• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Six for sale according to The Guardian

Martin O'Neill ready to begin major overhaul of Aston Villa squad

• Midlands club will listen to offers for six fringe players

• Villa manager can generate funds to strengthen squad

Martin O'Neill yesterday signalled his intention to oversee a major overhaul of his Aston Villa squad this summer by informing six fringe players that the Midlands club will listen to offers for them. Curtis Davies, Luke Young, Nigel Reo-Coker, Steve Sidwell, Nicky Shorey and Habib Beye – who all struggled to hold down a first-team place last season – were told they could leave provided Villa's valuation of them is met.

All six players were O'Neill signings but few made an impression during the last campaign – only two of the group, Sidwell and Young, started more than 10 Premier League matches – as the Villa manager resisted the temptation to chop and change his side. With Randy Lerner, the Villa chairman, expected to be more circumspect in the transfer market this summer, O'Neill may well have reasoned that selling those on the periphery is necessary to generate funds to bring in fresh blood and strengthen.

Davies, who was in Fabio Capello's thoughts last season but was unable to win his Villa place back at the turn of the year after returning from a lengthy spell on the sidelines following shoulder surgery, is likely to attract the biggest fee. Signed for £9m a little under two years ago, the central defender was hailed as a future Villa captain when he joined the club from West Bromwich Albion but he has been unable to dislodge the successful centre-back pairing of Richard Dunne and James Collins.

Reo-Coker's future looked to be in doubt from the moment that he clashed with O'Neill on the training field near the start of the season. There appears little chance of Villa recouping anywhere near the £8.5m they paid West Ham United for the midfielder. Sidwell also seemed destined to leave following another frustrating season when he failed to recapture the form that led to a move from Reading to Chelsea before he signed for Villa.

Shorey, who has spent much of this season on loan, enjoying spells at Nottingham Forest and Fulham, will have been resigned to leaving, although Villa supporters will be disappointed to see Young depart. The former England international, who is expected to join Fulham, received a rousing ovation when he was introduced as a substitute against Blackburn Rovers on Sunday and can count himself unfortunate to have lost his place to Carlos Cuéllar last season.

What do think they'd go for?

Davies £5.5m

Young £2m

Reo Coker £4m

Sidwell £2m

Shorey £2m

Beye £500k

That'd give us £16m to spend which if we can add another £8-9m to it would I think be enough for us to find a striker and a right back.

Those six out and a CM and Striker in would probably represent a decent window, albeit one that leaves us short at both fullback positions.

Davies 6m

Young 4m

Reo-Coker 3-4m

Sidwell 4m

Shorey 2m

Beye 2m

Young is still a top quality player and should have many suitors so I can see him going for a few million despite his age. Shorey I feel doesn't have much value now, he's struggled to get in both ours and Fulhams side, so I can see him dropping down a league. Sidwell despite being poor for us, I can see someone such as Bolton taking a gamble on him. Beye we signed him for 4m, so we should really be looking to get half our money back. Davies is a young English centre half and was actually doing well for us, due to that he should really get the largest fee of the lot. As for Reo-Coker I'm unsure, his contract is expiring in a year so I can't see him going for as much as we'd like.

So they're all up for sale..

Sidwell - good

Shorey - good

NRC - good, as there's no use keeping him if we don't play him

Beye - good

Davies- I'd prefer him to stay

Luke Young - Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

I might send Randy an email and give him the heads up that we'll make more money from football and transfers if we sell that spanish chap with the beard.

Be good for Davies to stay, but we have 3 quality central defender (Dunne, Collins, Cuellar) + the reserves Clark, Lowry etc.

NRC - good player, but would be better suited to a battling mid-table team where he would really shine. We could recoup a good part of his original fee, but certainly not all!

Luke Young has to stay...!

I wouldn't be surprised if Wenger went in for Curtis Davies, actually. Beefs up the English quota, has been interested in the past, and would be patient enough to allow him to develop.

As for ins, what do people think of Martin Olsson from Blackburn?

Davies - £6.5 - £7m

Young - £3 - £4m

Beye - £1 - £2m

Sidwell - £4m

NRC - £4 - £5m

Shorey - £1 - £2m

£19.5m minimum - £24m maximum. See if Randy would be willing to put say £15m of his money in for transfers and that would give us a nice kitty.

Be good for Davies to stay, but we have 3 quality central defender (Dunne, Collins, Cuellar) + the reserves Clark, Lowry etc.

NRC - good player, but would be better suited to a battling mid-table team where he would really shine. We could recoup a good part of his original fee, but certainly not all!

Luke Young has to stay...!

Rather sell Carlos, because of his age etc., especially if RM are still interested.

Hoping that NRC stays and plays, but can't see it if blinkered MON stays. NRC's battling is just what we have needed this season, especially when Stan tires!

I would like Luke to stay. Best right back we have had for ages.

if these six go then we are back to our thin squad issues from 08-09. We'll have no cover at LB, RB or CB (unless you want to count Cuellar who will be playing RB). And only one experienced CMF on the bench (probably Petrov if we get a new CMF)

That would be suicide Dante. We'd barely have a squad left!

It's who is linked to move this summer, don't shoot the poster! lol.

If all 6 of those went we'd obviously need a right back with that money, and a cover left back. I'd like someone to come in and replace Sidwell. Baker can step up and take the 4th cover CB spot. A young DM would be nice too.

So that's 4 players needed. Any extra on a striker.

Behrami and Parker (RB / MC), Huddlestone (DM), IAN HARTE! (Cover LB)

Davies - £6.5 - £7m

Young - £3 - £4m

Beye - £1 - £2m

Sidwell - £4m

NRC - £4 - £5m

Shorey - £1 - £2m

£19.5m minimum - £24m maximum. See if Randy would be willing to put say £15m of his money in for transfers and that would give us a nice kitty.

Not sure about letting Davies go but I agree with the rest but Randy will need to dig a LOT deeper than 15 M, 15 M + the money from the above (even Davies included) would give us enough to stand still or a furry kitten transfer fund. The higher you want to go up the league the more it will cost you in raw money, like adding 10 mph to a 200 mph car you can mess about with the shape of wing mirrors and spoilers all day long but the bottom line is more BHP is needed.

That's just the way it is, loserfool might case in on Torres/Gerrard and Mancity can do and buy anyone so we got problems ahead I fear. The 15 M needs to be 35 -45 M + the above money. Don't forget we need to get 4th place as we have not progressed up the league for a while.

Just how I see it currently.

People are obsessed with finishing 4th. Yes it is extra money (only if you can stay in the competition) and you can attract higher calibre players, but personally i'd like to see us cement ourselves as a top 5/6 (which we have done the last 3 seasons) club AND in Europe.

I don't want us to get ahead of ourselves. To be honest if we had got the Champions League spot this season we wouldn't have got very far. Sounds pessimistic i know.