Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

Except he isn't really called Pantsil. His name family name is Paintsil, but it was mistakenly registered as Pantsil on his birth certificate. This then appeared on his passport and his registration with the Premier League.

Not heard that before. So why doesn't he have the correct name on his shirt?

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I think we'll sign about 5 players with roughly the same number leaving and a few of the best kids promoted to boost numbers further. The players coming in will be better than those leaving and we'll be stronger. We'll also spend a fair bit more than we recoup.

Bonkers positive.

No, I think we'll sign about 5 players with roughly the same number leaving and a few of the best kids promoted to boost numbers further. The players coming in will be better than those leaving and we'll be stronger. We'll also spend a fair bit more than we recoup.

Bonkers positive.

Yes, we've just signed a new £20m sponsorship contract and we have a billionaire owner who has consistently spent money on improving the club/squad plus we have quite a few players to sell/release to raise funds.

I dont know where I get my ideas from.

Bonkers positive.

Yes, we've just signed a new £20m sponsorship contract and we have a billionaire owner who has consistently spent money on improving the club/squad plus we have quite a few players to sell/release to raise funds.

The owner also indicated sell to buy, as well as the club being self sustaining.

Your also assuming players will want to come to Villa and sit on the bench.

MON has shown no evidence that fighting for your place ensures you have a chance of being in the first team unless your a favourite.

Players are dumb agents are not.

Good luck with your 5 players in.

Bonkers positive.

The owner also indicated sell to buy, as well as the club being self sustaining.

MON has shown no evidence that fighting for your place ensures you have a chance of being in the first team unless your a favourite.

You're a real fountain of positivity this summer aren't you Jez, we all REALLY look forward to your inspirational and motivational words.....

You've misunderstood Randy's meaning of sell to buy, which doesn't suprise me.

I dont really know what you're going on about with the rest of your post. Which again, doesn't suprise me.

There’s money there to be spent on the team,” he said.

“I say that carefully within the context of knowing the summer brings a very dynamic environment of players coming and going and rethinking existing contracts.

“So I’m careful not to simply say here’s a brand new amount of money, go and spend it. I’d prefer to say our ambitions to get better remain and that we are not in some sort of mode in which we are shutting the door on spending on players.

“But to say it simply as a lone statement without including it in the broader realities of what the summer brings would be misleading.

I think there’s a sell-to-buy policy in nearly every organisation on the planet.

“I think that it’s good business to try to sell to buy.

“I think. on the other. hand if opportunities arise in which the net number of sell-to-buy doesn’t equal what’s required to take advantage of an opportunity then you may spend the money and I wouldn’t exclude us from that group that may do that.”

There. That's for you and every idiot journalist that keeps insisting we have to raise money from sales before we can spend. Not. True.

I agree with Jez, I can't see us bringing in 5 players.

3 maybe. A striker, a fullback & a midfielder. I'd like one more (another striker), but I can't see us bringing in more than 3 personally. Unless we were to bring in a few untested players for £1m or £2m.

I don't think we really need more than that. MON sticks with the team that he feels is the best - there would be no point in bringing in any more players if they're just going to sit on the bench until their value goes down then sell them to lower the wage bill. The only problem we could encounter is if we get injuries and then have to trust the young players to step up.

There. That's for you and every idiot journalist that keeps insisting we have to raise money from sales before we can spend. Not. True.

Oh dear Maz so aggressive again, dont really get why is H&V closed again or something?

We'll see wont we what happens, its just a difference of opinion and your back is up again.

When we sign 5 players, and it costs more than any out goings....

As i said good luck with that.

I dont think it will happen.

You're a real fountain of positivity this summer aren't you Jez, we all REALLY look forward to your inspirational and motivational words.....

Ok banned, we will sign 10 players, none will leave and all will be from outside of the premier league....

Positive enough? ;)

Oh dear Maz so aggressive again, dont really get why is H&V closed again or something?

We'll see wont we what happens, its just a difference of opinion and your back is up again.

When we sign 5 players, and it costs more than any out goings....

As i said good luck with that.

I dont think it will happen.

Aggressive? My back isnt up at all. Why would it be?

Just clarifying what Randy said and meant as you got a bit confused apparently. You're not the only one. The so called journalists at the Mirror and Birmingham Mail did too. And several others across the Villa forums.

Just clarifying what Randy said and meant as you got a bit confused apparently. You're not the only one. The so called journalists at the Mirror and Birmingham Mail did too. And several others across the Villa forums.

