Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

At Celtic he had Bobo Balde, Joos Valgaeren, Henrik Larsson, Lubomir Moravcik, Didier Agathe to name but a few, this shows that your statement that he's not confident managing foreign players is cobblers. He took them to the Uefa Cup final with that team. I think that was the blueprint all along; to sign young english talent and then add to it gradually with bigger european names which I'm confident we will do.

Surely if the story originated in the country that the player in question plays in, then the story has more credibility than if it was in The Mirror?

Thats fine you believe he will, i think you'll be disappointed.

Nothing he has done at Villa has shown he is willing to do that.

Lets be honest its not really a gamble with Celtic he had Guppy and Lennon looking like world beaters in that league, i doubt he was particularly worried who he brought in.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At Celtic he had Bobo Balde, Joos Valgaeren, Henrik Larsson, Lubomir Moravcik, Didier Agathe to name but a few, this shows that your statement that he's not confident managing foreign players is cobblers. He took them to the Uefa Cup final with that team. I think that was the blueprint all along; to sign young english talent and then add to it gradually with bigger european names which I'm confident we will do.

Surely if the story originated in the country that the player in question plays in, then the story has more credibility than if it was in The Mirror?

Thats fine you believe he will, i think you'll be disappointed.

Nothing he has done at Villa has shown he is willing to do that.

Lets be honest its not really a gamble with Celtic he had Guppy and Lennon looking like world beaters in that league, i doubt he was particularly worried who he brought in.

Earth to Jez......Earth to Jez.......Jez are you out there?

Personally I'd be amazed if we sign anyone this summer who hasn't already played in the Premier League. I think we will only sign a couple of players this summer and they will be known faces not 'risk' overseas purchases.

Personally I'd be amazed if we sign anyone this summer who hasn't already played in the Premier League. I think we will only sign a couple of players this summer and they will be known faces not 'risk' overseas purchases.

Absolutely. I would be very surprised myself.

Am I the only one who would be happy if we don't buy anyone this summer? If Mon does sell the senior players that he clearly does not trust to play, it would make space and clear their wages off the books.

He could then concentrate instead on bringing through some of our very good young players, and give them invaluable playing time and big match experience over the next twelve months.

It's a risk, but Fergie did it in 1994 with a bunch of very good young players and the rest is history. Our national team could benefit as well if we are successful.

(i'm now putting my tin hat on. :lol:)

Am I the only one who would be happy if we don't buy anyone this summer? If Mon does sell the senior players that he clearly does not trust to play, it would make space and clear their wages off the books.

He could then concentrate instead on bringing through some of our very good young players, and give them invaluable playing time and big match experience over the next twelve months.

It's a risk, but Fergie did it in 1994 with a bunch of very good young players and the rest is history. Our national team could benefit as well if we are successful.

u put what i want perfectly into words with a nice example. fanatstic, possibly with the only change being a variety in formations with our current players, with young players coming in. more game time for fonz less for heskey/sale of heskey

Spot on SGC. We have a model and a plan and will continue with it. That plan might be to have a solid core of experienced british based players at low risk and then look to add some gambles, this is what I think it is. Could be that MON doesn't want to talk to any foreigners either but I highly doubt that. He has shown he is an intelligent and determined man so he would not rule out such a catchment area of the rest of the world!!

I guess it could be one of those repetitive jokes that forums are rife with, unfortunately I don't get those jokes.

I wouldn't disagree with your belief that they will all be known faces but I do think he will have to sign more than just a couple of players if the reports of clearing out the fringe players are true. We will have no recognised RB and only a first choice LB. We will also have lost Sidwell and Gardner from our CM squad with the possibility that NRC and Milner are off as well which could leave us very short in this area. Add to this the fact that we all know our forward line needs surgery, I think we should be expecting to see at least 5 or 6 new signings?

I see what your saying and I would agree but I wouldn't want to suffer the same issue this season like last season and that's our striking options. Heskey is just indescribable, Carew plays when he wants to and Gabby needs a better pair of consistency boots.

I'd take the £30M for Milner anyway. Like people have uttered before I don't think most of us understand how much money that is and we should accept the opportunity whilst we can (if there's truth in it).

Regarding youngsters I'd love to see Albrighton and Bannan played a bit more this season and perhaps try Downing out in the Milner sort of position or behind the striker. We should try this in our pre-season friendlies!

Been a football player, fan, referee, referee assessor for many years. Didn't pay much attention to club business until the past few years. Why are so many always so angry that MoN leaves it late. Who cares when he does business. It seems to me that the business that's done is the key. I don't care if it's day one or the 11th hour. More often than not, I have liked the deals he has made. (Not all of them, mind you, but more often than not.)

Anyway, I would like to see a holding mid-fielder, and a forward. If we take the 30 mill for Milner, then add a creative midfielder to that list and use the money to get all three just a little better than we could afford without it. (But August seems as good as yesterday, to me.)

The reason that doing business late is viewed as a problem is because if he makes an offer that the other team won't take, then we don't have any time to negotiate - Therefore we miss out.

OR - the fact that it'd be nice to get a few transfers done early on so that we can use the rest of the pre-season to actually work them into our team. Instead of buying them in the last week and dropping them straight into a Prem game.

I wouldn't disagree with your belief that they will all be known faces but I do think he will have to sign more than just a couple of players if the reports of clearing out the fringe players are true. We will have no recognised RB and only a first choice LB. We will also have lost Sidwell and Gardner from our CM squad with the possibility that NRC and Milner are off as well which could leave us very short in this area. Add to this the fact that we all know our forward line needs surgery, I think we should be expecting to see at least 5 or 6 new signings?

I don't disagree with what you are saying we need, in fact I think you are spot on. I still though think we will only sign 2 or 3 players.

I don't disagree with what you are saying we need, in fact I think you are spot on. I still though think we will only sign 2 or 3 players.

even with the amount of players that are ment to heading out the door??.