Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

15 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I watched One Day on Netflix this week, 14 episodes randing in 19 minutes to 38 minutes. Its based on the David Nicholls book of the same name, previously there had been a film starring Anne Hathaway. 

It was pretty good in my view, but I loved the book and this series was a lot closer to the book than the film, not that the film strayed too far. Ambika mod was excellent as Emma, believable, and so far the online critics haven't had an issue with her ethnicity. The male lead is Leo Woodall and I would say he is the only weak point in it, not a great actor, but the whole thing carries him anyway.

The soundtrack is excellent, lots of indie hits, so if you like a bit of main stream indie, this hits the right notes. As an aside when David Nicholls first released One Day, on his website he had a list of tunes called the Emma morley mixtape, which was a lot better but I suspect they couldnt get permission for it all.

Regardless, if you like David Nicholls outside of Us, this is the best adaption of his work and worth a watch.

How much did you get paid for that review?:detect:

• Haha 2

Going through the seasons of Curb your Enthusiasm again. The episode about Cheryl's Aunts funeral, where Larry is giving marriage advice and says to the guy, "what is it, have I got a breath problem, why do you keep moving your head away?," that had me howling .

What a show.

• Like 1

3rd ep of Halo reverted back to s1 style drama and filler side plots. Get that they need to have build up and flesh out the story, but IMO it's not well enough made. Sure it will pick up again thou.

On 15/02/2024 at 18:32, sne said:

3rd ep of Halo reverted back to s1 style drama and filler side plots. Get that they need to have build up and flesh out the story, but IMO it's not well enough made. Sure it will pick up again thou.

Episode 4 should be a cracker (I hope) 

37 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Just finished my re - run of True Detective S1. That last episode, with Rusts speech about his near death experience, writing does not get better than that. 

An absolute masterpiece of a show. 

I started rewatching s1 and was enjoying but I don’t understand why Sky hasn’t got subtitles for it. I can’t understand what they are saying half the time.

My wife has just started watching Downton Abbey from the start  😑 So that’ll be me up in my maste-, I mean, recording studio for the next 4 months.

36 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

My wife has just started watching Downton Abbey from the start  😑 So that’ll be me up in my maste-, I mean, recording studio for the next 4 months.

It's a decent show to be fair, I didn't fancy watching it at all but I got hooked

1 minute ago, rjw63 said:

It's a decent show to be fair, I didn't fancy watching it at all but I got hooked

I’m resisting. I’m sure if I watched a few I’d get into it. But period drama stuff generally isn’t my thing, and this gives me the encouragement to go to my loft and record my back catalogue of shite, 3-chord pop punk songs that I wrote from 2003 onwards.

46 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

masterbatorium?

• Thanks 1

True Detective S4 post finale thoughts...

Spoiler

Not really too sure why they tried so desperately to link it to S1. Felt completely shoe-horned in and now it's over, it looks rather desperate seeing as all the ways they tried to link it to S1 had no bearing on how it finished. 

General thoughts on the season was that it was good, but didn't really need the True Detective name. Would have been fine as a stand-alone season without the links to S1. 

Ending was a bit meh, but wasn't really expecting much better. 

It also felt that the most interesting part of the show (the DNA that the scientists were extracting) was completely glossed over and we ended up not really knowing what they were trying to achieve. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

I thought, if you'll excuse the pun, the True Detective season 4 finale skated some thin ice at times, but came out the right side of good.

I couldn't help but think it would be lauded if it wasn't carrying the TD title. I enjoyed it, good characters, a good atmosphere, an ending that kinda worked and Jodie Foster putting in a heck of a performance. They threw a bit too many ingredients in, but I thought it was pretty damned good.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, tomav84 said:

finally got around to the bear series 2. better than the first IMO. great TV.

The Taylor Swift chapter is the highlight, the middle of 'Forks', must've watched it about 20 times.

I wonder whether this new ITV series (Breathtaking, about the Covid/PPE fiasco) will have similar impact to the Post Office one? The first episode was pretty uncompromising. 

• Thanks 1

Â