Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

Just started Breaking Bad season 4. Watched first 2 episodes and it just doesnt feel as good as the previous seasons. Is is it me or has it gone a bit dull?

Its a gear change from series 1 to 3. They use bigger storylines and less of them, rather than the previous approach of layering loads of stories into every episode. I much preferred 1 to 3, but 4 is still better than most other things on tv.

Game of Thrones is just very very well done.

Last series yes, this series no. I know quite a few people who watch it who havent read the books, and they're well confused about this series, as am I. Introducing new characters with little explanation to who they are is always a bad move.

Im glad its not just me then

I really enjoyed the last series but I am finding it difficult to remember who is who and whats going on, there is just so much happemning.

Its starting to become one of those series that you already have to know what is going to happen so that you can enjoy it

Time for this again, methinks.

mjm, you are wise to avoid the world which is known as Fantasy, for much of it has descended unto the depths of pure whank, as your writings declare.

But GoT is a cut above. In fact I'd say that Tolkein's stuff is superior to GoT only in that it was the first of its genre. GoT goes easy on the magic tricks, elflings and swords-of-destiny, and the characters are ambivalent just like actual people.

A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones is completely different to LOTR in sense of style. Setting is about the only thing they have in common really.

I'm a reader of the books and I'm up to date and I completely sympathise with anyone who hasn't read them and then tries to watch the TV show and has to figure out what's going on. I watched the first series without reading any of the books and I had to watch the episodes a few times each to remember who was who and who wanted to kill who and what not. The books are a lot more detailed so I would recommend reading them if you really like the TV show.

Season two is, as others have said, even worse in that there's even more new characters introduced. Ten or so episodes an hour long barely scratches the surface of the level of detail in the book. Reading the books definitely helps you enjoy the TV show a lot more in my opinion, but then you're also very aware of the changes that they make in an attempt to squeeze everything in. Still good though.

Loved Breaking Bad S4 myself.

Just started S1 of The Walking Dead. **** EGG in the lead role? How'd he get that gig?

I thought the same, but hes actually pretty perfect as Rick.

Just finished Breaking Bad season 1.

It's superb. I love how it regularly is funny but it's not entirely playing for those laughs, it just so happens that theres a dark humour in the little things going on sometimes.

Looking forward to starting the next season.

I remember the first season was picked up over here by FX, I assume it didn't take off because it appeared to vanish from the airwaves as fast as it arrived.

I'm really enjoying The Killing series 2 at the minute. Weren't too hyped on the first series but for some reason i'm left wanting more with this one.

Watched the first few episodes of the new Mad Men series today too, still absolutely class... love that show.

I'm 4/6 and really enjoying it. Yeah, not every individual episode is wrapped up into a neat little package, but thats not the point, surely?

Absolutely, but I didn't feel like episode 5 added anything to it at all. Everything that wa sin it could have been included in 5 or 10 minutes on another episode. But maybe something else will become evident at a later time.

Anyway, I still haven't gotten over the over the top acting and awful script in it. I think the storyline and concept (despite it being pretty unoriginal) is good enough to keep me watching, but I really don't see why it's so highly thought of. I could easily stop watching now and not be bothered one bit.

Game of Thrones (ASOIAF) is effectively a medieval political thriller. With stuff we'd like to see, like shagging and battle scenes. Far different to Lord of the RIngs, which is THE fantasy/quest tale.

Right, imagine LotR with lots more shagging, and Rohan, Gondor, Elves, Isengard, Mordor, Erebor etc all beating the shit out of each other instead of one side against another trying to chuck a ring into a volcano.

Just watched the latest ep of GOT actually. Decent episode but definitely one that foxuses rather more of setting up shit thats going to happen later rather than have shit happening.

Still, a good watch and things are bubbling away nicely for the series ahead.

Right, imagine LotR with lots more shagging, and Rohan, Gondor, Elves, Isengard, Mordor, Erebor etc all beating the shit out of each other instead of one side against another trying to chuck a ring into a volcano.
Sounds like a good way to make it more shit.

Sounds like a good way to make it more shit.

Really? The Lord of the Rings is a fantastic tale of good against evil, truly superb. GoT is simply just a ruthless fight for power. To compare it directly to LotR is baffling, the only similarities are its "fantasy land", "dragons" and "medieval fighting", i.e. not with guns. I'd agree the general fantasy genre is not too dissimilar to your scathing (yet true) osbervation, but A Song of Ice and Fire isn't like that.

Anyone ever seen "The first 48" ?

Its from the US and follows up homicides, you go to the scene with the Police so a lot of times you see what they see at the crime scenen.

The program then follows the cases (2 per episode) for the first 48 hours and in a lot of cases they get the people who did it within the alloted time for the program, pretty amazing program. Some of the most stupid people in the world can be seen on this program also, they kill each other in America for reasons that are just laughable. Fighting over a "corner" of an estate to deal gear or killing someone over a girl, Im thinking it must be a super model to kill someone over but no, a fat mess of a heroin addict for example. They will now do 30 years in prison for things like this.

Â