Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

But GoT is a cut above. In fact I'd say that Tolkein's stuff is superior to GoT only in that it was the first of its genre. GoT goes easy on the magic tricks, elflings and swords-of-destiny, and the characters are ambivalent just like actual people.

A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones is completely different to LOTR in sense of style. Setting is about the only thing they have in common really.

Really? The Lord of the Rings is a fantastic tale of good against evil, truly superb. GoT is simply just a ruthless fight for power. To compare it directly to LotR is baffling, the only similarities are its "fantasy land", "dragons" and "medieval fighting", i.e. not with guns. I'd agree the general fantasy genre is not too dissimilar to your scathing (yet true) osbervation, but A Song of Ice and Fire isn't like that.

All bang on the money for me. It's a shame that some people will be put off the books by the mere mention of the word 'fantasy' because as stated above (and in numerous other places) they are very, very far from the average, run of the mill, churned out shite that does admittedly swamp that particular genre.

Absolutely, but I didn't feel like episode 5 added anything to it at all. Everything that wa sin it could have been included in 5 or 10 minutes on another episode. But maybe something else will become evident at a later time.

Anyway, I still haven't gotten over the over the top acting and awful script in it. I think the storyline and concept (despite it being pretty unoriginal) is good enough to keep me watching, but I really don't see why it's so highly thought of. I could easily stop watching now and not be bothered one bit.

I'm actually inclined to agree now I have watched the whole run. The first four episodes were excellent. Five and six were "shit, we have only got 90 minutes to end this!" and there was a noticeable decline in quality. The final episode was awful.

I think I will still persevere with season 2 though. The main thing I took from season 1 is that six episodes is not long enough to tell this story. The zombie apocalypse is supposed to be a tale of death by a thousand cuts and The Walking Dead almost gets that right, it certainly fits in with my idea that slow zombies are better than fast zombies (fast zombies probably work better in a 90 minute film) because the situation becomes a war of attrition which the protagonists simply cannot win rather than just another monster. A fast zombie might as well be a werewolf.

Absolutely, but I didn't feel like episode 5 added anything to it at all. Everything that wa sin it could have been included in 5 or 10 minutes on another episode. But maybe something else will become evident at a later time.

Anyway, I still haven't gotten over the over the top acting and awful script in it. I think the storyline and concept (despite it being pretty unoriginal) is good enough to keep me watching, but I really don't see why it's so highly thought of. I could easily stop watching now and not be bothered one bit.

I'm actually inclined to agree now I have watched the whole run. The first four episodes were excellent. Five and six were "shit, we have only got 90 minutes to end this!" and there was a noticeable decline in quality. The final episode was awful.

I think I will still persevere with season 2 though. The main thing I took from season 1 is that six episodes is not long enough to tell this story. The zombie apocalypse is supposed to be a tale of death by a thousand cuts and The Walking Dead almost gets that right, it certainly fits in with my idea that slow zombies are better than fast zombies (fast zombies probably work better in a 90 minute film) because the situation becomes a war of attrition which the protagonists simply cannot win rather than just another monster. A fast zombie might as well be a werewolf.

I think the other thing that's making me enjoy it less, is I've been listening to that podcast that someone linked on here "We're Alive" (which for anyone that doesn't know is basically a very similar concept to The Walking Dead but in a radio play sort of format) and it's excellent.

So when I'm watching the Walking Dead I just think to myself "'We're Alive' is actually much better than this".

So I think I'm unfairly comparing it to something else.

Have watched the pilot episodes of sons of anarchy and bored to death recently. Both were fun, the latter pleasantly funny, the other not so! Also deleted my episodes of new girl I had after 5 minutes. Zooey love can only overcome so much awfulNess

Right, imagine LotR with lots more shagging, and Rohan, Gondor, Elves, Isengard, Mordor, Erebor etc all beating the shit out of each other instead of one side against another trying to chuck a ring into a volcano.
Sounds like a good way to make it more shit.

Really? The Lord of the Rings is a fantastic tale of good against evil, truly superb. GoT is simply just a ruthless fight for power. To compare it directly to LotR is baffling, the only similarities are its "fantasy land", "dragons" and "medieval fighting", i.e. not with guns. I'd agree the general fantasy genre is not too dissimilar to your scathing (yet true) osbervation, but A Song of Ice and Fire isn't like that.

Nah, the below-mentioned represents the pinnacle of the medieval fantasy genre for me.

RuneScape-Classic-1-.png

Have watched the pilot episodes of sons of anarchy and bored to death recently. Both were fun, the latter pleasantly funny, the other not so! Also deleted my episodes of new girl I had after 5 minutes. Zooey love can only overcome so much awfulNess

I've watched the three series of Bored to Death and I think you should stick with New Girl, it gets better and although perhaps not side splitting its not too far behind the comedy of Bored to Death.

Because you're not watching anything good on TV.
Nothing that anybody here might have watched, anyway.

I just had a scan back through the thread, and my few contributions all read much the same: "Anybody see [one-off documentary] last night?" With no response.

Whereas I have never seen a single moment of any of the following titles randomly trawled from the thread:

Sons of Anarchy

Bored to Death

Breaking Bad

House

Mad Men

The Shield

Dexter

Game of Thrones

Homeland

We're Alive

Lost

Walking Dead

The Killing

Spartacus

Deadwood

Big Bang Theory

The Sopranos

Weeds

The Borgias

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Alcatraz

Friday Night Lights

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

The West Wing

How I Met Your Mother

Big Bang Theory

Justified

NCIS

CSI anywhere

Law & Order

Southland

New Girl

Modern Family

Treme

The Office (either version)

Californication

Nip-Tuck

Six Feet Under

Eastbound and Down

Arrested Development

I watched half an hour of Deadwood (and hated it) and the pilot episode of The Wire (it was OK).

It seems that "TV show" has a very specific meaning in this thread, so I may as well not bother. Ho hum.

Â