series of Game of Thrones last night on DVD. Loved it!!!! Good booby count too!

As the series goes on (and the second series seems to be following in the same vein), they appear to have a button in the editing room called 'Cut to Sex'.

I'm not complaining though, because this woman plays a whore in it.

tumblr_lue2ykHctq1qdgpmko1_500.jpg

...Yum.

Â