I do agree with you Mazrim the original words from Randy have been at best miss understood and at worst manipulated by certain parts of the media to fit their stories, which at the time were 'O'Neill to quit' headlines.

It also seems that this notion that we must sell to buy has become so repeated its almost an alternative truth which has become accepted by many, as you say both in the media and in the fan base which I think was the point you were making, your aggression I saw as being towards journo's which I think is understandable.

I do though agree with Jez that I think its highly likely we will only see a small number of players arrive this summer. I don't think that is being negative, I just think its a realistic prediction taking into account all the factors involved.

Mazrim is right when he says that we have all the money we need to buy without selling. Randy Lerner's sound and sensible business plan for AVFC means that non-players on large wages will be sold asap to accommodate new players.

However as I've said before we have a rare and potentially valuable commodity that I would love to see utilised before we bring in more senior players with "premiership experience." We have half a dozen very good young players with the ability and technique to allow them the opportunity to play in the premiership. They could turn out to be better than any players that we can currently attract to Villa.

We will never know unless we give these lads an extended run in the team, which means giving them much more than a couple of pre-season games.

Yes, I don't think we will sign any more than 4 MAX. I reckon actually 2-3. It's not about quantatity though, we have the basis of a very good team, squad. If we can sell the deadwood and bring in 2-3 players who can make the difference then I think we are in really good shape, as long as we don't sell Milner.

I didn't say anything about being negative. I just wanted that Buy to Sell point clarified.

You're right in that the Journalists annoy me because they even printed that story themselves and completely misinterpreted it.

Deliberately? Maybe, but I wouldn't ingore the possibilty they are just piss poor quality journalists.

His first line in the article was even "There is money to be spent on the team". We hadn't even signed the FxPro deal then either.

And still that buillshit is being recycled.

Anyway, as for players coming in. You say 2 or 3. O.K but we're not going to let the squad numbers drop are we? So if 2 or 3 are coming in then only 2 or 3 will be sold and I can't see that.

So I think we'll sell 5, 6 maybe 7 and buy 4 or 5 and they'll cost more than our incomings because we can afford it. They might not all be top class obviously but good players. Better than we sell for instance. Then a couple of the academy lads will play more of a role in the squad as is only right because they are excellent.

I dont see what was excessively positive about that. Seems like common sense to me.

The likes of Harewood, Bouma Osbourne, Salifou, Marshall, Sidwell, Beye, Shorey as well as Heskey, Young, Reo Coker and Davies maybe might all be off for all we know or have already left.

O.K some of them never figured much and have already been replaced but its quite a lot of players to replace in a squad. A couple of kids might step up like Siegrist, Gardner and Weimann to join Albrighton, Delfouneso and Clark but there will still be a few to find if we let that many go.

I didn't say anything about being negative.

No quite right you didn't, that was a point made by someone else.

You're right in that the Journalists annoy me because they even printed that story themsleves and completely misinterpreted it.

Deliberately? Maybe, but I wouldn't ingore the possibilty they are just piss poor quality journalists.

Without question some are just shite, no doubt. I think its a case of both to be honest.

Anyway, as for players coming in. You say 2 or 3. O.K but we're not going to let the squad numbers drop are we? So if 2 or 3 are coming in then only 2 or 3 will be sold and I can't see that.

The way I see it is that we will sell more than we sign this summer so in that respect the squad will get smaller. The players that leave unless Milner goes will be bit part players unlike last summer when we lost Laursen and Barry.

In place of some of the squad players I think O'Neill will sign or try to sign 2 or 3 better quality players such as Keane for instance who can come in, make an impact and improve us more than those leaving.

In terms of the size of the squad I think the drop in numbers caused by more going out than coming in will be made up by a number of the young players being far more involved.

I think the likes of Clarke, Defounesso and Albrighton will all be regulars in the first team squad next season and a number of others will take their places on the fringe.

So I think we sell more than we buy but the size of the squad will stay about the same.

So I think we'll sell 5, 6 maybe 7 and buy 4 or 5 and they'll cost more than our incomings because we can afford it. They might not all be top class obviously but good players. Better than we sell for instance. Then a couple of the academy lads will play more of a role in the squad as is only right because they are excellent.

So basically we agree, we just differ on the numbers of players involved I guess.

Bonkers positive.

MONs lack of rotation works both way. A player may think he'll come to villa to sit on a bench and get few opportunities but he may also believe he can come in an establish himself and is unlikely to be dropped if he makes the odd mistake.